Premed 101 Forums

writing MCAT without a science background

teacherlady

Hello all!

I'm a non-traditional applicant, dreaming of medical school after 6 years of teaching. I did my 4-year undergrad in anthropology and psychology (graduated in 2000). The last time I took a science class was in 1995/96, when I took OAC biology and physics! I never took chemistry at all. I'm smart and I'm a fast learner. I'm also very comfortable with self-teaching, but obviously I'll need some time and some good resources. I'm currently signed up for biology 1 through Athabasca University, but haven't received my materials yet.

When I first started seriously thinking about this a few weeks ago, my first thought was: hey, no problem! I'll get some good books and write the MCAT in August. Errrr...yeah. Probably not a good idea. (Unless, of course, someone out there wants to tell me differently!) So instead, I'll just apply to Mac and Ottawa this year. If I don't get in, then I'll prepare for the MCAT and write it in Summer 2009.

So here's my question after that lengthy intro: which courses should take precendence over the next year? HOW should I prepare for the MCAT, taking into consideration the fact that I work full-time (which, for a teacher, tends to be all-encompassing between September and June)? I won't be able to dedicate 8 hours a day to studying, but I'll definitely be able to finish a 3-credit Athabasca course in 3 months during the school year. I'll finish bio 1 and 2 before the end of the summer, so what should come next? Physics? Chemistry? Which books/practice tests are best and when should I start working through them? I'm not as concerned about VR or WS, because I read and write non-stop in my profession.

I have read through most of this board and done countless searches about the best way to prepare, but I haven't found much about someone in my situation (with zero science background), so I'd love to hear some more advice.

Thanks!

Thanks! I've already read that thread, and the other ones on this board, but it didn't really answer my questions.

I guess I'm wondering:

In the experience of people who've already taken it which courses are MOST important for doing well on the MCAT? I'm going to do as many as I can, but I'm not sure how many courses I'll be able to get through over the next year. As I said, I've already enrolled in biology 1 (3 credits) through Athabasca U. Should I take biology 2 next? Or would I be best to take all of the 3 credit "part 1"s first (chem, physics, bio)?

How much time do I have to set aside for studying solely for the MCAT, with a non-science background? I've seen the words "more than if you have a science degree", but what does that mean? More than what? How much time does someone from a science background usually put into studying? I realize that every person is different and that I certainly can't expect specifics, but if anyone else has been in the same position as me, I would really love to hear about it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

although i think if you have a science background it helps, it's not essential. i did not have any physics background whatsoever and i did not find the material all that difficult (and scored decently on the physical sci section).

don't be discouraged, get a hold of some kaplan books (or somthing similar) and just work your way through the chapters... i spent anywhere from 30min to a day on each chapter...

cheers ;)

Archived