Premed 101 Forums

LHINs

Rome

Just wanted to get an idea of what your thoughts are on Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs). I have been told by past supervisors to be on the lookout and wary of this organization. As far as I can tell, the physician funding scheme is not under their control.

However, if you are planning to have a hospital based practice, their allocation of funds might affect you. Is that how others view these networks?

I would be very surprised if the interviewers asked an applicant about the specific funding of the LHINs with regard to physician practice. I say this because even the LHINs or the MoHLTC do not have this all worked out. I think it would help to be informed about what the LHINs are, and how they intend to improve health care provision in Ontario regions, but as for how you think they will fund physicians who practice in hospital versus privately... I think that's too specific. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's a question even senior health care administrators cannot answer.

In the first year community medicine course, we barely touch upon LHINs.

I would general things about it - I doubt they woudl ask any detailed questions about that.

Remember that you are a candidate MD programmes, and not an experienced physician - the interviewers know this. They won't grill on any details of knowledge that tehy know you looked up just to prepare for your interview.

Relax and have fun - best advice I can give.

It's not as bad as you think it is - that was the big general impression I had after my interviews last year.

Thanks for your messages.

Since we are on the subject of these networks, would anyone be able to comment on these new family health teams/networks. There are all sorts of new abbreviations and I can't seem to figure out what each is and why these different types exist.

Any good sites/references for more information on this would be useful! Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - there are a whole lot of abbreviations to figure out!

To shed a little light on the differences between the FHTs (family health teams) and the FHNs (family health networks) try looking on the MoHLTC's website and click the FHT link. There is a tonne of info there. It is aimed at the general population, but is a great starting point for you. Here is the URL: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/

Here is a little background info:

- the FHNs came first - and are essentially a group of primary care providers (generally family physicians) who provide core primary health care services to a community of people. The people in the area are rostered to a specific physician, however, if said physician cannot take a specific patient for some reason (holiday/sickness/etc) then the network of physicians will help to cover that physician's load. I am not as familiar with the FHN, since the focus has really shifted to FHTs.

FHTs developed out of the FHN model and tends to be the more prominently used term now. Usually where there is a FHT there is also a FHN (although not always). The difference with FHTs are that they incorporate additional allied health professional into the care team. The specifics of what health professionals are included in the FHT can vary, but usually has some/most of the following: family physicians, nurses, nurse practioners, pharmacists, physiotherapists/kinesiologists, psychiatrists/psychologists, socail workers, dieticians.

Really when you are talking about a FHT you are talking about a full-spectrum of comprehensive core primary health care services in an interdisciplinary team.

I hope that is somewhat clear...

Archived