Premed 101 Forums

Sask + Manitoba

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know if they give out more interviews if people do not accept theirs? Im thinking that some of the people that have been accepted to UBC wont be accepting the interview.

Why would people not accept the interview even if they've got the UBC acceptance. I even paid the deposit for UBC and am definitely attending the Manitoba interview. Their curriculum is so much better than UBCs and their tuition so much less.

I don't think that's as unfair as some other provinces, including Ont, which preserves 90% of the seats for IP. And that there's all the BC students (including me) screaming for unfair coz it's the only province that they have residence quota in and UBC doesn't give preference to them.

What??

Really? Ontario takes in 90% IP? is that UoT or Western??

What??

Really? Ontario takes in 90% IP? is that UoT or Western??

Well, don't quote me on that. But as far as I remember, all Canadian dental schools, except UBC, Dal, and Manitoba, takes 90% IP. Dal takes 90% from all Maritime provinces. Manitoba is waitlist IP only. So cry if u live in BC coz UBC wants to make big $ and they don't care if IP student can't get into dentistry coz BC is "the best place to live on earth" and there's always dentists moving there.

And I agree with you that Manitoba has a good curriculum. That is something that I did not know before coming to the school. We don't share any classes with med students. We have a lot of hands-on stuff beginning at first year. (Hey, we started drilling on plastic teeth on 2nd week of school. ubc does that at 2nd yr 2nd term. my fds there are a little bit concerned if they are not learning enough, but i m sure they'll be fine after 4 yrs.) Tuition is cheap. Mind you that we are also going through a lot of changes because the new dean's goal to make U of Manitoba one of the top 5 dental schools in north america.

Picking a dental school is not an easy decision. Think about the curriculum, the reputation of the school, location of the school, facility, family, friends, finance, research opportunity (for those who want to specialize), holiday time...etc.

bbqfish,

Thanks for the information,

I've already paid the deposit for UBC, and UBC is my last choice. And no! I'm not that rich... just that desperate to get into a dental school. That really is evil of them to force students to either pay and leave, or stay and not chose..

Now, say we get accepted to both UoT and Manitoba. Which would you suggest based on the criteria you've just mentioned, especially research opportunities. Do you happen to know how they compare?

I dont' know anyone who goes to U of T, so I can't comment on it too much. But I know anyone there essentially had perfect GPA in undergrad. And they take around 70-75 (forgot the exact number) per yr, so a bigger class. U may want to find out if they are PBL or not. If they use PBL, then class size shouldn't really matter that much. I also heard from someone in UWO that in UT, u buy a set of new tools at the beginning and when u grad, u get an old set back.

In UofM, u always use ur own set of tools, so how old/new they get when u grad depends on how u use them. cost is about $25000 for first yr (including instrument), I think UofM website has more precise info about tuition. I think yr 3 and yr 4 cost less coz they have less tools to buy. and we don't use PBL. And we use Vitalsource, meaning all our textbooks are on the computer. The faculty is looking into the possibility of some computer-based tests, instead of the traditional paper tests. Be prepared to use computer a lot to learn. Work on typing speed if u have time.

Location: I am from vancouver myself and winnipeg is a much smaller city in comparison. but if u r studying like crazy, shouldn't make too much of a difference. Toronto is big, and it has more entertainment opportunities. Cost of living.. hmm.. I think Winnipeg should be cheaper. Weather here sucks though. You are looking at minus 40, or even 50, at times.

Research: U of M has a BSc(dent) program, basically u do research for 2 summers. and u get an extra degree at the end. (honestly, it doens't matter unless u r super hard core about specialty) DMD alone gives u the right to treat patients.

Holiday: yr 1 and 2, start in mid aug, end before mid May. yr 3 and 4 starts early aug, end around end of May or June. (I forgot) Though, we are going through some changes, and this schedule may not be true by the time u get here.

And all schools require u to pay deposit, it's just that UBC's deposit is so much more expensive than other schools. But somebody gotta pay for all that fancy instruments in the clinic. And if ur family is in BC, just consider spending more time with them priceless, if that makes u feel better for paying more tuition. OOP students do get home sick easily, esp when all u see is snow.

U of M requires 1K for deposit. Please remember, whichever school u decide, tell the other schools that u r not going. My fd at ubc said last yr 3 ppl didn't show up and they only have a class of 37 ppl instead of 40. It's just wrong to waste spots like that. Yes, u get nth back for telling them u r not going, but it makes such a big difference for ppl on waiting list.

Hm,, bbq, I thought the reason for having 37 students last year was because they ran out of people from the waiting list not because 3people did not show up.

If it was the case where 3 people decided not to notify, wouldn't they contact people next on the waiting list?

Hm,, bbq, I thought the reason for having 37 students last year was because they ran out of people from the waiting list not because 3people did not show up.

If it was the case where 3 people decided not to notify, wouldn't they contact people next on the waiting list?

I only heard it from my fd there. Adversary probably knows better. I was under the impression that 3 ppl didn't show up. and by late aug, most ppl on the waiting list already made alternate plans and really that's last minute notice. the 3 spots weren't filled. if they ran out of ppl on the waiting list, i would be very surprised. coz they interviewed 100 ppl, about 20 some odd got rejected after that. that means they still had 80 ppl. 40 got the offer. and still had 40 on the waiting list. Does that mean they made an offer to each of those 80 ppl and 43 ppl turned it down? that would be a big number despite UBC's high tuition fee.....

• 2 weeks later...

I think in rural areas like northern parts of MB, and on reserves. A lot of aboriginal kids have baby bottle syndrome because their parents just give them what they want (juices, candy...etc). There's a lot of dental education needed to be done. Also the lack of fluoride water in the rural area contributes to caries.

But then it's not part of CDA interview.

• 2 months later...
Are they meeting tomorrow for sure??? I was told they won't make any decision till early July? Please, someone tell me otherwise.

I'm 100% sure they are meeting on the 19th, I had to send them additional documents & was told the committee is meeting on the 19th & if they don't have it by then I'm screwed!

When will letters of offer be mailed out for U of M? Monday or Tuesday or am I being too optimistic?

No I think Monday of Tuesday sounds about right. From looking at posts from last year, students were getting letters around June 21st. Then again I don't know when they held the selection meeting last year.

No I think Monday of Tuesday sounds about right. From looking at posts from last year, students were getting letters around June 21st. Then again I don't know when they held the selection meeting last year.

i'm starting to freak out! :(

Archived