Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 

IP - NS resident

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 506

Essay: I felt pretty good about this!

ECs: research publication, worked in helathcare, many school clubs, etc etc 

Interview: I felt pretty confident leaving, but started doubting myself as time went on!

Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!

I've been so hesitant posting on Dal's forum prior to today because it's one of my top choices but I'm so relieved that I am ACCEPTED! 

IP - NS resident

GPA: 4.3

MCAT: 522

Essay: I think I talked about good points although the overall structure was weak

ECs: research and publications, scholarships, some volunteer, TA, some extracurricular activities, part time job

Interview: felt very comfortable during it although again the delivery of my responses were quite unorganized. I thought most of my points were average except for maybe a couple more insightful ones

Congrats everyone I can't wait to meet you!! Those with regrets, don't give up. Even if you're discouraged by your score, know that it can be improved drastically! 

Time Stamp: Mar 5, 10:01 pm AST

Waitlisted (Total: 64.27; NS Average: 69.6)

IP/OOP: IP

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 512

Essay: Looks like it wasn't too great. Rather low essay and supplemental total score, which is a little disappointing. Perhaps I could have described my activities better, or maybe I am not as well rounded of an applicant as I could be. Ah well, live and learn!

ECs: ~8 years research (7 publications, 2 first authors; conference; various research awards and scholarships), >5 years hospital volunteering, >4 years sighted guide, >2 years tutoring, student societies, hobbies: art, recreational sports, and long distance running

Interview: Expected the lower score here. Went into my interview day already exhausted and running on fumes.

Year: Completed Master's

My score's probably too far from the average for an acceptance in the NS pool. Looks like I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for Western and UofT for now. Congratulations to those who have received an acceptance today, and all the best to everyone still traversing this rocky journey towards medicine!

What is the general feeling about IP waitlists? I was waitlisted last year and didn't make it in, and then again this year. I'm happy my scores moved up a lot overall, but not super optimistic for this year, but also really don't have a feeling for what to expect on the waitlist. Using hypothetical standard deviations that seemed reasonable for each category, I calculated summed z-scores for this year and last, but obviously have no way of gauging where they sit on the list. So in other words, it was mostly an unproductive activity ;-) Although I was able to show that regardless of what the standard deviations are, if they were relatively similar in 2017 and 2018, my summed z-score did go up by about half its value.

Waitlisted (Total: 66.63; NS Average: 69.6)

IP/OOP: IP

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 513

Essay: felt ok about it, was a bit "sterile" to read but went through many drafts and revisions and it made the points I wanted. 

ECs: a couple first author publications, ~5 years of research, some recreational sports, music, lots of hospital volunteering and political stuff, volunteering with local groups and charities. 

Interview: most stations went ok, except for 2 that left me feeling really unsatisfied. I tried to structure my answers really clearly, didn't always work the way I'd hoped, especially when the interviewer seemed to want to take it in a different direction. 

Year: completed MSc

Congrats to everyone who got in, and best of luck to the others waitlisted :-) 

Hey everyone, especially fellow applicants on the IP waitlist....it's been gnawing at me wondering where I am on the list and also how the z-score system works. I just wrote a algorithm in MATLAB that, using what seem like reasonable standard deviations for the distributions of scores, calculates z-scores randomly and calculates rankings. What was interesting is that it did show how someone with a higher overall score could definitely be ranked below someone else with a lower score, and it also let me make a guess at where my waitlist position might be. By doing 10,000 iterations of the algorithm, I made a plot of the chances of me being in any given position on the waitlist given the scores in my different sections. The results stop changing very much after about 2000 iterations. I tested it out with the numbers from last year (I was also waitlisted and didn't get in, so know that I was at least number 9 or higher since 8 people were admitted), and it gave a reasonable result. I don't know how accurate it is, I could be completely off the mark, but the results don't change considerably when I vary the variables I don't know (like standard deviation of score distribution or maximum and minimum scores for admitted + waitlisted. I chose high values to be conservative). Statistically, I figured using an iterative approach was the only way I could shed some more light on what my chances of getting admitted this year are. How many people do you think are waitlisted in province? I would guess 10-20, probably about 15? 

Leaving this for future applicants, not that it matters much if you are IP...

Accepted 

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 511 

Casper: crap, wrote it 14 hours after my mcat. Tried to find the middle ground while pointing out both sides of the problems. Didn’t get Mac or Ottawa so I’m assuming it wasn’t the best.

EC and Essays: definitely my strong side, your basic premed 101 volunteerism, worked minimum wage jobs from highschool till application, academic based scholarship and very strong research background

Interview: was a blast. Loved every second of it and definitely the best part of this crazy premed journey. Be ready to think on your feet, think critically and back up what you mean. Reflect on your experiences, know “contemporary” issues in medicine and the Dal curriculum. 

• 3 weeks later...

Accepted off the IP waitlist

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 515 

Casper: Always hate writing it, most stressful part of the entire application as far as I'm concerned.

EC and Essays: Worked hard on my essay this year, had lots of people I trust proof-read it... ended up doing slightly worse compared to last year haha!

Interview: Always a good time. MMI is a fun way to interview, just remember to shake it off if you have a bad station. I could barely talk in coherent sentences for one and I still made it.

Score: 66.97

So very excited. I started shaking and crying when I got my email, my limbs went numb which made it rather difficult to reply to the email haha. Never, ever, EVER give up if this is something you want. Third time was the charm for me :) 

19 minutes ago, js660327 said:

Accepted off the IP waitlist

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 515 

Casper: Always hate writing it, most stressful part of the entire application as far as I'm concerned.

EC and Essays: Worked hard on my essay this year, had lots of people I trust proof-read it... ended up doing slightly worse compared to last year haha!

