Premed 101 Forums

MCAT in end of July?

Hi there,

I'm planning on applying throughout Canada and the U.S. next year (2009 entrance). I have read the info posted here about about the importance of applying early and how I will not be reviewed until they receive my MCAT score.

I'm hoping to study for the MCAT May, June, July and write the end of July while taking 3 summer courses. I have 3.73 gpa.

Obviously I don't want to be applying "blindly" without knowing my MCAT score but it is my only choice. Will I be applying early enough (i.e. when they receive my scores is around August?)? Is my timeline a good plan? Should I attempt to write the MCAT earlier with less studying time? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Guest FockI'mOld!

From personal experience, I would also advise you on reducing your courseload. You have a lot riding on your mcat results especially when you're applying blind. You wanna ensure you make the cutoffs.

Hi there,

I'm planning on applying throughout Canada and the U.S. next year (2009 entrance). I have read the info posted here about about the importance of applying early and how I will not be reviewed until they receive my MCAT score.

I'm hoping to study for the MCAT May, June, July and write the end of July while taking 3 summer courses. I have 3.73 gpa.

Obviously I don't want to be applying "blindly" without knowing my MCAT score but it is my only choice. Will I be applying early enough (i.e. when they receive my scores is around August?)? Is my timeline a good plan? Should I attempt to write the MCAT earlier with less studying time? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Your plan is inadvisable because you're underestimating the time required to complete primaries and secondaries. Your personal statement in your primary is critical and it's not something you want to hack out in a day or two and then submit after your mom has proofread it.

Secondaries also take a while to complete (unless it's NYMC or SUNY who just want your money). There's also the hidden annoyances like making sure everything has been submitted/completed/chasing down your referees to get their letters into interfolio/calling admissions/etcetcetcetc.

Archived