Premed 101 Forums

MCAT + Physics?

tanthalas

Just wondering,

To what level of university does the MCAT test your physics knowledge per say? I will only have a first year physics under my belt when I attack the behemoth aka MCAT.

Thanks.

I only had one year of high school physics, which I completed about 15 years before I wrote the MCAT. With the help of the Examkrackers review book, I got a 12 in the PS section. Thus, I don't think you need a very high level of physics to do well on the exam.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

The physics course I intend to take at my school covers these topics:

mechanics, fluid mechanics, waves and heat.

This physics course is like a 'science course for arts students.' But it does cover the topics from half of first year physics.

The second half of first year physics topics include: electricity and magnetism, optics, and selected topics from nuclear physics and modern physics.

Does the MCAT cover those second half first year physics topics extensively?

Guest begaster

Yes.

You're going to need to know:

Dynamics, kinematics, optics, electromagnetism, waves (sound, mechanical), and fluid mechanics. I may be missing something. Regardless, a passage regarding EM, Optics, and Kinematics/Dynamics will undoubtedly show up on your MCAT.

just to add - sorry if it has already been said, i only skimmed the above posts - physics on the MCAT is high school level. university physics is usually calculus based and there is no calculus on the MCAT. that being said, doing a university course will be helpful because it'll give you the opportunity to be taught the material as opposed to strugging through it yourself (assuming physics isnt your strongest subject).

Archived