Premed 101 Forums

paramedicine schools out west

codeblue

Hello,

I have seen a few people post some fairly knowledgable stuff about PCP programs across the country on here, so I thought i'd ask a few questions... Currently I am in Ontario completing a degree, and im thinking about paramedic school afterwards (and med school).

I am also thinking about moving out to BC... and I saw that there PCP program is less lengthy (specifically the JI program).

So I am wondering, is the education equivalent ? I know that there is some ways to get registered in multiple provinces, im just wondering how involved it would be if I decided to move back to Ontario... or even to Alberta after completing it.

I also saw that in BC/Alberta u need your EMR before registering in the PCP programs. I was wondering if anyone knew if the AMFR program from St. Johns Ambulance here in Ontario is equivalent to that. I am also a First Responder (the step up from standard first aid and cpr), so I am wondering if this is equivalent to EMR as well ? Or at least could be in some way to write a test, either one of these ?

Also I was wondering if anyone knew a PCP program that is distance ed (or at least a bunch of it)... a recognized program that is.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew a PCP program that is distance ed (or at least a bunch of it)... a recognized program that is.

Loyalist College has a program that might be of interest to you. It is run over weekends, 12-months a year for two years. Thus, the program is less intense than traditional two-year programs.

Many of the students do not live in Bancroft, but instead stay at B&B's or hotels for the school weekends.

Elaine

So I am wondering, is the education equivalent ? I know that there is some ways to get registered in multiple provinces, im just wondering how involved it would be if I decided to move back to Ontario... or even to Alberta after completing it.

The education on paper is equivalent. The Justice Institute and Academy of Emergency Training both offer the Primary Care Paramedic program in BC. It is 15 weeks straight of classes 9-5 every day, plus time spent on weekends doing labs and clinical shifts, and of course time after class doing your homework. After the 15 weeks are over, you spend another 1-2 months doing your practicum working on the ambulance and in the hospital. The national standards for the PCP program are all covered by the BC programs, and you will get a very extensive education in the pathophysiology required to do your job. However, somehow I feel that the short timeframe means you don't retain half as much as you would by going to Ontario and doing it over 2 years. I bet you would get more clinical time in Ontario as well.

As for employment purposes, as long as you take a program that is accredited by the Canadian Medical Association (the JI is the only one in BC with this), then you can move back to your own province and get licensed there.

I also saw that in BC/Alberta u need your EMR before registering in the PCP programs. I was wondering if anyone knew if the AMFR program from St. Johns Ambulance here in Ontario is equivalent to that. I am also a First Responder (the step up from standard first aid and cpr), so I am wondering if this is equivalent to EMR as well ? Or at least could be in some way to write a test, either one of these ?

Unfortunately it is not, unless that AMFR course allows you to become licensed within your province as an EMR. In BC, I know that the AMFR program is only 40 hours, and is definitely not acceptable as equivalent to the 120 hour EMR program for your PCP pre-requisite training.

There is a part-time version of the course in BC, although you still have to come in a few times a week for labs and practice.

The timeframe is different for sure, I would be going in with a solid grasp of anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology so thats ok...

As I understand it, its not much different really... when you think about it between BC and Ontario... in Ontario its 2 years, 4 semesters of 4 months each, in BC its the 4 month PCP program, and then the months of placement... and there is also a month of your EMR before hand... then when you want to do ACP in BC its 2 years... in Ontario its only 1. So really, pretty much the same amount of time spent in school once you get to the ACP level it seems.

Maybe you could do your PCP in BC @ JI, and your ACP in Ontario ? Fast track by a year or so... who knows?

Anyways... I see that there are EMR bridging classes for OFA's or first responders, so im going to try and find out if the Ontario first responder or AMFR (or anything else here for that matter) qualifies for these bridging programs. As far as I know it, there is no 'EMR' training in Ontario, as the entry level here is PCP, and anything below that is just standard first aid/cpr c, first responder & aed, and AMFR with st.johns etc..

Anyone with more info ?

I'll look into that part time program in BC, and see how often you have to come in...

Any programs in Alberta that are accredited and full time or part time ?

As I understand it, its not much different really... when you think about it between BC and Ontario... in Ontario its 2 years, 4 semesters of 4 months each, in BC its the 4 month PCP program, and then the months of placement... and there is also a month of your EMR before hand...

On an hour-by-hour basis, the training is equivalent. Full time at college means 15 hours a week of class, versus the 48-56/week you do in the BC program. However, it's pretty challenging to retain the same amount of information when it's force-fed to you over only 1 semester instead of 4. I actually did well, but I had a pretty good background before starting the program.

Anyways... I see that there are EMR bridging classes for OFA's or first responders, so im going to try and find out if the Ontario first responder or AMFR (or anything else here for that matter) qualifies for these bridging programs. As far as I know it, there is no 'EMR' training in Ontario, as the entry level here is PCP, and anything below that is just standard first aid/cpr c, first responder & aed, and AMFR with st.johns etc..

Anyone with more info ?

You should check with the JI to see if they will accept your AMFR as a first responder course for the FR->EMR briding program.

On an hour-by-hour basis, the training is equivalent. Full time at college means 15 hours a week of class, versus the 48-56/week you do in the BC program. However, it's pretty challenging to retain the same amount of information when it's force-fed to you over only 1 semester instead of 4.

The PCP program in Ontario is more than 15 hours per week. The program is one of the more intensive college programs, with closer to 25-30 hours of class per week. There is also a longer placement on the ambulance. There is a set number of hours (around 200) to be done at the end of first year, followed by several hundred hours during the first term of second year and 40 hours per week for the entire last term.

For equivalency, you should check with the Emergency Health Services Branch of the MOHLTC. The EHS Branch is not known for granting equivalency without a lot of hoops. I believe that you have to actually certify as a PCP (rather than just complete the training) before applying to write your Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (ie: PCP) exam in Ontario. The exam is not hard. It's being considered eligible to write the exam that can sometimes be difficult.

Elaine

The PCP program in Ontario is more than 15 hours per week. The program is one of the more intensive college programs, with closer to 25-30 hours of class per week. There is also a longer placement on the ambulance. There is a set number of hours (around 200) to be done at the end of first year, followed by several hundred hours during the first term of second year and 40 hours per week for the entire last term.

Hi Elaine,

I didn't know that...I guess the Ontario PCP well exceeds the national requirements, whereas the BC program may just be meeting them.

Archived