Premed 101 Forums

Referees?

I've got a question about who to ask to be my referees.

For the Community Reference and Personal Reference, the explanations are a bit vague.

For the community referee, would they prefer someone from the public that you've worked with? Or a current or past boss that is a professional? Which would look better? I suppose its probably a question of who would fill out the form better for you, but beyond that what type of people are they looking for as referees?

And for the Personal Referee, it seems as though they've left it up to you to choose anyone that you think will make you look best. Could it be from a friend? Or are they looking for someone you've worked with in a volunteer or professional role?

Thanks to anyone that can offer me any advice! - I'm a first time applicant so this is all new to me.

I've got a question about who to ask to be my referees.

For the Community Reference and Personal Reference, the explanations are a bit vague.

For the community referee, would they prefer someone from the public that you've worked with? Or a current or past boss that is a professional? Which would look better? I suppose its probably a question of who would fill out the form better for you, but beyond that what type of people are they looking for as referees?

And for the Personal Referee, it seems as though they've left it up to you to choose anyone that you think will make you look best. Could it be from a friend? Or are they looking for someone you've worked with in a volunteer or professional role?

Thanks to anyone that can offer me any advice! - I'm a first time applicant so this is all new to me.

For the community referee, I would choose someone who can write positively about the characteristics that make you suitable for medicine but also about your professionalism and commitment to better your community and to help others around you etc etc. I would think the best person for this would be one of your volunteer supervisors.

Personal referee can be anyone, but I would not choose a friend. A current or former boss would be suitable. Another volunteer supervisor is fine too. Technically doesn't have to be a professional relationship but with a few exceptions it would otherwise fall into the “friend” category. However, if you are friends with someone who is or was your superior, then that works.

Archived