Premed 101 Forums

U of C interviewed 110 OOP applicants this year - so really, the odds are not bad if you got an interview. Keep in mind that many OOPers who have multiple interviews and acceptances may choose to stay in their home provinces. In previous years, there has been movement on the wait lists as a result.

Good luck!

I think last year, damn near everyOOP who interviewed got an offer at some point. OOPs are usually more competitive and get multiple offers so the waitlist really moves. One OOP in our class got in on the day before school started, he had already accepted at manitoba but chose UC instead.

I think last year, damn near everyOOP who interviewed got an offer at some point. OOPs are usually more competitive and get multiple offers so the waitlist really moves. One OOP in our class got in on the day before school started, he had already accepted at manitoba but chose UC instead.

Does this mean all oop interviewed get on the waitlist?

Does this mean all oop interviewed get on the waitlist?

All 110 applicants are definitely ranked, but I'd be hesitant to say that *all* are waitlisted after the interview process. Many schools do not release their waitlist rankings to applicants, so it's hard to tell how many are actually on any given list. Anyone other Glabers care to comment?

The rumor that was going around last year was that waitlist movement really depends on year too. Some years they go through their entire waitlist, and other years they are agonizingly slow. I don't believe that they actually went through everybody last year though since I recall some people who complained of giving up on waiting at the end of July.

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed this posted on the Calgary Med site:

Cut off scores for invitation to interview at the past MMI were:

Alberta: 71.05 or greater

Non-Albertan: 74.13 or greater

link: http://medicine.ucalgary.ca/undergrad/ume/admissions

How do they calculate that? When I calculated my algorithm score I got 400-something. So how do they calculate 70-something numbers? :S

**edit: never mind: I think its because the algorithm is used to produce the initial rank-ordered list. So I guess the score of 74.13 or greater is our pre-interview weighting percentage after they look at ec's/employment history/personal essay etc. Is this correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Does that mean you don't need to pay the full tuition amount until after classes begin? i.e. you only need to pay a deposit over the summer and if you decide to switch schools at the last minute, you only lose the deposit?

Calgary is one of my first choices. I've reduced it to two first choices, but I'll have to see what actually happens...

I got interviews at three Ontario unis, but one of them I felt really wasn't for me, and the other is my home uni, which I'd like to leave.

Calgary really impressed me at the interview! And my boyfriend wants to go, so bonus!

Calgary is my second choice (my home school is first and I also interviewed there) but purely for location reasons. My family, friends and significant other are all here so I'd prefer to stay. Although I personally think Calgary has a better program! The distance would just be too much for me.

• 6 months later...

Archived