Premed 101 Forums

IP Interviews

Inspired17

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong here, but I still think the invites will come in the next day or 2...

By telling you Wednesday the earliest they guarantee that you won't call back before then.

This is not based on any scientific research, just the way I would do things if I was in charge. Although, to date they have just kept saying "soon, soon, soon" and those dates keep passing us by.

STOP PROLONGING MY PAIN MCGILL AND JUST BREAK THE BAD NEWS ALREADY!

The thing is they don't break bad news until April, so its only good news this week. The bad news is just by assumption... but I must say it still hurts just as bad.

Trust me... logging onto these forums and seing "I got the invite!" 15 posts in a row and knowing that your status still says "ready to review" is not a good feeling.

The actual rejection is just a formality

It's possible, it could also be a change in the number of spots allocated by the ministry, or they had such positive feedback from OOP and Intl MMIs that they've decided to rearrange the format. Or they were just backlogged for some other reason, since they still hadn't sorted through all the supporting documents until a couple of weeks ago, based on my previous experience which I mentioned earlier. If we're going to list off vague hypotheses we might as well be thorough.

It's possible, it could also be a change in the number of spots allocated by the ministry, or they had such positive feedback from OOP and Intl MMIs that they've decided to rearrange the format. Or they were just backlogged for some other reason, since they still hadn't sorted through all the supporting documents until a couple of weeks ago, based on my previous experience which I mentioned earlier. If we're going to list off vague hypotheses we might as well be thorough.

adding more seats for IP would be good ;)

just out of curiosity - how do you figure there are more applicants this year? is it posted somewhere?

hi elastigirl!

I posted in IP numbers tread

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25534

what I saw during the ROSS med school presentation a few days ago. (if someone remembers these numbers better, please correct me).

And here are our approximations w/th some corrections (thanks to The Bunny):

Hi guys!

I would say that math could look like that:

172(today)-150(from previous year) = 22 spots were added

2-3 spots could go for Intnl appctns + OOP

19 spots are divided btw two group, roughly 45% x55% (CEGEP x Un grads)

So, for the Un grads it would be equal to... 9 additional spots (?), including MD/MBA and MD/PhD, so it comes to ~ 6-7

Last year there were ~180 applications from ROQ for ~75 MD/CM spots.

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admiss...nts_all_en.htm

BUt! those who applied for MD/MBA and MD/PhD and were not qualified ended up in the same pool with MD/CM applicants, so, with actual proportion being close to ~220-230 (some Intl and OOP would participate in other pool, so, I aproximated smth like "minus 20-30") applcnts for 75 MD/CM places

So, we had 75/230 = 30.67 % chance last year

Today we have approximately 6 more places, i.e ~ 81 spots and 249 IP applicants (not sure if all of them are applying for MD/CM, let's say everyone does):

81/249 = 32.5% chance is almost the same, or 1/3

Not that bad, guys!

It looks like 2/3 of us could potentially get an interview even if they interview 2x people (= ~162, i.e. ~80 applicants will be rejected pre-interview)

these are my two cents, correct me please.

Good luck to everyone!

I actually wasn't too surprised to hear that interview invites wouldn't be sent until wednesday......because I got an email from them on friday afternoon asking me to re-send my autobiographical letter. Apparently they're having system problems and are loosing stuff (They also lost my CV a couple weeks back....).

oh dear!

hi elastigirl!

I posted in IP numbers tread

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25534

what I saw during the ROSS med school presentation a few days ago. (if someone remembers these numbers better, please correct me).

And here are our approximations w/th some corrections:

Thanks Sergie! 2/3 odds to get an interview sounds promising. I just hope I don't pass out from a hernia waiting for the invite/rejection!

If new spots are added to the IP pool it will be maximum 5 and divided between pre-med and med.

Hi the Bunny!

Why are so sure about those 5 additional spots (not 6-7 for instance)? I understand, we are just guessing, but still? You have better position knowing things from inside... Tell us please!

Having lived there myself, I can tell you that the only reason that there is a shortage of Drs is because Ontario pays its physicians more money and since Gatineau-Hull-Aylmer is right next to Ottawa, Drs all work there. Plus the fact the the hospitals are really crappy...

But I don't think that is the reason for the delay :D I stand by my previous reason.

This will not be an issue for another 3-4 years minimum.

Do you think a medical school just appears out of thin air?? This is definitely not a factor in the admissions process...

Archived