Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I applied early on, when it first opened. I don't remember precisely when. + I'm on SDN but I havn't talked about it there.

rhl, have you decided absolutely to go? I'm getting that way, just a few more technicals things to sort out and some questions. For example, I have not seen any lists of alumni that have matched into residencies in Canada and the US after going to UQ. I'm wondering how successful other have been in getting back? If you know anything - or others do - I'd love to hear about it.

Havent made any decisions yet either. I am was just excited to have something~ I am still waiting on Galway and MUN (which I would chose over queensland I think). Like you there are alot of things to figure out. I live in Newfoundaldn so I am going to try to talk to some recruitment people at various rural hospitals to see if there is any thing that can be worked out in terms of residencies. I will also be married by the time I go down so we need to figure out what job oppurtunites and visa situation would be there for him. Soooo much to think about. 4 years is a long time on the other side of the world... but its my dream so I can't see passing it up if thats my only chance.

Let me know if you get any info though... and I will do the same for you. If its ok with you I might try to private msg. you with my email so we can keep in touch.

Goodluck with everything!

I've been accepted to Sept 08. 3.7ish GPA, 3.84 UoT, 30N MCAT, Honours BioMed-graduate June 08

SUSOM has reasonable tuition costs, lots of Canadians and for the last 2 years impressive Canadian match results.

My family is fully supporting this decision and I have no desire for Masters, more years of undergrad, etc to enter the application crap-shoot for X # of years.

• 3 months later...

I'm a BC resident finished undergraduate studies, and have Canadian citizenship. My GPA was 3.3 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (Q)

I was accepted at Saba University School of Medicine for January 2009. This is my first time applying to the school. This was the only school I applied to this year. I applied to UBC last year and was rejected pre-interview.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Just offered a position at University College Cork, but probably won't go because of the money situation.

I was also just accepted to Cork.... I can't believe they only give you 3 weeks to decide and get everything together. I went to the bank today (TD) to inquire about a professional student line of credit, but to get enough to cover UCC tuition, you probably need a co-signer...

• 1 month later...

Currently studying: M.Sc in progress (but no publications). lots of presentations

My GPA is: 3.4

My MCAT Scores were: 10PS, 8VR, 9 BS, WS R

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, UCC

I was accepted at: UCC

I was waitlisted at: Trinity/UCD automatically due to very late app (march)

I was rejected from: none

My first choice school is: Didnt care. Guess Im going to UCC. Yay

I have applied to medical schools this many times: This is my first time

I guess I could post mine too. Yay! :D

I'm from: Ontario

My country of citizenship is: Canada

Currently: Research Assistant Clinical Epidemiology

University Degree: Biomedical Science (class of 2009) University of Ottawa

My GPA is: ~3.5 OMSAS - 3.2 (1st year) 3.6 (2nd year) 3.4 (3rd year) 3.8 (4th year)

My MCAT Scores were: 9P 7V 12B O - 28O

I applied to: Trinity, Galway, Cork, UCD, RCSI, Limerick

I was accepted at: Limerick

I was waitlisted at: RCSI *not heard from UCD UCC or Galway yet*

I was rejected from: Trinity

I have applied to Ireland: 1st time

• 2 weeks later...

Hometown: Ottawa, Canada

Degree: Honors BSc from UofT

Omsas gpa: 3.74 (4.0 in last 2 years)

MCAT: 36T (14,13,9)

Accepted: Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar

Applied and waiting to hear: University of Queensland, Australia

Didnt apply to any of the Irish or Caribbean schools, was not really comfortable studying at non-US schools.

Hey everyone. May as well post my stats here too.

University of Ottawa graduate 2010 - Honours B.Sc in Biology.

OMSAS GPA - 3.94

MCAT - 29R

Extracurriculars - International volunteering in South America, NSERC summer student, summer clinical research for 2 years. First author of published original research paper, published abstract, submitted manuscript, and a scientific presentation. Also a few other volunteering activities in the Ottawa community.

Interviewed last year at McMaster and Ottawa.

