Premed 101 Forums

Competitiveness of this year's vs. last year's applicant pool, thoughts???

:confused: Hello all,

Since at this point we're all playing the waiting game I was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh on the topic of applicant pool competitiveness. I've applied to UWO and U of T, DAT scores are AA = 21 RC= 23 PAT = 19, average for best two years 89.95, gpa for best 2 years 3.92. Now 5 or 6 years ago I most likely would have an excellent chance at admission but with the recent applicant gpa inflation I'm not so sure. Last year the average gpa of those accepted at U of T was 3.91, an all time high for them!!! Do you think that the average/mean gpa of students accepted at these two schools this cycle will be as high, higher, or perhaps will we see a slight decline since last year saw the double cohort class graduate?

thanks everyone! :)

Hey Caroline,

I think that you have to remember that the average GPA is the average and not the cut off. I start thinking that it is the cut off sometimes and that is totally wrong. The actual range probably allows for some students with superior DAT scores to get in with high 3.7s. As your DAT score is certainly above average and so are your grades, I'm sure that your standing will at least put you at the average standard of acceptance (which is higher than the cut off). You will be in dental school in the fall, provided that the best 2 years statistics you provided are the relevant statistics for UWO and U of T.

Damn. I have a ~3.8. News that the class average is around 3.9 is scary. Yes, I know what an average is. But I also know that one should play the game looking to be above average and not shooting for miracles.

Will uofT/ UWO actually look down on a 3.8!? WTF!

Damn. I have a ~3.8. News that the class average is around 3.9 is scary. Yes, I know what an average is. But I also know that one should play the game looking to be above average and not shooting for miracles.

Will uofT/ UWO actually look down on a 3.8!? WTF!

the 3.9 average was only for uoft. for uwo, a 3.8 gpa for your top two years is considered competitive. Look at the stats for the class of 2011 on their website the average for the class was around 84%, that's like a 3.7 actually, not even a 3.8. According to the omsas conversion table an 80-84% tranlates into a 3.7, 85-89% tranlstates to a 3.9.

Good luck

-wt

the 3.9 average was only for uoft. for uwo, a 3.8 gpa for your top two years is considered competitive. Look at the stats for the class of 2011 on their website the average for the class was around 84%, that's like a 3.7 actually, not even a 3.8. According to the omsas conversion table an 80-84% tranlates into a 3.7, 85-89% tranlstates to a 3.9.

Good luck

-wt

Thanks wt. I'll check it out.

Archived