Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

This still doesn't feel real!

Accepted IP NB 

GPA 4.0 MCAT 506

Casper 2nd quartile 

I am a graduate student (masters) and it's my second year applying. I was waitlisted last year. My ECs improved quite a bit with publications, research, scholarships, etc. But already had a lot of work and volunteer experiences. 

My big weakness was my interview so I spent a lot more time practicing this year. 

I can't wait to start! When will this start to feel real? I keeping waiting to get an "oops we made a mistake" email. I have read my acceptance letter to the point of memorizing it...

Accepted IP (PEI) - 3rd cycle

MCAT: 504

GPA: 3.6

CASPer: 4th Quartile

What a journey! I was waitlisted the past two years and wrote the MCAT 4 times. I worked on improving my supplemental and interview over the last year to make up for my lower academic score. I never thought this day would come, so if anyone is feeling discouraged, know you can do it! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, koalaking67 said:

Offer received today - Halifax Campus (OOP, from waitlist - will be accepting!)

4.0 GPA, low 500s MCAT

WL score 79.5

No maritime connection

Incredibly humbled by this opportunity and so excited to be joining the Dal Med community! To those that are still waiting or didn’t receive the news they’d hope for this cycle, don’t lose hope - I believe in you! <3 

Hi!! I hope your first year at Dal is going well!! Do you know if anyone last year got accepted off the OOP waitlist with a score lower than 75/if anyone else got accepted off the OOP waitlist after you? Thank you so much!! I am currently on the OOP waitlist right now, and I just wanna know whattt chances might be towards the end of this month leading into June. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, Bandersnatch said:

Accepted IP NS

Holy hell this has been a long road. I don’t know if my experience is more inspirational or cautionary.

•    ⁠3.34cGPA, 4.2 Masters GPA
•    ⁠506 MCAT
•    ⁠Career in health administration from Masters degree
•    ⁠Plenty of ECs over the 14 years since I decided to pursue medicine

This was the last year my MCAT was valid, and probably the last year I would ever get an interview based on Dal’s new criteria for interview selection.

This was my sixth application cycle since 2014. I’m 32 now. When I was waitlisted for the fourth time last March, I decided to act on a plan B: I wrote the LSAT, applied to Dal Law, was accepted and then was offered a full scholarship.

I was singularly focussed on med from 2008 until 2021, but I’m now finding myself in a rare dilemma after finally reaching my goal. Law has gotten under my skin and the scholarship can’t be ignored. The last two years in a pandemic have made me reevaluate a few things, as has becoming a father during that time.

I have a lot of thinking to do.

This is truly an inspirational story. The amount of resilience you have is admirable. I'm less than a year away from becoming an attending and it's been a long and arduous road. I really recommending going with your gut - the law school and scholarship is a remarkable achievement. Priorities also shift when you start a family and med school/residency will be very demanding, but I'm sure so will law school. 

PM me if you want practical advice about a career in medicine (med school, residency, etc.).

Wish you luck!

• 7 months later...

Accepted IP NB - 3rd cycle

MCAT: 516

GPA: 3.7

CASPER: Q4

I cant believe it happened!!! Rewrote the MCAT this past summer and did much better than previous score, and completely rethought my interview process/strategy for this year. I went from rejection after interview, to waitlist last year and now finally accepted!! An absolute dream come true. 

After three years on the waitlist, this year I was actually accepted!!! (Of course, during the application cycle that I told myself would be my last try haha). Still can't believe it. 

IP NB

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 509

Lots of volunteer experience, masters degree in experimental psychology, year-long certificate in healthcare ethics through UNB. Currently working as a research coordinator through Horizon Health.

I've spent the last few years scrolling through these forums wondering what I could be doing better. If that's you, feel free to reach out at any time. I'm happy to give more details about my journey if it helps :)

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

After three years on the waitlist, this year I was actually accepted!!! (Of course, during the application cycle that I told myself would be my last try haha). Still can't believe it. 

IP NB

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 509

Lots of volunteer experience, masters degree in experimental psychology, year-long certificate in healthcare ethics through UNB. Currently working as a research coordinator through Horizon Health.

I've spent the last few years scrolling through these forums wondering what I could be doing better. If that's you, feel free to reach out at any time. I'm happy to give more details about my journey if it helps :)

Congratulations!! 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, timtian5 said:

For those people who were waitlisted, when you accepted your waitlist position, did any of you receive a reply from Dal Med Admissions confirming that they received your response?

When I was waitlisted last year I did not receive confirmation that they received my email, but I was on the waitlist since they sent me an email in August confirming that there were no more spots available.