Waitlisted at Mac

Bad waitlisted at Ottawa

Didn't end up getting off the waitlists last year.

Interviewed this year at Toronto, Ottawa, Saskatchewan and Saba University.

Rejected from Toronto

Bad waitlisted at Ottawa

Rejected from Saskatchewan

Accepted at Saba

After working hard in school for the past four years, engaging in numerous extracurricular activities and interviewing twice here in Canada I have decided to study abroad at Saba. I was contemplating trying another year to get into medical school here in Canada, but I've decided that it's probably best not to wait another year.

For me, the past year and a half has been very disheartening, but having not gotten into schools after numerous interviews has actually increased my ambition to study medicine. I wish only the best for all those people having trouble getting into medical school. Goodluck to everyone!

Hey everyone. May as well post my stats here too.

University of Ottawa graduate 2010 - Honours B.Sc in Biology.

OMSAS GPA - 3.94

MCAT - 29R

Extracurriculars - International volunteering in South America, NSERC summer student, summer clinical research for 2 years. First author of published original research paper, published abstract, submitted manuscript, and a scientific presentation. Also a few other volunteering activities in the Ottawa community.

Interviewed last year at McMaster and Ottawa.

Waitlisted at Mac

Bad waitlisted at Ottawa

Didn't end up getting off the waitlists last year.

Interviewed this year at Toronto, Ottawa, Saskatchewan and Saba University.

Rejected from Toronto

Bad waitlisted at Ottawa

Rejected from Saskatchewan

Accepted at Saba

After working hard in school for the past four years, engaging in numerous extracurricular activities and interviewing twice here in Canada I have decided to study abroad at Saba. I was contemplating trying another year to get into medical school here in Canada, but I've decided that it's probably best not to wait another year.

For me, the past year and a half has been very disheartening, but having not gotten into schools after numerous interviews has actually increased my ambition to study medicine. I wish only the best for all those people having trouble getting into medical school. Goodluck to everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance. If I was you I would continue reapplying, because you are getting all these interviews in Canada. However, I can understand the frustration you must feel and why you have decided to attend an international school. At the very least, please do reapply one last time while attending Saba, and if you get an acceptance, then start over in Canada as a Med 1. As a current student at Saba, that is the best advice I can give you.

Cheers and good luck.

Congrats on your acceptance. If I was you I would continue reapplying, because you are getting all these interviews in Canada. However, I can understand the frustration you must feel and why you have decided to attend an international school. At the very least, please do reapply one last time while attending Saba, and if you get an acceptance, then start over in Canada as a Med 1. As a current student at Saba, that is the best advice I can give you.

Cheers and good luck.

Hey leviathan. Thanks for the encouragement. I may take your advice for next year. How are you finding Saba so far? Pros, cons? Thanks.

Hey leviathan. Thanks for the encouragement. I may take your advice for next year. How are you finding Saba so far? Pros, cons? Thanks.

Pros: Quiet, friendly, relatively wealthy crime-free island with few distractions to keep you from studying. Great scuba diving and hiking if you are into that. The clinical professors in the upper semesters are amazing (I'm in my 5th/last semester of basic sciences). The school itself is very rigorous and forces you to work really hard / know the material very well to succeed. We consistently have many people every semester who score in the 99th percentile on the Step 1.

Cons: Some of the pros are also cons. It's a very challenging program. There are 5 sets of exams every semester and the minimum pass is 75%. About half of the people who come here don't make it through without being kicked out or at least having to repeat a semester or two. (However, it's usually the people who got accepted here with low GPAs and poor work ethic.) The island itself is really boring and limited in amenities/resources since it is so small. You will learn to appreciate 'civilization' when you come home for breaks between semesters.

Accepted: Queensland

Interviewing: Flinders, Deakin

Haven't heard back from: Sydney, Melbourne

3.73 GPA

11V 11P 12B -> 34R MCAT

Haven't accepted offer, still not sure about going to Australia for medicine

That's a pretty solid MCAT score. Did you apply to Canadian schools?