Premed 101 Forums

UBC Waitlist movement!!!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe someone said before on here that there's a different form for UBC students.

When and where do we get our CPR certification?

dont we get it after completing a 2-week course at ubc? part of the curriculum.. not sure..

Adversary will let us know :)

Do we have to send in our final transcripts at the end of the semester? It didn't say anything about a "conditional" acceptance in my email...so I'm assuming no?

I am not 100% sure, but if it didn't say anything, I guess it is unconditional.

Because mine did not say anything so I called Jackie and asked if there is certain gpa I have to maintain.

She told me that since I've completed all the pre-req, the school will not be looking my grade again.

And just to double check I asked her if I could fail courses and still get in and she said I could but asked me to try my best until the end.

I am not 100% sure, but if it didn't say anything, I guess it is unconditional.

Because mine did not say anything so I called Jackie and asked if there is certain gpa I have to maintain.

She told me that since I've completed all the pre-req, the school will not be looking my grade again.

And just to double check I asked her if I could fail courses and still get in and she said I could but asked me to try my best until the end.

You're absolutely right. I emailed Stephanie and she told me the exact same thing. She told me i dont even have to send my transcripts in at the end of the year. i can withdraw from all courses right now! but i wont of course. i want to get my degree :)

Where can we get more information about the program (like classes and such) online?...things that the current dental students can see...not too much on the website. Do I need to register into a certain account or something?? Is there a calendar or something?

I tried logging into my.ubc.ca (not really sure what it's for...) but I don't have the SSC password.

Where can we get more information about the program (like classes and such) online?...things that the current dental students can see...not too much on the website. Do I need to register into a certain account or something?? Is there a calendar or something?

I tried logging into my.ubc.ca (not really sure what it's for...) but I don't have the SSC password.

I can't remember exactly since it was some years ago, but I remember having difficulties setting up this cwl thingy.

And when I log into my account, I don't see any dental stuff. It seems like it is still the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the waitlist movement will be different this year. They interviewed more people and accepted 10 people over what they can actually accomodate (40). In the past the Waitlist hauled ass starting early July. With the new style, I'd expect it would start moving later or even move less. Gl peeps. I've been where you are! Man it sucks...

Hi everybody,

I don't know if this is the right thread to be discussing this in,

but I just received my admission package for UoA, and I was also accepted at UBC and had paid the $10,200 non-refundable deposit. Since UBC is DMD, I personally have a preference for UoA (DDS), but the deposit that I've paid somewhat evens that out ,so I'll probably be attending UBC.

I was wondering if anybody has information that would convince me to do otherwise.

Does anybody know if we're allowed to sell our spots or not? Is that even legal?

I'll also post this in a separate thread in case this is the wrong thread for this,

thanks.

Hahaha.....sell your spot??? lol....yes, and make sure to give that person your ID and your name and make sure you look exactly alike.

NOOOO....you can't sell your spot. You lose the deposit if you go somewhere else and then some lucky person off the waitlist gets to put their own deposit down to the school. I have heard that you can contact the school about getting a receipt that can be used as a "donation" to the school for student scholarships, which you can in turn use for tax deductions. Something to look into. I'm not sure how expensive it is to go to school and live at UofA but that would definitely be something to look at. You may just end up saving a lot of money by staying in Alberta. I'm not sure where you are from, but maybe you have family in one of the two provinces, which may sway where you might want to live for the next 4 years. Also remember at UBC the first two years you are mainly in med courses, not sure what it's like at UofA. Just some things to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
Hahaha.....sell your spot??? lol....yes, and make sure to give that person your ID and your name and make sure you look exactly alike.

NOOOO....you can't sell your spot. You lose the deposit if you go somewhere else and then some lucky person off the waitlist gets to put their own deposit down to the school. I have heard that you can contact the school about getting a receipt that can be used as a "donation" to the school for student scholarships, which you can in turn use for tax deductions. Something to look into. I'm not sure how expensive it is to go to school and live at UofA but that would definitely be something to look at. You may just end up saving a lot of money by staying in Alberta. I'm not sure where you are from, but maybe you have family in one of the two provinces, which may sway where you might want to live for the next 4 years. Also remember at UBC the first two years you are mainly in med courses, not sure what it's like at UofA. Just some things to think about.

not sell as in give them my spot. but something more like "give me the 11 k so that I give up my spot, and attend the other school." It might be useful to the people on top of the waitlist.

I don't even know if we're allowed to do that...

any ideas?

not sell as in give them my spot. but something more like "give me the 11 k so that I give up my spot, and attend the other school." It might be useful to the people on top of the waitlist.

I don't even know if we're allowed to do that...

any ideas?

oh dear old dandoon. you are still stuck on those 11k. forget about 11k. figure out which school is best for you and go there. 11k is not the end of life given the fact that you'll make a lot of dough in the near future. money comes and goes. cheer up buddy and enjoy rest of the summer. :)

Archived