<threadtitle>IRELAND 2004...who's goin!!!?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>knifeparty43</username>

<dateline>1087313400</dateline>

<title>IRELAND 2004...who's goin!!!?</title>

<pagetext>Hey y'all,

This board has been slow lately...so i'm just wonderin if anyone out there is still reading this @#%$....

If any of you are going to ireland in octoberl...please post!

I'd love to hear from all of you as we'll all be on the same boat...

when are you guys thinking of leaving?

which school are you going to?

are you bringing any books?

anyone having issues with obtaining loans?

anyone have any worries? (other than "coming back to canada for residency" - there is another thread for that)

anyone excited?

as for me, I'm pretty excited to go so i just wanted to know if anyone else is feelin the same...

I got my spot confirmed and my loan confirmed...so i'm just chillin till then...

:smokin

Guest Baby Dragon

Hi Knifeparty! I'll be going to Dublin in September. I actually just came back from a month vacation there!

To answer all your questions:

I'll be leaving the beginning of September since UCD starts Sept 16 this year with registration the week before.

I'm not sure if I'm bringing any books, I'll be asking my friend who goes to UCC if it's worth it to get any here.

I got a LOC with RBC, since the schools in Ireland are recognized medical students I was able to get the Professional Student LOC for medical students without a co-signer without any real hassles.

I am SUPER excited to get over and finally get this med school thing started!

I hope that answers all your questions. I may have more later myself!

Guest GraduateStud

Hi Guys,

I'm off to UCC in Sept. Bought my airline ticket the other day and got a really good deal from the airline. I leave Sept 12.

As for books, I'm thinking of getting a basic text for Biochem, Phys, and Anatomy.

I'm also trying to arrange a line of credit with RBC but I haven't received my letter stating they received my deposit and thus am officially accepted at UCC (Although they have confirmed receipt of the deposit by email). I was going to wait till the end of June and then give them a call and find out when they would be mailing that letter out. I got my appendix back for my Canada Student Loan though so I've sent that in. It was pretty fast, I got it back within a week of sending it.

I'm really excited about going and I just wish that it was sept already.

I still have a lot to arrange though and buy. I'll be checking this site in case someone has ideas or suggestions.

Guest knifeparty43

Hey dude,

Can I ask you which airline did you buy your ticket with, and where are you leaving from? Is it a direct flight to ireland?

Guest walkorbike

Hi, all,

This comment sounded really funny when I first read it:

I got my appendix back for my Canada Student Loan though so I've sent that in. It was pretty fast, I got it back within a week of sending it.

Best of luck in Ireland, Baby Dragon, knifeparty43 and GraduateStud. I am sure you will have fun. My friend just finished her first year at Cork and she had a great time. She found the Netter's Anatomy flashcards (around $50) very helpful when it came to anatomy revisions.

-walkorbike

Guest GraduateStud

Hey Knifeparty,

I booked my flight with Zoom airlines, they are a Canadian airline that pretty much focuses on Trans atlantic flights from Canada to the UK. One way trip to London cost me $400CDN. A couple of things that might concern you are 1) they don't fly to Heathrow, but instead to Gatwick and or Stanstead. I didn't find that a problem since my flight from London to Cork, Ireland also leaves from Gatwick. I got a bargain on that to. One way from London, Gatwick to Cork Ireland cost me 20GBP, which comes to about $50, the airline is BMI baby. Both of these I booked directly from the airlines websites. The second thing is the baggage allowance its 20kg total (2piece max).

Like I said it may not be ideal for everyone, but I like the low prices and can deal with the other stuff. The great thing about the baggage allowance is that its same for both Zoom and BMI baby. I'll be flying from Vancouver, but Zoom leaves from Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and a couple of other places in Canada. I believe its a non-stop direct flight to London.

Hope that helps. By the way if you are planning on going with Zoom airlines, last time I checked the website they were sold out for August! I encourage you to check out the website (www.flyzoom.com/).

Guest knifeparty43

Hey thanks man,

I'm going to be flying out of vancouver as well.

20kilos eh? that's not a whole lot... but i'll check that out....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flames2oo4

Should be flames2oo5, right? Soon...

I just got my confirmation from RC, so I'm set for October. I get my place on Sept. 30, so I won't leave until right around then. I haven't even looked into the tickets yet, but thanks for the tips guys...I'll check those out.

No trouble with loans...yet. Banks...you just never know ;)

I'm not going to worry about books, or anything academic, until I get there and start orientation. The only thing I'm starting to wonder about is my res situation. I decided to try Mercer Court for the first year...I'm booked in and confirmed. But lately I've heard from friends over there that MC is kind of a soap opera. Who knows? Maybe I'll just keep a low pro for a while. But I'm starting to get more psyched about going everyday. I can't believe it's still another three months...

Guest blinknoodle

hey guys,

i just booked a vacation to Ireland (no medical school there for me) - but I found great deals on round-trip tickets (from Toronto to Ireland) from sunquest.ca (belfast as low as $499+tax, dublin/shannon $549+tax). airtransat.ca also lowered their prices this month. not sure about one-way tickets, but it might be something to check out.

cheers,

-bn

Guest Dmac

Hey walkorbike,

Your friend's first name wouldn't happen to rhyme with Dallandrea, would it? Cause if so, she's a great gal and fun housemate!

Guest csname

I'm going to RCSI this October. sent in my 6000 euros. Also got a place at millin house, which is single rooms, rather than 4 bedroom apartments.

A friend of mine started RCSI last year and he has the best of things to say about the school and the atmosphere. Because you live with your classmates and have the exact same schedule, you really become very close friends. I'm so excited and looking forward to heading there.

As for the books, I might bring some anatomy book with me, maybe Gray's anatomy, but I would advise you guys to put it in your carry-ons, because of the weight limit on the luggage. I'm definitely planning to bring a bag full of canned food to save myself some expense over there.

By the way, do you guys know the specs of the ibook that we're getting. I love ibooks. :rollin

cheers,

Guest walkorbike

Hi, Dmac!

Hmmm....I don't think the rhyme works out unless we are talking experimental verse, so it must be a different person. I am glad you have a lively house environment though. Hope you are enjoying your summer!

-walkorbike

• 1 month later...
Guest mayashi

Hey,

Just got into UCD and I thought I'd say hi to y'all...or do they not say 'y'all' in the Emerald Isle?

Now I remember last year all the admittees from Toronto met up at James Joyce. Have y'all done that already?

Also, I was a bit late with my housing application so I'm looking for anybody at UCD who needs a roomate.

Oh and as per books..I'm going to try and get everything shipped there...thank god for amazon.uk

J

• 1 month later...
Guest wannabdoc

I am not going to Ireland myself for medical school yet but after reading so many of our Canadians are there it wouldn't be such a bad idea to study there. How did you find the medical education there? I am also considering going abroad for medical school. Which schools accept high number of Canadians? What is the age limit if there are any? How did you find out about medical schools there?

My problem is that I have good GPA but low MCAT scores so I am worried about applying to Australia. Does Ireland or UK look at GPA more or MCAT? Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AliatUofT

Hi guys

i have a question regarding admissions to the irish schools

i just got an email from the Atlantic bridge program saying that my application is now complete.

Now from the email i got the sense that only the Royal college interviews their potential candidates.

is that true or am i mistaking?

thanks

Ali

• 2 months later...
Guest bluest blue

Can someone please tell if there are any schools out there that ONLY look at ones high school grades. I have a completed engineering degree and didn't do soo hot... However, I graduated from high school w/ a A avg.

Thanks.

BB

Archived