Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

1 hour ago, Horseshoe50 said:

ACCEPTED!!!!! Off waitlist :):):) 

SO HAPPY!

First time applicant, GPA: 4.00, MCAT: 505 (my interview really did me well because my supplemental wasn't great lol)

Overall score 74.68! WOW I AM CRYING!!!!!!!!

congratulations!!!! what was your interview score?

3 hours ago, Horseshoe50 said:

ACCEPTED!!!!! Off waitlist :):):) 

SO HAPPY!

First time applicant, GPA: 4.00, MCAT: 505 (my interview really did me well because my supplemental wasn't great lol)

Overall score 74.68! WOW I AM CRYING!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!! Can you share your ECs for the rest of us heathen? I’d like to get an idea of what is considered ‘competitive’.

16 hours ago, LiveLifeToTheMaxillary said:

Congratulations!!!!! Can you share your ECs for the rest of us heathen? I’d like to get an idea of what is considered ‘competitive’.

Thank you!!!! and of course!!! I am the research coordinator in the Otolaryngology - Head and Neck clinic here. I have 2 publications and 2 submitted!! (1st author for 1, 3rd author for the other). I worked at a farm and did tours for kids in elementary school, was a full time babysitter, did my honours research, started my MSc research in fish genetics and quit that (gained a lot of experience there I believe, plus learned a lot about myself). Vice President of Environmental Science Student Association at my school and was the Environmental Science representative of the Women in Science Club! ummmmmm was a Teaching Assistant for two courses, volunteered at hospital and nursing homes, and was a Unit Aide! A few more but that's just what I can think of at the moment!!!! Hope this helps! (I think I could have done a much better job explaining my ECs)

• 4 weeks later...

Offer received today - Halifax Campus (OOP, from waitlist - will be accepting!)

4.0 GPA, low 500s MCAT

WL score 79.5

No maritime connection

Incredibly humbled by this opportunity and so excited to be joining the Dal Med community! To those that are still waiting or didn’t receive the news they’d hope for this cycle, don’t lose hope - I believe in you! <3 

• 9 months later...

Accepted IP NS !

GPA 3.7

MCAT 513

I'm 34, second time applying. Didn't think I had what it took coming out of school, but dealt with that last year. These two years almost broke me. I work as a public servant in a non-health related field. Worked hard in the past year to gain experience by working in a long term care facility, took on more volunteering on top of my community work, started a new research project, etc..

Honestly didn't think it was in the cards for me. Especially with next year's changes to the interview criteria. I'm overjoyed. You can do it too. 

Accepted

IP NS

GPA 3.9

MCAT 515 (128/130/129/128)

I cannot believe it. I'm turning 26 this year and this is my fourth application. Waitlisted first two, rejected the third, I was very very doubtful this year would bring positive news. I did an accelerated nursing degree after I didn't get in the first two times and I've been working as a nurse for about six months. Was settling in and planning my career as a nurse. Can't believe this. The next application would have been my last.

To those who are receiving disappointing news this year. Two things: one, do not give up on your dreams, but two, realize that there is more to life than medical school and being a doctor. My life expanded so much in the last few years and I am so grateful for all of the experiences I've had. These experiences taught me that medicine is not the be all end all and life is still very good without it. I don't think I would have learned this had I gotten in right away.