Premed 101 Forums

Should I Change My Major ?

jbm10

Hey there,

just a quick comment from someone who was in a similar position.

Think about what you are really interested in doing. I struggled in years 1/2 with some of the pre-req courses as well, orgo chem etc. Once you get into 3rd and 4th years there is *Usually* a bit more freedom in choices in programs like biomed sci. AND the courses become much more interesting...not just the basic cell bio/micro bio type stuff...and people generally do better in these types of courses (imo).

I dont have any insight into whether adcom's look negatively upon switching (although I HIGHLY doubt it)...but I thought I'd try and show you the sunnier side of your program :)

I'm just wondering if the adcoms (Ontario) look at changing majors like this as a negative.

I can tell you that someone on a committee may see you've changed majors, or schools or whatever and may ask you "How come" or "Why." It amuses me to say, make sure you don't say for the easier marks to get where you are 'today' if you get to the interview. Someone I know, got the cut because of that. So even though you may be doing it for the marks, don't let them know that.

I am finishing off my 2nd year BSc in Biomedical Science (minor in Psych) and am thinking of changing my major to BSc in Psychology in order to raise my GPA.

Right now my GPA sits at 3.4-3.5, dragged down mostly by my org chem and chem courses (C+ marks) I do really well in my Psych courses which I also find a lot easier to do. My GPA in my 4 (1/2 year) psych and philo courses I have taken to date has averaged 3.9.

If I make this change I will have to take a couple of 1st year courses in my third year in order to meet the Psych requirements, but I can finish off without having to take any "extra" courses. I already have all the prereqs required by most of the Med schools. Years 3 and 4 will be almost entirely Psych and Philosophy courses.

I'm just wondering if the adcoms (Ontario) look at changing majors like this as a negative.

What university do you go to?

I am finishing off my 2nd year BSc in Biomedical Science (minor in Psych) and am thinking of changing my major to BSc in Psychology in order to raise my GPA.

Right now my GPA sits at 3.4-3.5, dragged down mostly by my org chem and chem courses (C+ marks) I do really well in my Psych courses which I also find a lot easier to do. My GPA in my 4 (1/2 year) psych and philo courses I have taken to date has averaged 3.9.

If I make this change I will have to take a couple of 1st year courses in my third year in order to meet the Psych requirements, but I can finish off without having to take any "extra" courses. I already have all the prereqs required by most of the Med schools. Years 3 and 4 will be almost entirely Psych and Philosophy courses.

I don't think they will look upon it negatively. they might ask your reason behind it, but with a valid reason they should not penalize you. Just do what you know the best for you and do take into consideration where your interest lie.

are you, by any chance, a yorky?

Archived