Premed 101 Forums

Northern med school

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Does anyone know what kind of entrance requirement policy it will have?

MCAT?

all undergrad courses vs 2 yrs?

Just wondering what entrance system it will mirror out of the ones now available

Guest Ian Wong

Moving out of the General Premed forum into the OMSAS/Ontario forum... There's been previous discussion on the Northern med school, and I think the concensus was that no admissions details (pre-reqs, stats, etc) had yet been decided upon/released to the public.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest UOMeds05

I have been led to believe that the MCAT would not be part of the admission requirement like Ottawa and Mac. Like Ottawa, their mandate will be specific and therefore preference will be given to students from the North, and those interested in practicing rural medicine.

There is already a lot of info available from the school itself... check out their website:

www.normed.ca/en/

Hello UOMeds05,

I dunno if this belongs here or in the Ottawa Board, but rather than disrupt the flow of the thread I thought i'd tack it on here... Just a quick question about your comment that like the Ottawa U med school, the Northern med school has a specific mandate...

I'm wondering, what did you mean by the Ottawa U med school's specific mandate? What is this mandate? Could you perhaps elaborate a bit more on this?

Thanks in advance!

Guest UOMeds05

Well, in their mission statement, University of Ottawa states (and I can't remember all the wording) that they will give priority to applicants of the Ottawa area, North-Eastern Ontario, Francophone and Aboriginal background. This is why there are so many different cut-off marks for interviews...

Guest camillefr

the excerpt from ottawa u mission statement. i put the entire mission statement on ottawa medical school forum so we can all benefit.

"...THE FACULTY OF MEDICINE BEARS SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITY TO THE COMMUNITIES OF THE OTTAWA-CARLETON REGION, TO FRANCO-ONTARIAN AND AFFILIATED COMMUNITIES OF NORTHERN AND EASTERN ONTARIO..."

This explains the different WGPA 2003 cutoffs:

1)Franco-Ontario applicant: 3.2

2)Aboriginal: 3.2

3)Underserviced areas: 3.55

4)Ottawa region: 3.6 for ottawa (english only), and for Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais (both english and french)

Please share you info also!

Archived