Premed 101 Forums

Good TV documentary on Canadian healthcare tonight

p0tus

Hey everyone,

Just thought this might be helpful to some of you deciding on medicine as a career. It'll also help those who want to get a better idea about Canadian healthcare to prep for interviews etc.

CBC will be airing a documentary about the current doctor shortage and why current medical students aren't so happy about choosing a career in family medicine. I'm sure it'll also provide other great info about our health care system at large. Airing tonight (Thursday) at 9 PM on CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/desperatelyseekingdoctors.html

Good luck with everything!

Hey guys,

I'm guessing DalNeuron is correct in that the program will be aired at 9pm across Canada (since the website just says 9pm and no ET or PT around it). As for watching it online, no idea about that one. But isn't CBC one of the regular TV channels? I didn't know you needed cable to watch it.

I don't know what French channels I get. It would be a happy thing if I actually understood French. Although I think my dad might actually be picking up on it...he keeps watching these English movies they dub in French without understanding a word. Who knows, he may even end up knowing more than me by the end.

I was disappointed that they seem to suggest the only way that we can keep recruiting family doctors is through the combined health professional model. There are many family doctors focus on various activities that GPs traditionally did--emerg, hospitalist, maternity care, etc.--and really enjoy the mixed duties. They get paid a little more and see more variety.

Archived