Premed 101 Forums

Stelmach Announcment

Steve-0

What do you all think of the announcment made by the Preimier of Alberta, Ed Stelmach, regarding funding for new doctors in Alberta.

Heres a linke to a news story=> http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/features/albertavotes/story.html?id=0780180e-5718-4e23-bd33-fac1a10ce8c2&k=81366

He has promised to increase the number of graduating doctors by 225 per year (nearly double what it is now) by 2012. Sounds impossible, and a litle sneaky considering he has just announced an election as well. I haven't seen any announcments on the med websites of either U of C or U of A. U of C has a similar story on their main page however.

Do you think it is possible? If so, when do you think we will start to see more spots? I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

Haha classic political rhetoric of current premiere dangling the golden carrot in front of Albertans. Although any ideas on increasing the admission numbers are songs to my ears. :D

so according to my calculation assuming by miracle this comes true we will finally have family doctors ready to practice by year 2017 ? that is still loooong way off. Beside if the overhead cost doesn't improve, or goverment incentive don't increase won't doctors still leave AB??

anyone knows about the relative number of spots at U of C this year? and how much it increased compared to last year?

Haha classic political rhetoric of current premiere dangling the golden carrot in front of Albertans. Although any ideas on increasing the admission numbers are songs to my ears. :D

so according to my calculation assuming by miracle this comes true we will finally have family doctors ready to practice by year 2017 ? that is still loooong way off. Beside if the overhead cost doesn't improve, or goverment incentive don't increase won't doctors still leave AB??

anyone knows about the relative number of spots at U of C this year? and how much it increased compared to last year?

I believe that they added 10 more people in the 2010 class than the 2009 class for a grand total of around 152 minus about 8-10 foreign students.

Archived