Premed 101 Forums

University of Queensland Medical Applications for 2009 - OPEN

G'day everyone,

I am posting this information for anyone who is interested in applying to the Medical program at the University of Queensland for the January 2009 intake.

If you have any questions about the information provided below and the process itself, please don't hesitate to contact me at any time: matt@oztrekk.com

You may also like to visit: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine/queensland.htm for further information.

*PLEASE NOTE: as the University of Queensland has two methods of applying, via ACER (applications open late May 2008) or directly via OzTREKK (applications are open now). As the University of Queensland uses a direct application process, there is no benefit using the ACER system as you are restricted to applying to a maximum of two (2) Australian medical schools. It is to your advantage to use the direct application method.*

Admission for 2009 intake

- The applications process has OPENED for the 2009 intake. All interested students can now submit their applications to the medical program at the University of Queensland.

- Applications are being assessed by the School of Medicine at the University of Queensland commencing May 1, 2008.

- Applications are assessed on a rolling admissions basis from May 1, 2008. Therefore, the sooner a student applies, the sooner his/her application will be assessed from May 1, 2008. Offers will be granted on a 'first come, first serve basis.' It is advised that students apply now so that their application is data processed and ready to be assessed on May 1, 2008. When you submit your application to OzTREKK, your application is electronically submitted to the University of Queensland within 24 hours. It then queued up so that when the assessment opens on May 1, 2008, your application is assessed accordingly.

- Only complete applications will be assessed. Students must submit a completed University of Queensland International Student Application for Undergraduate Studies Application Form, all post-secondary transcripts and your MCAT results. (To apply, please visit: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine/queensland.htm)

- Applications with all documents are submitted directly to OzTREKK. 85% of the Canadian cohort which commenced Queensland's medical program this past January 2008 applied via OzTREKK.

Entry Criteria for 2009 intake

Three components contribute to selection for admission:

1. Post-secondary GPA Requirement

- Performance in the most recently completed key degree. A key degree is a bachelor’s degree, honours, master’s degree (coursework or research) or a PhD. Applicants must meet a minimum grade point average to be eligible.

- For the 2009 intake, the minimum GPA will be 5.00 (on the 0-7 scale, where 4 is a pass).

- Your GPA is calculated for your most recently completed degree and averaged over the duration of your degree. For example, if your most recent completed degree is a Masters degree, then only the results from your Masters degree will be assessed.

- If students have repeated a subject, then both marks will be calculated into the overall GPA.

2. North American Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Result

- Applicants must meet a minimum level of achievement in the admissions test to be eligible. The minimum scores required for the MCAT, 8/8/8/M.

- If you have completed the MCAT more than once, then your best MCAT results from the same sitting will be assessed.

- No deadline has been set for the final MCAT sitting eligible for assessment. However, students must be aware that only completed applications (including MCAT results) will be assessed. By sitting the MCAT sooner, you are potentially increasing your chances of places being available when your application is complete.

3. Telephone/Personal Conversation

- Applicants who meet the GPA and MCAT requirements will be contacted by the School of Medicine to partake in a conversation.

- A senior academic from the School of Medicine will make contact with the applicant via telephone or in-person in Canada.

- No traditional interview questions will be asked. The aim of the conversation will be to get to know the applicant and confirm his/her eligibility to commence the program.

- Applicants have the opportunity to ask questions of the senior academic member during the conversation.

Number of Places in the Program for 2009

- Total number of places - 400

- Total number of Australian domestic funded places - 275

- Total number of Australian full-fee paying places - 25

- Total number of international full-fee paying places - 100

Annual Tuition Fee for International Students Commencing in 2009

- The 2009 tuition fee is $43,600 AUD per year

- Please note that the above tuition may increase by 3%-5% for each year of the program.

Application Fee

There is $0 AUD application fee to apply to the University of Queensland through OzTREKK. The University of Queensland does have a $100 AUD application fee, however, if you apply through OzTREKK, then the University of Queensland waives the application fee.

How to Apply

Students who wish to apply to the Graduate Entry Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery program at the University of Queensland do so using one of the following three methods:

1. Apply Online: http://www.oztrekk.com/UQMBBSOnline.htm

2. Download University of Queensland School of Medicine Paper Application form: http://www.oztrekk.com/Regos/UQMBBS2009.pdf

3. Request a University of Queensland, School of Medicine Information and Application Package: matt@oztrekk.com

Contact Details

If you have any questions regarding the University of Queensland's medical program or the application process, please don't hesitate to contact the official University of Queensland representative in North America:

Matt Miernik, Director & Medical School Admissions Officer, OzTREKK educational services, Canada

E-mail: matt@oztrekk.com

Phone: 1 866 698 7355 (Toll free)

Website: http://www.oztrekk.com/programs/medicine/queensland.htm

Once again, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time.

Cheers,

Matt

(OzTREKK educational services has been appointed by the University of Queensland since 2004 to be the official representative)

I've noticed that the online application form doesn't have a visa section, while the printout application form does. Are we supposed to send in our visa information separately? Or is this because Oztrekk is directed towards canadians, so our visa info is assumed?

G'day Masaki,

Yes, there is a difference between the online form and the paper form. Actually, you can leave the visa section question blank as it does not affect your application in any way.

If you have any questions or problems with the application, just let me know at any time.

Hope you are well.

Cheers,

Matt

Just wondering how the Queenstown medical program compares to the Canadian System? I know there is a lot of work involved in coming back to Canada after.... but is it concidered a good education none the less? I have applied because it all soudned great to me... but what do I know really! I am probably just blinded by the idea of studying in Australia for four years! Anythoughts???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm contemplating the same issues.

Coming back to Canada for residency is very hard, though not impossible, as is going to the US.

Staying in Austrailia is a viable option but it is becoming harder to compete for registrar (equivalent of specialty resident position) in Austrailia, since even spaces and resources for Austrailian citizens are lacking at the moment. Hopefully by the time we grad (if you decide to go the Aussie route) there will be more spaces created by the gov't to remedy the shortage, but don't hold your breath.

Hm...seems like an uphill battle, but either way be well informed before going. It's easy to be blinded by an easier entry and 4 years of study in Austrailia, but think about the debt and possibility of being in career limbo if you end up in an unfavourable situation.

Archived