Premed 101 Forums

Australia Med School ranking

Guest Squint2

Guest Squint2

I see from their applications that you can only apply to three universities in a given year's application. What is the generally accepted ranking of the schools that are accepting international students?

Guest AusMeds

Squint2,

I have yet to come across a ranking of Australian medical schools. It seems that ranking schools tends to be a North American phenomenon.

If you're trying to select a school, and you intend to return to North America to practice, I would tend to favour the schools that have been accepting international students for some time. They will all have an alumni base in North America that may come in handy when selecting a residency, and these schools are more likely to be known to residency program directors (esp. in the US). You should ask each school that you are considering how long they have been accepting international students, and how many students they have graduated who have returned to North America.

Otherwise, if you're looking to stay in Oz, then it doesn't matter as much. I haven't heard of a 'bad' Australian medical school so I don't think you could make a poor choice.

Obviously, the school curriculum and culture that appeals to you most should be key considerations along with which cities you favour going to.

Archived