Premed 101 Forums

Which prepcourse to take?

Egorema@hotmail.com

don't listen to this guy as he doesn't know what he's talking about...he took TPR and still failed :P :p

he's blaming TPR, but who's to say he wouldn't have ended up with 5 5 5 M w/o it :P :p

=P =P

In all seriousness, don't go into it because you're worried about taking on the test... just make urself a study schedule and go for it! I should have done that instead of wasted so much time in class (you'd figure I'd realize this since I skip most of my classes anyway).

Ok, a list of things that you woould want to have

-access to ALL aamc tests, especially 7-10

-examcrackers verbal reasoning and mathematics strategy

-exam crackers 101 passages.

after that, whatever floats ur boat, but with the above items u have what you need to get a good score.

I felt Kaplan is more for those who like independent study while TPR is more class based, or so I've told

Few things to remeber:

-EK is genrally helpful for VR

-nothing is better tha AAMC tests

I took Kaplan. They're pretty good. They offer you all of the aamc tests with your fee and they give you tons of their own practice tests too (which are generally harder than the actual aamc tests but they're good prep for anything the mcats may throw at you).

Ok, a list of things that you woould want to have

-access to ALL aamc tests, especially 7-10

-examcrackers verbal reasoning and mathematics strategy

-exam crackers 101 passages.

after that, whatever floats ur boat, but with the above items u have what you need to get a good score.

I felt Kaplan is more for those who like independent study while TPR is more class based, or so I've told

Few things to remeber:

-EK is genrally helpful for VR

-nothing is better tha AAMC tests

This is great advice, I 100% agree with all of it.

Personally, I took the Kaplan course, they give you a tonne of practice questions, an approach to the different sections and the opportunity to write the test in real time (full day exam, proctored like the real thing). I wrote a practice exam right before starting the course and my test results after the course were 4-5 points higher in each section. I am sure there are other ways of preparing, but this definitely worked for me.

One thing to keep in mind, different schools use the MCAT in different ways. It can be integrated into grading scheme or it may just be a cut off, or not used at all. You don’t need 14’s to get into medical school, nor will a 14 guarantee you get into medical school! It really is the bigger picture. So if you have the choice between studying enough to get 10s and 11s and doing some extracurricular stuff, or studying enough to get a 14, I would take the first choice.

Cheers,

Anne

Archived