Premed 101 Forums

Feeling Discouraged - Advice Please

JPH

I have a undergrad in Psyc, went back for yr 5 to get orgainic chem, physics, fun stuff like that.

My overall is: 79%

Two best years: 84%

Dat:

Reading: 20

Bio: 17

Chem: 16

Sci Ave: 17

Percept: 18

Aca Ave: 18

Carving: 28

I have applied twice and still nothing...am I only dreaming?? What should I do - go get better grades; redo the DAT (taken it twice), try a masters, apply in the US...I really want to be a dentist....after my honors thesis on 'dental anxiety' I desided dentistry was for me.

I have great references, my abstract was published in canadian psychology journal, have been shadowing at a clinic, am atheletic, and volunteer....

I know I would excell if I could only get in. Please I need some advice, direction and some honest opinions on where I can go form here. Thank you.

I reallly think you should apply to the States. They will take into considering other factors not just your marks. I really do think your DAT score is a bit low. You should aim for near 20AA. But the fact you've done shadowing and what not will really help in the application to the states.

Check out http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17

You will definitely find some useful information and the stats for D-schools in the states are found here : http://www.predents.com

To start, I would recommend the DAT again...you're almost there though! If dentistry is what you want, apply to the States too...even the UK or Australia if you dont mind the distance. A masters degree is favourable in dental admissions these days. Dont be discouraged...if it was meant to be, it will happen...just might take a bit of time! Goodluck!

JPH,

I think you're on the right track. You seem to come off as well rounded and dedicated. I think you really should try to boost your DAT score. Its the only way to truly say "yes, I am going to go to Dental school next year". Nothing opens more doors than strong standardized tests scores. Also, it's the surest approach you can take.

To this end, can you please let us know exactly how you studied and prepared for the DAT?

We may be able to help you out with how you should approach the test, pass you practice stuff, and other advice.

I know it sounds like a pain to have to crack the DAT again, but you'll have your career as a dentist for a few decades. Whats a year or two (or less) spent studied for the DAT?

PS: I never recommend going to the states-- Canada all the way, even if it is more competitive. Life is MUCH better north of the border.

For the DAT I used the kaplan book and some of my notes from school....it had been over 3 years since I did intro chem and bio...so those were a little rough for me. The first time I wrote my carving was horrible!! So I did rock the dat and that really helped; carving went from 8 to 28 - but found that is the only thing it was helpful with.

I live in northern ontario so it is hard to find study groups or courses to take...what do you recommend??

I would love to stay in canada, but if I get accepted in the us first i would go there.

Would love the help with any study tips.

dont worry about soap carving..us schools dont care about it. but yes u need to rewrite the DAT's. if you're going to apply to the states though i suggest writing the american DAT..only downside is you have to learn organic chem and math. if you feel thats too much for you to handle then rewrite the canadian DATs...use kaplan blue book,dat destroyer book,topscore,dat achiever and get your hands on the kaplan subject tests and other practise material. its not that bad..you can get 19+ on bio and chem if you put in the work..do lots of practise examples.

your best shot in the states would be nyu,boston or tufts btw..only apply to the private schools. you have no chance at state schools like most other canadians.

the 16 in chem wont cut it though..100% have to retake. and yes a masters would help in the states..take some upper level science classes if you can as well. dental schools like to see that you can handle that..and perform well.

For the DAT I used the kaplan book and some of my notes from school....it had been over 3 years since I did intro chem and bio...so those were a little rough for me. The first time I wrote my carving was horrible!! So I did rock the dat and that really helped; carving went from 8 to 28 - but found that is the only thing it was helpful with.

I live in northern ontario so it is hard to find study groups or courses to take...what do you recommend??

I would love to stay in canada, but if I get accepted in the us first i would go there.

Would love the help with any study tips.

OK, so like pbure66 said, you essentially need to harass the DAT, and in order to do so, you need as much practice material as possible.

Reading the Kaplan Blue Book and a few skimpy rock the dat q's can only do so much. You need bucket-loads of practice material to really internalize what you glazed over while reading. Get every company's stuff. (don't worry bout the cost-- you'll make it back in a week when you're a dentist).

Once you've read the Kaplan BB and other content you care to review, and then amassed all this practice material.... DO IT ALL.

The most effective way IMO to get a solid DAT score is to do as much practice material as possible and learn from your mistakes. Do a subject test, review it, learn from your mistakes (and the ones you got right for completeness) and don't commit these mistakes again. Rinse, dry and repeat for every topic.

I would feel most comfortable taking the canadian over agian - the us dat has orgainic chem which is ok but i haven't done math since high school (long time ago)....but the next dat is nov and should you apply early for the us; is applying after nov too late??

Can I buy those study books online?

i would write the US DAT..writing the cdn one in november wont cut it because the schools will only get your results in mid december which is quite late in the admissions process over there. you have plenty of time to study for the US DAT..write it during the summer..you get your scores instantaneously. dont worry so much about QR..its the section dental schools care least about. i got a 16 on it and still got interviews..nobody even brought it up.

i have a bunch of DAT stuff I can sell you..don't need it anymore. ill send you a pvt msg.

I agree that you should re-write the DAT to improve your scores...but Canadian schools also want ridiculously high CGPA's or best 2-3 years...just from what I've read on this forum, people with GPAs of mid-3.70 were getting rejected beacuse the cut off GPA was so high...your GPA will most likely get you an interview for US schools, but from what I've read, probably not at most of the canadian ones...you do have great extra-curriculars so try to highlights them in those applications where you are given an opprtunity to do so.....best of luck and dont give up.

• 1 month later...

Rewrite your DAT. If you apply to US school, get prepared now coz the key to US school is to apply early. Most spots are given out the December before school starts.

Do keep trying Canadian schools though. It's cheaper to stay in Canada. Private schools in USA are $$$. Your GPA is good enough for US schools, kind of boarder line for Canadian schools. A good cDAT score will really help you. I think some Canadian schools look at ur other stuff: McGill, UBC. Dal and Sask look at ref.

Archived