Interview: Always a good time. MMI is a fun way to interview, just remember to shake it off if you have a bad station. I could barely talk in coherent sentences for one and I still made it.

Score: 66.97

So very excited. I started shaking and crying when I got my email, my limbs went numb which made it rather difficult to reply to the email haha. Never, ever, EVER give up if this is something you want. Third time was the charm for me :) 

So proud of you js, your resilience finally paid off :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Time Stamp: April 12, 8:24 am EST

Accepted!! (Saint John New Brunswick Campus)

IP/OOP: OOP

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 516

Essay: It looks like my essay and supplemental score was the lowest out of the three categories, but I worked hard on it and I was proud of it!

ECs: A pretty diverse set of activities overall. Research (publications and a few oral and poster presentations at research conferences), hospital ER volunteering, peer helper on campus, volunteering at a local after-school program, leadership positions at clubs on campus, a couple years of varsity sports in high school, and taking and teaching piano lessons.

Interview: This was my first MMI, so I didn't know what to expect going in. After the first station, I settled in and it actually became pretty fun! Dalhousie's interviewers are probably some of the nicest people out there :) 

Year: 4th year UG

Overall score: 76.57

This came as a complete surprise. I'm still in shock! I figured that if I got an offer at all, it wouldn't be until closer to the end of May, especially because I knew there were higher scores out there. I'm just so, so excited!

Keep your head up and your eyes peeled everyone. There are lots of offers to come yet!

Time Stamp: April 12, 2:00PM 

With tears in my eyes... ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! (OOP WL)

GPA: 3.9 MCAT: 515

Essay: I tried my hardest on this section bc im not very confident in my essay writing but ended up having to rush it more than I thought I would have to due to work. Weakest section by far really recommend taking extra time on this!!

ECs: Research for a couple of years in Biology and Humanities (no pubs but impact was significant curriculum changes to 2 large uni courses), curriculum design assistant (published 2 interactive books), digital media assistant (mostly videography), undergrad TA for 2 terms,1300+ hrs of paid mentorship and tutoring, Crohns/Colitis volunteer, some unique placement experiences, cofounder of a startup.

Interview: First interview of my life so I had a lot of trouble sleeping the night before. I felt like most of the sections were okay, 2 stations I felt really good on, but there was a station I completely bombed because I didnt read the prompt correctly and there wasn't enough time to save it.

My total score was 77.63

I am a non-trad applicant and ive worked through so many failures and uncertainties its hard to describe how amazing this feels. I was put on academic probation after first year because I couldn't handle this idea of trying to out-compete my peers, the anxiety was too much and I was too scared to reach out for help. It took a break from uni for 1.5 years for me to be able to face my fears and accept being vulnerable/reaching out for help. I told myself that if this didn't happen for me this year, I would have to start pursuing a realistic backup. At a time where my family has been struggling, being able to call my momma and update her with this is unbelievable. 

This process almost feels like its designed to test your constitution constantly, I can't tell you how many times I nearly gave up. Don't let the process make you forget your own intrinsic value in this world, we all mean so much more than an application!!!

1 hour ago, Nibbler said:

Essay: I tried my hardest on this section bc im not very confident in my essay writing but ended up having to rush it more than I thought I would have to due to work. Weakest section by far really recommend taking extra time on this!!

ECs: Research for a couple of years in Biology and Humanities (no pubs but impact was significant curriculum changes to 2 large uni courses), curriculum design assistant (published 2 interactive books), digital media assistant (mostly videography), undergrad TA for 2 terms,1300+ hrs of paid mentorship and tutoring, Crohns/Colitis volunteer, some unique placement experiences, cofounder of a startup with over 1.5M in revenue.

Interview: First interview of my life so I had a lot of trouble sleeping the night before. I felt like most of the sections were okay, 2 stations I felt really good on, but there was a station I completely bombed because I didnt read the prompt correctly and there wasn't enough time to save it.

My total score was 77.63

I am a non-trad applicant and ive worked through so many failures and uncertainties its hard to describe how amazing this feels. I was put on academic probation after first year because I couldn't handle this idea of trying to out-compete my peers, the anxiety was too much and I was too scared to reach out for help. It took a break from uni for 1.5 years for me to be able to face my fears and accept being vulnerable/reaching out for help. I told myself that if this didn't happen for me this year, I would have to start pursuing a realistic backup. At a time where my family has been struggling, being able to call my momma and update her with this is unbelievable. 

This process almost feels like its designed to test your constitution constantly, I can't tell you how many times I nearly gave up. Don't let the process make you forget your own intrinsic value in this world, we all mean so much more than an application!!!

Congrats!! So happy for you :)

17 hours ago, Nibbler said:

ECs: Research for a couple of years in Biology and Humanities (no pubs but impact was significant curriculum changes to 2 large uni courses), curriculum design assistant (published 2 interactive books), digital media assistant (mostly videography), undergrad TA for 2 terms,1300+ hrs of paid mentorship and tutoring, Crohns/Colitis volunteer, some unique placement experiences, cofounder of a startup with over 1.5M in revenue.

My total score was 77.63

Congratulations! :) and welcome to the Dal class of 2022!  do you know what campus you are accepted to?? 

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, hwhit said:

Accepted

OOP

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 509

Essay: Felt ok/relatively good about it

EC: health-related(ish) work experience, volunteering, a little bit of leadership

Interview: Felt good leaving, but most seemed to feel the same so it was hard to know

Is 4.00 your 2yr GPA? or CGPA?

44 minutes ago, MDPLZ said:

Is 4.00 your 2yr GPA? or CGPA?

I believe it would be 2 yr GPA (technically?) since I did COOP in my undergrad so they wanted grades for my four most recent full time terms of study (which were spread out over 2.5 years)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...