Premed 101 Forums

Grad applicants and MD-PhD vs. MD

I'm applying this year as a quebec resident for MD/PhD with a reasonably solid app.

39Q MCAT, 3.58 Undergrad GPA, 3.85 grad GPA, (1st year was entirely coursework before thesis work), quebec resident, army reservist throughout undergrad w/ leadership experience, lots of research, NSERC and reasonable ECs. Really good refs.

I indicated in my letter that I wanted to conduct the PhD portion of the MD/PhD with my current supervisor. If I was applying for MD I wouldn't be worried, but my concern is that my GPA and lack of current publications (Should have several for next year) makes me competitive enough for MD, but not for the MD-PhD. If I'm not the top of the pile for MD-PhD, McGill says they still consider your eligibility for the MD, but I've heard that they are not very favourable towards grad applicants for the MD program, and I know several past students in my lab and other labs who were unsuccessful at McGill and successful at other schools.

The question is when I get to the interview, is it advisable to make mention that I'm also interested in the straight MD program? This is something that is legitimately interesting to me, but I'm also well aware that if I get into the MD program it would be trivial to get into MD-PhD after the fact, so I suspect they would question my sincerity in making such a statement. As McGill was my only app this year, it weighs heavily on my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt the admissions ppl would discriminate against applicants with graduate degrees. I have a graduate degree and many people I know in my class have PhDs. If you intend to do MD PhD then make your intentions known and show some enthusiasm. Like all MD PhD programs, the one at McGill is incredibly hard to get in but I heard you can still apply for entry after Med I. So you still have another chance if you don't get in the first time. First author publications are very important as they highlight your potential as a researcher. If you can get at least one out, then you could bring that up during the interview. But I don't think it's a death sentence of you don't have any.

Just to follow up a bit- I don't think McGill discriminates against having a graduate background at all. I am one of many that entered the MD program this year with a PhD. Although my graduate work did come up in my interview, they really wanted to know why I went to grad school and then all of a sudden appeared to show an interest in Med. I was honest all along since my grad supervisors knew I wanted to go to med school even before I ever started working with them, and so their letters hopefully reflected this point as well. I also explained my future career intentions and how both degrees would help me get to where I wanted to be. Needless to say if you can make a clear case of why you are committed to med (or the dual program), then you should be fine. Also if they accept you into the MD, but not MD-PhD, its worth knowing that McGill has granted deferals in the past to allow students to finish up. For example I took an extra year so I could write and defend my thesis and finish off some projects (and I have no regrets).

Good Luck!

Archived