Premed 101 Forums

How would you improve the system?

rogerroger

Lots of disgruntled ppl are on here. I thought it would be interesting to see how you would change things....

So you were just selected as the head of <insert your fav school here> medical school (congrats!). How would you set up your selection process?

I think I would drop the MCAT. I would make all MCAT tested material prereqs, minus English.

I would do like MAC and drop the min. GPA to 3.0.

I would give the applicant a choice, would you like GPA or MCAT to be used as an assessment.

I would have one 3000 word essay. The topic would be, what motivates you and describe experiences which exemplify your reasoning.

I would also look at a one page CV and a one page research description.

I would bring the top 50% of both GPAs and overall MCATs to interview. Yet all applicants need a min GPA of 3.0 and MCAT of 25.

At, the interview I would hire some actors who would play the role of interviewees. They would interact with real applicants and generate "situations" in which the applicant would be assessed during the school tour. The interview wouldn`t be an actual interview, instead it would involve a series of stations were applicants would take part in role play situations with actors. These situations could range from anything, such as senior in store needs assistance, or friend approaches applicant with a health issue etc. The role-played relationship with the actor and interviewee would be stated. Beyond, this nothing is known before hand. In this manner ideas about ethics, social skills etc. would be assessed.

The final cut would be 40% role-play, 30% interaction with peers/actors during tour, 30% CV with essay. After getting the ìnterview grades play no factor.

LOL thread copyrighted vippy 2008

Hmm, I think the system is fine the way it is. Variable admission policies mean that people have shots at different schools... things I would change though are:

-use of weighting formulas at more schools, similar to UT

-Perhaps reworking the way GPAs work... 80 = 3.7, 79=3.3 doesn't make any sense

OPEN MORE SPACES, I think that's one of the main problems here too.

do i get royalties? ...

anyways, i don't particularly think our system is 'flawed' since each school has different ways of looking at applicants but i proposed a similar question thinking if i was going to open up my own medschool: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22394

hmmm, i think your idea is interesting but not very practical since it would take a long time and a ton of reviewers to read 3000 word essays from 'everyone' and the way you interview ppl sounds like it takes too much resources. Also inviting 50% for interviews while having min gpa's 3.0 and MCAT's of 25 and letting the applicants choose which one is a recipe for disaster. I would venture a guess of over 5000 apps, which means you'll be interviewing roughly 2500 applicants ... hardly feasable.

i hate role-playing...hated it in high school, hated it in uni when we had to do skits for language classes, and now for interviews...for god's sake, we're trying to select future physicians, not actors :rolleyes:

Yeah, they are gonna be expecting the same during med school and exams, tho - as someone on SDN put it when a person posted about failing the clinical skills section of USMLE II, "did you, by any chance, forget to show fake empathy for the fake pain?" So while I dislike it as much as you do, we're gonna have to get used to it.

Yeah, they are gonna be expecting the same during med school and exams, tho - as someone on SDN put it when a person posted about failing the clinical skills section of USMLE II, "did you, by any chance, forget to show fake empathy for the fake pain?" So while I dislike it as much as you do, we're gonna have to get used to it.

Oh Gawd.

*sighhh* it's just really hard for genuinely caring & empathetic people like myself to show fake empathy :D

gotta start practicing i guess.

Guest begaster

Too idealistic. You'd need so many man-hours to go over so many applicants with a fine-toothed comb. 2500 interviews per school, at one hour interviews? That's 2500 hours devoted to interviewing people, or 104 days.

I actually think the system we have right now is pretty good.

I would do like MAC and drop the min. GPA to 3.0.

That's a ridiculously low GPA...Most people don't even have to make an effort to get a 3.0. Why let those people in? To congratulate them on slacking off for 4 years instead of working hard to actually learn something?

This is how I'd choose med students:

- adios MCAT

- lower GPA to something mid-range (minimum average 75-80% in final two years only, or overall, whichever is better)

- adios interviews

- adios mini-structured thingees

In your fourth year of your degree, whatever it might be, all the would-be medical students would take a class called "Medicine 101". It would be 6 credits worth of medical school, but the clinical stuff only (e.g. learning to take histories, physical exam, minor procedures, etc.) done under careful supervision. Ideally there would be exposure to surgery, ICU, rads/path, etc. etc. as well. At the end of the year, those students who demonstrated the greatest potential would be invited to be actual medical students.

I'm a big believer in there being a corner of medicine that suits everybody just wonderfully, no matter how weird or disturbed you may be. And it isn't all that difficult to hide how weird and disturbed you are for a few days' worth of interviews (I'm a good example of very weird people getting into medical school :) But it would be more difficult to "put on" the face that the medical school wants to see for twelve months straight. So the people who were truly deserving/gifted would be recognized and rewarded. The other big advantage would be that many people would have a chance to change their minds about med school after getting a chance to see what it's really like (lots of people do - myself included).

I love this idea!

Archived