Premed 101 Forums

Irish Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted 2008

I think the medical schools in Ireland are pretty standardised. The reason for RCSI being a little more expensive is because it's a private school and a registered charity, not because they're just in it for the money...

It also seems that people from RCSI have been doing quite well with matching back in NA :) As long as you work hard, you will become a good doctor, and will eventually be able to pay off the massive loans!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got FED-EX from UCC, accepted into the 4 year program!

I'm from: Toronto, Ontario

My country of citizenship is: Canada

Currently studying: Finished undergrad in Biochem

At this University: McMaster University

My GPA is: Undergrad 3.2 My two best years: 3.7

My MCAT Scores were: 34Q (Physical Sciences: 10 ,Verbal: 13,

Biological Sciences: 11 Writing Sample: Q)

I applied to: Trinity, UCD, UCC, Most Canadian schools (except the ones that don't consider MCAT scores)

I was accepted at: UCC

I was waitlisted at: Waiting

I was rejected from: most Canadian schools except Western, Trinity

My first choice school is: University of Western Ontario (UWO)

I still have the UWO interview this weekend and I haven't heard from UCD yet. I'm gonna go ahead and put in my deposit for UCC, even though if Western comes through it'll be a waste of $4,000 Euros!!! Nonetheless, seeing as how I don't have to finalize the rest of the payment to them till August 1st I can still wait and see what happens with Western in case I get waitlisted again, and I'm definitly tired of applying within Canada!

I have applied to medical schools this many times: This is my 3rd time applying. I was waitlisted at UWO last year, this is my final shot for Canadian schools.

• 2 weeks later...

based on canadian interviews...i've decided to take a huge gamble and rejected an offer from UCD 4-yr program... so 1 non-EU spot up for grabs

edit: besides, i got the package on st patty's day, so i'm fairly certain they were intoxicated when they sent it ;)

anything here?

UCD / Trinity / Galway - not rejected nor accepted.

UCD - finished with round 2 offers and will only offer more based on withdrawals or declined acceptances.

Trinity / Galway - doing their round 1

Am I in a good or bad position?

I just want a definite answer, good or bad, so I can move on and get

the next game plan sorted out.

I haven't received my package yet! It was fedex'd two days ago, but i have yet to receive it. So i haven't seen the actual costs, but figured it would be out of this world. I am still waiting on Canada too. Depending on how much the deposit is, i likely won't be putting it down for trinity...

If things don't work out in Canada I will likely be heading to Saba.

I found out by e-mail. There was a charge on my visa for $30 from ABP, so i e-mailed them to ask about it, and they told me it was an acceptance from Trinity. I JUST found out it was shipped to my old place in newfoundland, not where i live now in NS.fedex just told me i won't get the package before tuesday now.

Just wondering if anyone else is going CRAZY waiting to hear back from IReland!!! I applied to three schools (Cork, Galway and Dublin) and I still haven't heard anything from either of them. I emailed atlantic Bridge late last month and got the usual 'be patient' email. I tried callign the schools too but they wouldn't tell me anything either. Its just so hard to stay patient especially as April is quickly flying by. Has anyone been able to get anything out of anyone in the way of news??? Keep us all posted!!!

I have been accepted to UCD as well, so will be turning down Trinity (despite Trinity being less costly, its five years, and well i'm not getting any younger). So another trinity spot will be out there for someone.

(Maybe a UCD spot too, if i chicken out on paying this ridiculous deposit:rolleyes: ).

How do you guys plan on paying for your degree? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone... Am I out of the loop about something, or does it really cost 320,000 (canadian) including living expenses over 4 years? Isn't that an insane amount that would be nearly impossible to pay given the interest due every month? If it was 80,000 less I might jump for it.. but 320,000.... The cost is just so ridiculous.

How do you guys plan on paying for your degree? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone... Am I out of the loop about something, or does it really cost 320,000 (canadian) including living expenses over 4 years? Isn't that an insane amount that would be nearly impossible to pay given the interest due every month? If it was 80,000 less I might jump for it.. but 320,000.... The cost is just so ridiculous.

The costs are astronomical! I think it is something you need to know before going into the whole application process, or else it is just too shocking when the acceptances come your way. A lot of people who end up going to Ireland have parents who are willing and able to foot the bill. No interest needed, because many people will pay tuition straight-up every year. It is like going to an top ranking private school in the US.

I am unimpressed with some aspects of the Atlantic Bridge Program. They provide you will very minimal information before you apply (and give them hundreds of dollars to do so). The website says almost nothing about the benefits of studying in Ireland, and says NOTHING about potential drawbacks. It seems dishonest that they don't even tell you about the tuition, and I also think they should have sent info about the Return of Service agreement and getting back to North America to practice medicine. Anyways, it is a business, so they don't want you to know about that stuff before you apply. My recommendation for anybody thinking of applying is to do a lot of research beforehand.

They also send out acceptances before people have heard back from Canadian schools so that they can get the deposits...so annoying. I put a deposit down for RCSI as a security measure, even though I hope to get in somewhere here.

Just got my acceptance in the mail today from Trinity but will be declining as I got accepted in Canada.

Funny thing, and it may be nothing, but other than my current job doing research in a hospital, not much has changed since my application last year, as far as what I put down for my Trinity application anyway. However, last year I put that I would finance my tuition with loans and help from parents. This year, I only put my parents and myself. I know many people (a few who I know quite well, so I know most of their volunteering, and ECs) who got in last year with lower gpa's, less volunteering, less research, etc, or very similar stats. But their parents are definitely financing their education and that's what they put down on their application. Like I said, this may be nothing, but for future applicants who want to get in and will have to take a loan to pay the ridiculous fees, I wouldn't make that known...just to be sure.

Good luck to everyone! Hope you hear soon, the wait, especially with these guys can be brutal.

"If you haven't caught on yet from the tone of my prior posts Australia is really impressing as of late and making ABP look pretty shabby in contrast. I was stunned by the differences. Heck, some Australian schools even have adcoms actively engaging students talking over the pros and cons over at SDN. Very different vibe to say the least." Rogerroger

I have only started applying to Australia and it seems they are very friendly and engaging. They seem like they may actually want us there.

I applied through OzTrekk last year and was accepted to Queensland (and subsequently rejected my offer). Matt (the person who runs the program in Canada) is extremely friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend the process.

That said, keep in mind though that these people are PAID to recruit the best talent from Canada that they can, but more imporantly, your money! Make sure to do your homework and do what's best for you before accepting any offers!

Archived