Premed 101 Forums

Application timeline

I plan to write the MCAT on July 10 (gives me 10 weeks to study). Score release is ~Aug 12.

If I have all of my application complete except my MCAT score...will my application only be initially looked at on August 12th? Will I then have to wait about a month to receive (most of) my secondaries?

I'm worried that the huge effort I plan in putting into my US applications will be futile because I am too late. My other options: write June 13 MCAT with only a little over a month to be able to study (but full time, not doing anything else)...or wait until next year for the US?

Suggestions? Thanks. :o

I would prefer to write it in June so my application is earlier but I am still concerned that 5 weeks might not be enough to study. How long do most science students study for the MCAT?

Also, if score release is in mid-July, will I only receive secondaries in mid-August?

Thanks!

I would prefer to write it in June so my application is earlier but I am still concerned that 5 weeks might not be enough to study. How long do most science students study for the MCAT?

Also, if score release is in mid-July, will I only receive secondaries in mid-August?

Thanks!

For most schools, once you submit your primary the secondaries will start to trickle into your Inbox. Once AMCAS has verified your primary application, the secondaries will flood your Inbox. This happens even before your MCAT scores are out.

Secondary prompts are usually posted on SDN, so you can begin working on them before they actually get into your Inbox, if you really want to get cracking.

If you write the MCAT in July, your score comes out in August, meaning that at the soonest, the school will have your file complete (MCAT, GPA, transcript, LORs, 1ary, 2ndary) in August. ALL scores are automatically sent to the schools-- you do nothing.

August completion is not really considered dangerously late, so if you can aim for this schedule and still score well on the MCAT, you should be fine.

Archived