Premed 101 Forums

Which universities limit the # of As they give out

dil123

Is it only UofT or do other universities also have some policy to limit the number of students that can get high marks? I would think Queen's also does it( maybe not as much as UofT), but what about other universities in Ontario, mainly interested in Western, York, McMaster?

dil, as you posted elsewhere.. just take one step at a time and have fun doing it. It is sometimes nice to think of the future and where you'll be in x years (we all do it) but don't lose sight of the next step. You seem to be looking for some reassurance that everything will be fine, and it will if you focus on yourself and your goals.

I thought all schools limited the # of As given out. If half of your class gets As, then your A doesn't mean the same as someone whose class avg was C. I know at UofT, it depended on class size. If the class size was small (around 40 students) then the # of As weren't limited.

Guest begaster

I've never seen a prof curve downwards at York, so nobody limits A's here. That being said, the class average generally hovers around 60-65%. You'll never find yourself in a situation with a prof saying that you got a 90%, but because so did ten other people, you only get a B.

Deg, can you blame him? Remember how freaky university seemed when you were in grade 11/12? Dil, if you have any questions about York specifically, feel free to PM me (or post in this forum and I'll see it sooner or later).

I've never seen a prof curve downwards at York, so nobody limits A's here. That being said, the class average generally hovers around 60-65%. You'll never find yourself in a situation with a prof saying that you got a 90%, but because so did ten other people, you only get a B.

Deg, can you blame him? Remember how freaky university seemed when you were in grade 11/12? Dil, if you have any questions about York specifically, feel free to PM me (or post in this forum and I'll see it sooner or later).

If there are too many A's or the average is too high, the prof has to explain why to the faculty in a letter. They just avoid this by making the final harder if need be. It rarely ever happens though.

dil, as you posted elsewhere.. just take one step at a time and have fun doing it. It is sometimes nice to think of the future and where you'll be in x years (we all do it) but don't lose sight of the next step. You seem to be looking for some reassurance that everything will be fine, and it will if you focus on yourself and your goals.

Hey, I know what you mean, the only reason I'm asking too many questions is first because I can't decide where to go, 2nd because I wanna know as much as possible about universities so I can best prepare for them or at least so I'm not lost when I get there.

60-65% hmm, even at UofT, it's sometime around 70%. Do you think it is low because of hard tests( like UofT) or is it because of students because they have like high 70s, low 80s from high school( not to say those are bad marks). I guess it's the latter because from E-Info only about 15% have higher than 90 going into biological sciences. This is so stressful lol, I just wanna go into a program which doesn't require you to be absolutely brilliant and where I can get a high GPA( 3.9-4.0) most of it through just hard work.

Guest begaster

No, it's not York-specific. From what I've talked to with other friends, C/C+ is the average class-average in U of T as well. I doubt Queen's, Mac, or Western are any different.

Okay, thanks NLengr and Namtes. I'm glad it's more hardwork because now it just gives you hope because it is more like up to you to determine your mark by how much hard you're willing to work.

@ Begaster, I know it's not just York-specific, but I thought seeing how almost everyone agrees York is easier than UofT, they wouldn't limit the average to C/C+ like UofT because then they would be equally hard. But I guess difficulty is determined by how smart/hardworking students are.

Archived