Premed 101 Forums

M.Sc (masters) to Dental School

• 4 weeks later...

This is an excellent idea. Especially for UT dentistry. They tend to favor people in graduate programs with the purpose of ultimately being clinician researchers (something dentistry lacks relative to medicine, since so many dentists go straight into private practice). So yes, if you come from an MSc or PhD program, they will be much more lenient on your cGPA than if you were to apply straight from undergrad.

Im considering doing a master's/grad program prior to applying to dental school, for the reason that my first 2 years of undergrad were satisfactory. Has anybody taken this route or have any thoughts on it?

I was considering going into a masters program (and I even got an offer in biomed engineering) but admissions at UWO (the school i got waitlisted at last year) said that it was in my best interest to just take a special year. At UWO they don't look at your GPA from masters (but they do give you a few bonus pts which apparently don't help much). I was informed that it would probably be better to take a "special year" of studies and to reapply the following year (plus once you're in a masters program you have to commit for 2-3 years at least). I think it all depends where you want to go.

Masters is the next "IN" thing. Everyone is doing a masters especially those that were part of the double cohort. I feel that even after doing a masters, the competition may still be the same since people who graduated in 2007 will be done around 2009 (mostly...i know its an overgeneralization) and then we would all be competing for the same spots... same high GPAs and high DAT scores. Is this ever going to end???? I blame Mike Harris for all this...I hate him with a passion, he screwed everyone born in 1985. I am cursing him.

I'm currently doing Masters, so I hope it helps. I'm also taking undergrad courses to boost up my gpa. You could also try an do a master of science in dentistry. They have 2 kinds of masters for that in UofT : one graduate studies after bachelor and the other is for dental students.

Hmmmm...master of science in dentistry eh.....sounds tempting. I thought it was only for dental students. I think the one at UWO is only for dental students.

Archived