Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

NB Applicant

Pretty disappointed to be rejected from Dal and waitlisted at MUN, but I understand it was an exceptionally difficult cycle for NB applicants.

Your preserverance rocks. Why did you say that it's an exceptionally difficult year for NB applicants?

Accepted IP:NS

I've been IP waitlisted for the last two years, so getting in was especially rewarding. NO MORE WAITING! I know that there are a few of us out there who were double waitlisters - I hope we all got in!

MCAT: 30 (8-Bio, 10-Physics 12-Verbal)

GPA: 3.85 OMSAS

EC's: Some medical volunteering, lots of student and university governance, Master's degree. I rewrote my essay with help from future_doc - a shout out of thanks!

Interview: I practiced quite a bit over the last three years. Jeanette Hung's seminar was fun, insightful, and very helpful!

I am so pumped to be able to post this!

I am a NS resident and it was my second time applying.

GPA: ~3.9/4.0

MCAT 31

ECs: lots of work experience, ESL tutoring, nursing home and hospital volunteering, Special Olympics coaching, honours thesis, a couple of publications, Ultimate Frisbee, etc.

IP NS - third time applying: Finally accepted and beyond thankful and relieved!!

I am so happy to be posting this. The last two years I was waitlisted (which was difficult to say the least). I have no regrets now though and am so glad I kept trying! an_emo_meter I'm so happy for you. We did it! Yay! Haven't seen posts from any of the other double waitlisters yet. Hope they got in too.

My first year I had a slightly below average (being average accepted score) for my interview and extracurricular score, so I worked very hard to improve my ECs and practiced lots for my interview. I spent a lot of time re-writing my essay and I know that helped. My second try, I had above average ECs but below average interview again (grades and mcat exactly average both years). I spent a lot of time carefully reflecting every aspect of the interview and what could I do differently. I also matured a lot over two years and I think that helped. :) Being waitlisted is the most draining and difficult experience. It's so hard on your emotions and sometimes self-esteem. For those of you who are waitlisted, don't give up! You are so close! Know that you're good enough to be there with us and would be if there were more seats available. It's the smallest points values we're talking about at this point. It's impossible to not stress or be upset (trust me I understand, I've been there) but just know that when you do get that acceptance, whether it's later this summer or next year, it will all be worth it! I promise! And for those who are waitlisted a second or third time, I feel for you. Seriously. I've talked to people who say that trying 4 or 5 tries before acceptance is getting to very common. So don't give up, and good luck to you all!

And finally, to everyone who got in, congrats! Can't wait to meet you all in August!

GPA 3.85 OMSAS

MCAT 30s

ECs: Currently doing research full-time in medically related field, medically related honours research, NSERC, full scholarship to undergrad, 5 years hospital volunteering, initiated and directed program at local hospital, executive role in uni clubs, many leadership roles, worked thorugh university. To be honest, this was definitely my strong area and I filled in every slot on the application form with meaningful entries. I know some people say that admissions may look poorly on this, but I disagree. I scored above the average by doing that, and I don't have anything particularly special on my CV - I just explained how meaningful items were even when it didn't seem like much on the surface. Put everything you can think of!

Interview: definite difference between my third one and initial two. I was calmer, able to see the big picture better, and better explained all points of view.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Rejected

NS in-province

MCAT 28O (11-verbal /10-biological /7-physical)

GPA 3.6

ECAs: pretty strong (I thought): I started a student society and led it for 3 years, other executive positions in student clubs, community volunteering-3 years, doctor shadowing, medical volunteering abroad (3 times), volunteered as a research assistant for 2 years, and a semester abroad. some awards and scholarships.

Interview: I felt happy with it afterwards.

I only applied to Dal, so I will be reapplying again this year.

• 8 months later...

NB first time applicant: WAITLISTED

MCAT: 31

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 12

Bio Sciences: 9

GPA: 4.1 / 4.3

ECs: relatively strong and extensive (I thought), but potentially lacking medical relevency:

athletics, coaching, extensive work with habitat for humanity in NB and USA, Women in Transition House of Fredericton, very involved in leadership roles on campus at UNB (orientation week, program planning, fundraising, etc), working with children with disabilities through therapeutic riding, therapeutic recreation internship at local nursing home.

