Premed 101 Forums

Australia

Guest UofA man

Guest UofA man

I got accepted to Flinders University a few weeks ago :rollin :rollin :rollin ...I am about 95% sure I will go, the only thing holding me back is my job. I don't really enjoy the profession I am in, but the money is sure worth it....

I have been looking closely at the possibility of coming back to Canada for residencies and realize that the situation right now means the U.S. is the best option. Has anybody heard if there is going to be any changes in the option for Canadian IMG's in the future. I know Canadian's that are studying in the U.S. are now able to enter the first iteration and that Alberta has expanded its AIMG program to some primary care specialties. Is this just the beginning of more radical changes? Also

what happens after you do residency in the U.S. are you able to apply for fellowships in Canada? Does any one know of anyone who is doing this.

For anyone currently at Flinders, where is a good place to live? Is it better to stay in the university housing or find a place off campus.

all input would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dave2003

Hey UofA man,

I just got word that I have an interview to Flinders on July 20. How was your interview?

Thanks

DAVE

Guest UofA man

The interview was really relaxed. We first got a 1 hour informal presentation about the Flinders, followed by interview. We were given a senario, which was to judge how we would fair in the PBL style curriculum, then were asked the basic questions....why do we want to be a doctor ect.

Who is going to interview you. Dr. Edwards was the one that came here last time...where is your interview going to be held. He came to Canada for the May interviews which is the first time I believe they came to Canada.

Where are you from?

Good luck with the interview, hope to see you in Feb.

Guest Dave2003

Hey UofA thanks for responding.

I am interviewing in Toronto with Dr. Edwards on the 20th of July (I live just outside toronto). I take it you were part of the "early decision program"?? How long after you interviewed did you find you that you had been accepted? can you clarify at all about the PBL scenario that you were given? Have you decided that you are going to flinders for sure? Sorry, I know - lots of questions :)

Thanks again for responding.

Guest UofA man

I was notified 3 weeks after the interview by an email, and will be accepting...I gave my 5 1/2 month notice at work so there is no turning back. We have until mid august to send our deposit so you should hear slioghtly after that I would believe.

As for the scenario you are given a situation and asked to come up with a number of hypothesis to explain why this may be occuring. You present these possibilities and then you are given more info and then revise your hypothesis...don't worry about, it is much more laid back then the interviews you have here.

Hope that helps

Guest c4rd14c

Is this correct about Flinders requiring a deposit in August? If that is so then doesn't that mean they are playing a little aggressive in terms of their admissions process? The other schools don't hold interviews until August or Sept so by the time you get into one of them you would have already been required to pay a deposit to Flinders. Is this right?

Guest UofA man

Well I applied for the early descsion program and got an early acceptance, so I only think its fair that I confirm my acceptance so they know how many people they need to accept in the regular cycle.

Guest UofA man

I only applied to Flinders because my MCAT scores were greater than 4 years old, and I didn't want to sit through that exam again

Guest c4rd14c

Has anyone physically been to see Adelaide/Flinders? If so how would you describe the campus? (Their website has few pics).

I've heard that the school is actually located north of the city. Is the transit system good enough to live near the coast and still make it into class? Anyone know?

Guest c4rd14c

Sorry for the delay.. Yes I am interviewing for Flinders. I've been trying to find information about the school and Adelaide in general. You can't even download decent pictures of the campus off of their website. Would be nice to hear more impressions of people from north america regarding Adelaide and the school in general.

Guest Dave2003

Where are you interviewing?

Have you found out how many interviews they are holding for international students for how many spots?

• 1 month later...
Guest redshifteffect

The city of churches as its known....

I have personally visited adelaide but the university while I travelled around aus. It's not the best city here but its fairly big and I doubt you will have much trouble getting around.

Couple of things to point out in terms of the "best" post grad unis here you would be best to go to Uni of Syd or Brisbane. I haven't heard a lot of good things about Flinders.

Also I'm sure all of you want to go back to North America but it's always best to keep ur options open. If there is a post grad uni in Southern Aus ie. Perth you would have a really good chance of getting ur internship there as they really need international students there.

Finally since all of you have already done a degree, it would be in your best interests to apply for a permenant residence. That way you will be elligible to get local fees and HECS which essentially means the government will pay for you to study at UNi, and you only have to pay them back when you graduate IF you work in Australia (2% of your salary/annum)....finally you will also be elligible for youth allowance, which can give u upto $400 per forthnight.

Anyway honestly even if it means wait an extra year to start school applying for this is your best option, as it essentially means you can study for free.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest redshifteffect

I've heard a couple of things about returning to Canada

Most ppl. seem to think that if you already hold your specialty from another western country it will be much easier to return to Canada.

In that regard if you have your training from Australia, UK, Ireland or South Africa you can get into provinces like Manitoba or Newfoundland and they will give you conditional licenses. The condition is that you have to pass the MCCEE MCCQQ1 and MCCQQ2 and any specialty board exams...

After spending a couple years there you will be able to meet the requirements of Ontario, because you will have a full license from one of the above provinces.

With a condtional license you have upto 5 years to pass the above exams.

Another point is that if you do training in family med in the US it's length is recognized by most provinces so you should be able to return (again providing you pass the exams) but for residencies like internal med you may be out of luck.

Guest jackts

Hey Redshift,

thanks for all the posts so far. I've really enjoyed reading them.

What you said about becoming an australian PR then pay local fee sounds really appealing. However, I read somewhere that you cannot do this. If you are accepted as an international student, then you can't jump boat midway through. If anyone wants to go into a different pool of students, then the person needs to reapply.

care to clarify this point?

thanks.

jack

Guest redshifteffect

Jackts,

That is true. Most schools will tend to discourage this, especially the post graduate schools. They know that if all of you started applying for your PR (since all of you have degrees) then you would be almost guaranteed to get it. This would then defeat the purpose - why let in international students if they're not going to pay.

However once you get your PR, you are an aussie and you can apply to any med school. You aren't limited to only the one you came through - ie post grad ones. In fact you are probably likely to get into an undergrad uni as compared to the post grad one you came through.

This being said the closer the ties you keep with your admin office and your dean the greater the chance you have of continuing on at your school. If you hear of anyone dropping out or anyone failing your chances of getting a "local" spot are increased.

I think that once you get a PR even if you do have to do the couple extra years at an undergrad school it may be well worth it. This way you avoid the hassle of having to apply for one later, and you get to pay local fees while you're there.

Either way if you don't want to risk losing your spot now and you are happy to pay int. fees maximize your chances of getting the PR after you graduate.

Guest redshifteffect

Having a NZ PR does not void your international student status....You are still considered an international student, but it does allow you to be able to stay in New Zealand after you graduate and allow you to do internship there.

After two years in NZ you can apply for a citizenship and then get an Australian PR very easily.

Archived