Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Accepted!!! :D

IP (NB)

MCAT: 510 / GPA: 3.9

Non-trad (10+ years working in tech / R&D)

2nd year applying to various schools. No interviews last cycle.

10+ years of various volunteering experiences in multiple sectors (sports, academia, innovation, community NGO's)

interview experience: I actually had a lot of fun with it once the jitters wore off.

2 hours ago, DaniCalifornia said:

Waitlist (OOP) Score 80.00

Fingers crossed for some waitlist movement!!

Did a double take when I saw that score...super high! Obviously no guarantees, but if I was in your shoes I wouldn't feel bad at all about that score - but I'm sure you knew that!

Congrats everyone joining the Dal Med family :)  For those on the waitlist or who didn't get an offer this year, remember that each individual's path to medicine is different. For some, the road is a tiny bit longer, or is slightly more convoluted - but with dedication, hard work, and perseverance you can all get there!

2 hours ago, LiveLifeToTheMaxillary said:

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by nontrad? I’m graduating this year but taking 2 gap years, would I be non traditional as well? 

Hey, thanks!

By non-traditional, I mean that I don't have a pre-med or science background. I completed my Bachelor of Fine Arts (major in Interdisciplinary Fine Arts) in 2011. I bought textbooks and watched youtube videos to teach myself the MCAT material while working full-time.

I highly recommend a gap year. Or two, or three, or ten. I'm biased, but I think a broad range of life experience is very helpful when it comes to understanding people and the challenges people face, and I believe that understanding and compassion are key to good primary care.

Best of luck! :)

18 minutes ago, Jessletmein said:

Waitlist (NS) Score 71.17

3.8/512 

Essay/Supp: 22.17

Interview: 30

Happy to finally hear back, praying from some movement, does anyone know how many are placed on the waitlists?

Don't quote me on this, but I think in previous years the NS IP waitlist has been estimated at around 25-30 people. Obviously that includes people from just below the acceptance cutoff (which varies from year to year, but for my year was about 72-73) to those on the lower end - mid 60s. Totally speculating here but I'd guesstimate movement of like 10 people off the waitlist. A few years ago I remember a document posted somewhere online that outlined all of this - cant find it now, but if you assume waitlist movement is similar year to year, those are roughly the numbers you might get. Fingers crossed for you!

So I’ve seen that a student currently in dal pharmacy class of 2023 got an acceptance, the letter was posted on Facebook. I was under the pretty clear impression that you strictly weren’t allowed to start any graduate or undergraduate program at Dal and apply to med during it... otherwise everyone would start a new program (ie. the health tech programs such as radiology) and apply to med right away instead of taking a year off to apply again - this was to prevent people from bailing on programs.... I am very confused about this? 

16 hours ago, Cantoune said:

there's is no such rule, a program can't really prevent you from applying to other programs and/or changing your mind. The only "rule" from dal med is that if you're applying and using a current graduate program in your application you need to have it finished in July before you start. However, even with graduate programs, if you start a grad program and don't use it in your application (eg you just use your undergrad grades and things like that), nothing is holding you to finish it before applying to med. Obviously this is not taking into account the "ethical" and "moral" reasons why you shouldn't start a graduate/professional program while applying to medical school

14 minutes ago, Susanboone said:

It says right on Dals website that you cannot apply mid graduate or undergraduate program. I actually checked 2 years ago when I almost went into Pharmacy but was told unless I actively withdrew before med admissions came out, I was not eligible to apply. I know another person who was admitted while in Physiotherapy and had their offer revoked as well. Other med students have also confirmed this has been a rule in the past years too. 

So the person previously must have done an undergrad. And also, pharmacy 2023 in Dalhousie is not Pharm D (but tbh even Pharm D might not be grad programs) and therefore not considered a grad course. Grad courses are Msc, Masc, Mba and etc.

There is a restriction to grad programs. As mentioned before, you cannot drop out midway unless you finish the degree, even if you have an undergrad degree.

You can "drop out" of undergrad programs IF you already graduated completely from one undergrad program, is what I got when talking with admissions.

15 hours ago, Realplayer said:

So the person previously must have done an undergrad. And also, pharmacy 2023 in Dalhousie is not Pharm D (but tbh even Pharm D might not be grad programs) and therefore not considered a grad course. Grad courses are Msc, Masc, Mba and etc.

There is a restriction to grad programs. As mentioned before, you cannot drop out midway unless you finish the degree, even if you have an undergrad degree.

You can "drop out" of undergrad programs IF you already graduated completely from one undergrad program, is what I got when talking with admissions.

Interesting. When I spoke with admissions they told me I could not do this, even after I completed my first degree.