Can't believe it. FOURTH time applying, and I've been accepted! IP (NS)

GPA 3.7/4.0

MCAT 29R (11/9/9)

ECs - Covered everything. Medical research, RA, tutoring, national level athlete, scholarships, volunteering, high level of music etc etc

Interview - Felt really good about it when I left. Knowing my score from last year helped too. Lots of prep was key I think - would highly recommend the MMI prep book for those who are looking for some structure.

Can't wait to meet everybody in August!

I'm an IP applicant, waitlisted first time around. Accepted! Looking forward to meeting my new classmates.

My GPA was 3.9 on the Dal scale and and my MCAT scores were

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 13

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: R

ECs were pretty diverse with hospital volunteering, TAing bio and anatomy courses, tutoring, student groups, etc.

So bloody happy! :D

After 3 years I can't believe I get to post some good news in this thread!

Accepted NB Applicant!

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 26 (Bleh!)

EC: Extensive medical research background, graduate degree, taught a medically relevant course at UNB, student government, local volunteering, etc.

If there's any other accepted NB students that would like to chat, feel free to PM me and we can exchange emails/skype handles!

See you in the fall!

IP (NS) Rejected

GPA: 3.7/4.0

MCAT: 28O (11-verbal /10-biological /7-physical)

ECAs: pretty strong: I started a medically related student society and led it for 4 years, other executive positions in student clubs for 3-4 years, community volunteering-4 years, doctor shadowing, medical volunteering abroad (3 times), volunteered as a research assistant for 2 years, and a semester abroad. Many awards and scholarships.

Interview: I felt happy with it afterwards, and prepared a lot for it.

score: 68.05

Waitlisted OOP :(

Total score: 78.90. Average total score for those OOP accepted: 86 T_T.

Can other OOP waitlisters post their scores as well?

Also does anyone know in previous years the lower end of the OOP scores that eventually got in off the waitlist?

In any case, a huge congrats to everyone that was accepted!!

IP (NS): ACCEPTED!!

MCAT: 30

GPA: 3.9 (dal scale)

EC: medical (and other) research, hospital volunteering, random volunteering, lots athletics, hobbies, etc.

-2nd time applying, didn't feel my interview went as well as last years, but improved on my essay and ECs

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 24

IP(NS): accepted (3rd time applying)

EC: med research, clinical work, hospital employment, lots of non-medical related activities

Very honored to be among the accepted as I know every candidate is worthy. For those whose day was not today, keep striving to be the best you can be.

IP (NS) first time applicant

MCAT: 29
GPA: 4.0
ECs: average-strong - high levels of sport and coaching, musician, society president, 1 summer research scholarship, honours, hospital volunteering, other volunteer projects, many awards
Essay: felt strong
Interview: felt decent/good enough

Turns out my interview is what dropped my score, which was surprising because I prepared a lot for the interview and thought my average extracurriculars would be the deciding factor (which they weren't).

I will be applying again next year, planning to work and add more extracurriculars this coming year. Congrats to everyone accepted; particularly those who made it after a few tries - inspiring for people like me!

Accepted OOP, I honestly can't believe it...

Third application cycle, 2nd time applying to Dal (was waitlisted the first time in 2011)

Dal GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 34

ECs: lots of research (MSc, pubs, presentations, abstracts), medically-related experience for 7+ years, varied volunteering experiences, sports

Interview: I felt amazing afterwards but then doubted much of what I said for the next few months :rolleyes:. I went in fairly comfortable/felt prepared and loved the experience.

My only other interview this cycle was Toronto, however Dal is my first choice. Can't wait to meet everyone at Orientation Week!!!

I hope that those still waiting to hear from Dalhousie and other schools receive great news in the near future!

Accepted

First time applicant

In Province

MCAT: 24 (nothing like scraping by!)

GPA: 3.95/4.0

EC's: Wide variety from hospital volunteering to being cast in a musical. Definitely have medically related experience

Interview: Well, it was an MMI so who knows :)