Premed 101 Forums

anyone applied to ireland (tcd, ucc)

Guest ezrock

hi. just wondering if anyone has applied to ireland, specifically trinity college dublin or university college cork.

I have applied, and when i asked the atlantic bridge people about when we hear about acceptances, they mentioned as early as march. they never said anything about interviews at all, but im sure there must be interviews.

does anyone know anything about interviews/dates etc for these schools?

thanks,

-Ian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AliatUofT

Hi there

the only irish school that interview is Royal college, the other 3 dont interview,

so there is no need to worry about interview dates...:)

i cant wait to hear something from these school..

cheers

Ali

oh wow thats awesome! hopefully my application spoke for itself then :) thanks for letting me know. do you have any idea when we find out? im pretty sure its late march but im not fully sure.

-Ian

Guest QuestionMan23213

I called Atlanic Bridge yesterday and they said that RCSI is currently interviewing students that applied to the 6 year programs. Those applying to the 5 year will have to be patient as interviews will be later. As for the other schools, the admissions officer mentioned one school that hasnt even started looking at applications for 5 year applicants.

Was anyone here ever interviewed in Nottingham??

Guest rugbyscott

Hi there,

I got an acceptance package from UCD yesterday, but they want the down payment by February 18. I'm happy, but I kind of wanted to hear from TCD before I decided.... Not sure what to do. Good luck to all waiting to hear.

Guest rugbyscott

Sure, no problem. I had about 3.5 in undergrad and am just finishing a masters with ~4.0 and a couple of publications. MCAT was 32p (10vr, 10ps, 12bs). Also, it was the 5 year program I was accepted into. Hope that helps.

Guest AliatUofT

Hey Scott

first of all congrats.. i am surprised to hear u have heard so early but good for u

i am hopeful to hear something as well, hopefully sooner than later.. i applied to all 4 throught ABP...

but i must say that a couple of weeks for a deposit is pretty quick.. how much is the first deposit?

i am also a grad student

i had 3.3 undergrad GPA, 4.0 grad and 28Q on MCAT (7V, 10P, 11B) plus lots of publications: 4 first authors (3 published and one being reviewed) and 7 coauthorships and along with the presentations and EC stuff.

congrats again

i am hopeful to get some news soon... so at least i can relax a bit before i find out what happens with Uof Ottawa this year

good luck to all who are waiting

cheers

Ali

I got my acceptance package from UCD as well. I'm going to go ahead and accept. I agree the date for deposite/deadline seems much to soon. If I get in somewhere in Canada that would be great and even with giving up the deposit it will still work out much cheaper than studying in Ireland, but if I dont get a Canadian acceptance, I know there's a place for me in Dublin.

Alia, first deposit is 3174 euros, it works out to about $4900.

hey. yeah thats what I think I will do if I get an early admission to ireland. My parents didnt see the logic in it, but it definitely makes sense to me :)

-Ian

Guest AliatUofT

so congrats to both of you

i really hope i get to hear something soon (when did u get your package Mala)

but i also understand the financial burden....thats quiet a bit of cash and pretty early, but its always better to have a seat reserved

so i would also be forking over the dough if i were to get a package

here is to one for me too sometime soon

cheers

and good luck

Ali

Congratulations to everyone getting acceptances so far! I've been looking all over the internet to try and find out how the admissions process works--do they send out batches of acceptances--as they are decided? Are they sent out all at once? Just curious, anxious...a little nervous I guess......

hi taos77

here's what was written in part of my application confirmation email after they had all my documents and such. it said this both for UCC and TCD.

~~~

Please note the following important information:

1. The university's admissions committee will begin considering the North American applications for September/October, 2005 entry in mid January, 2005.

2. Depending upon the number of applications received, the committee usually finalizes the first round of offers in late March/ early April each year. At that time they may accept, deny or wait-list your application.

~~~

guess i wont hear for awhile from these two ireland schools (the only two in ireland I applied to). not sure how the other ones work. clearly ucd sends out applications as early as beginning of february.

-Ian

Just to answer some of the questions (I hope I remember all of them)

In the package I received it said the UCD deposit would only be refunded (less administrative charge of 5% of the total first year fee due) for the following two reasons: 1) if you didn't meet the academic entry requirements, 2) if your application for visa is refused.

I received my UCD acceptance package 6 days ago. I also received a rejection letter from RCSI.

Nowadays I'm just researching student loans/bank LOCs and trying to find out if there's any scholarships out there that i'm eligible for. I'm finding the fees really daunting, but this is something i've worked towards for a long time and I know its what I want so i'm just going to keep my chin up and hope for the best:)

ps. Congratulations to everyone who's gotten accepted and to those still waiting - all the best.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nerdball

Hey, It's the first week of March...I was wondering if anyone has heard from the schools in Ireland lately.

The waiting game sucks...but I guess it's almost over, one way or another...

Congrats to all the talented people who got accepted.

To those of you who have heard back from the schools, did you choose the express mail option on you application?

Guest ezrock

hey. I applied to tcd and ucc. I havent heard from either of them yet. I did NOT choose the express mail option because I figured it was a waste of $30 USD!

When they confirmed my application they said sometime in March so could still be another three weeks assuming they are on time.

Take care,

-Ian

as far as i know, the four schools have all sent out their first round of acceptance letters...but don't let that worry you too much, it seems like they all go through a couple rounds. i applied to all four and so far have gotten in at rcsi and haven't heard anything from the other three...i've heard that they may keep you on a waiting list until they know who accepted/declined the first round and then they'll make some more offers. good luck everyone!

Guest Nerdball

Hey Kids,

I emailed admissions and asked them to check the status of my application. Louis Keenan is so nice and got back to me super quickly. I've applied to UCD and UCC. Here's the response I got:

"University College Cork has not issued any offers to date.

University College Dublin has issued offers but I'm afraid you are not amongst them. However, your application has not been denied and we are at a very early stage in the admissions season. So, there is still a possibility

that you may be made an offer later. Classes do not start until September. "

I hope you guys find this helpful. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!:)

Guest Nerdball

Guys,

I received an acceptance package from UCC this morning. I'm very excited...after collecting rejection letters from Canadian schools for two years, this is a great boost.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from any of the schools.

Guest ezrock

congrats! now i know i should hopefully expect some type of letter from them soon. I didnt do the $30 thing tho for fast shipping so it might take a little longer for me to get any letters. Take care,

-Ian

Guest Nerdball

I hadn't picked the courier option either. They called me and asked for my credit card number and FedExed it to me over night...so, they'll contact you when your stuff arrives. I hope you hear from them soon...I wrote the MCAT twice and applied to school in Canada twice...I have pretty good marks, and MCAT scores and a ridiculous number of extracurriculars...Canadian schools didn't even give me an interview....it's sad, cause I love this country :( ...but hey, it looks like I'm moving to Europe :D

Guest jinfat

I havent heard a thing, did they send you your stuff (Nerdball, or whoever else can help) to you permanent address or to you school address, I live in T.O. but go to school in Kingston.

MCAT: 9 9 10 Q (blah western!)

undergrad GPA: 3.6~ish

tons of extra-curric

Jin

Guest Nerdball

Blah Western indeed, I was waitlisted there last year and didn't even get an interview from them this year {shaking fist}.

Ummm...they sent it to my school address. I think this might only be the first round, I'm sure there's more coming. Your GPA+MCAT+EC sound like you're a pretty good candidate...hang in there I guess...

Archived