Premed 101 Forums

A student's meager plea for advice.

Hello all, I am very glad to be a part of this forum as it answers a lot of questions and concerns many aspiring dentists (such as myself) have. If you have a bit of time, I just want to describe my current situation to you as best as I can. Of course, I would greatly appreciate any advice offered (harsh or not). There's no point in lying about grades or whys & why nots so I will be perfectly honest here:

I am a transfer student from U of T now currently at YorkU in Toronto. Two reasons for that: 1) pathetic grades and 2) brother entering 1st-year at university so transportation means would become an enormous problem. I was at U of T for 3 years and these are my grades (bear with me now):

1st year - annual gpa - 1.96

2nd year - annual gpa - 2.45

3rd year - annual gpa - 3.12

Cumulative gpa = 2.46

^ This was doing a double major in zoology & human biology. Also note that my first 2 years with not full-course load years (I took another full course the subsequent summer for both years). I decided, albeit late, that if my grades weren't outstanding in third year, I would switch out (if it was possible) and so, here I am now, currently finishing my 1st year at York in a B.Sc of Kinesiology. The transition has been very different. The tests are easier, but I am studying more efficiently & have a better sense of mind here than I ever did at U of T. I think the change in scenery has helped me a great deal (sort of like a fresh start although obviously not). By the end of my degree (next year) my gpa for the two years will be around a 3.7-3.9. I'd like to know, do I have a shot at getting into dental school at all? Do dental schools look at if your grades have increased over the years?

Now, in terms of dental school, it has always been a dream of mine to become a dentist. All throughout my undergrad. and even high school, I would tell myself "I just want to become a dentist, why do I need to study all this nonsense if all I want to do is help people with their teeth?" Unfortunately, this thinking simply does not work out in the real world. Is it possible to still pursue a career in dentistry without getting into a university DDS program?

A final question is whether it is really necessary to have a full year of organic chemistry or not. I have a 1/2 year at U of T and unfortunately, at York they only offer a full year Organic Chem course. I pretty much meet (or will meet) all the other standard pre-reqs (English, Biochem, Physical Chem, Physics, Anatomy, etc.). I'd like to know if it is really necessary to take this because my summer will be absolute torture if I have to take this Orgo course (along with all the other summer courses I am taking as well).

If you've read thus far, I thank you for hearing me out. Again, I will humbly appreciate any kind of help or advice you can give me.

- Ben

Hello all, I am very glad to be a part of this forum as it answers a lot of questions and concerns many aspiring dentists (such as myself) have. If you have a bit of time, I just want to describe my current situation to you as best as I can. Of course, I would greatly appreciate any advice offered (harsh or not). There's no point in lying about grades or whys & why nots so I will be perfectly honest here:

I am a transfer student from U of T now currently at YorkU in Toronto. Two reasons for that: 1) pathetic grades and 2) brother entering 1st-year at university so transportation means would become an enormous problem. I was at U of T for 3 years and these are my grades (bear with me now):

1st year - annual gpa - 1.96

2nd year - annual gpa - 2.45

3rd year - annual gpa - 3.12

Cumulative gpa = 2.46

^ This was doing a double major in zoology & human biology. Also note that my first 2 years with not full-course load years (I took another full course the subsequent summer for both years). I decided, albeit late, that if my grades weren't outstanding in third year, I would switch out (if it was possible) and so, here I am now, currently finishing my 1st year at York in a B.Sc of Kinesiology. The transition has been very different. The tests are easier, but I am studying more efficiently & have a better sense of mind here than I ever did at U of T. I think the change in scenery has helped me a great deal (sort of like a fresh start although obviously not). By the end of my degree (next year) my gpa for the two years will be around a 3.7-3.9. I'd like to know, do I have a shot at getting into dental school at all? Do dental schools look at if your grades have increased over the years?

Now, in terms of dental school, it has always been a dream of mine to become a dentist. All throughout my undergrad. and even high school, I would tell myself "I just want to become a dentist, why do I need to study all this nonsense if all I want to do is help people with their teeth?" Unfortunately, this thinking simply does not work out in the real world. Is it possible to still pursue a career in dentistry without getting into a university DDS program?

A final question is whether it is really necessary to have a full year of organic chemistry or not. I have a 1/2 year at U of T and unfortunately, at York they only offer a full year Organic Chem course. I pretty much meet (or will meet) all the other standard pre-reqs (English, Biochem, Physical Chem, Physics, Anatomy, etc.). I'd like to know if it is really necessary to take this because my summer will be absolute torture if I have to take this Orgo course (along with all the other summer courses I am taking as well).

If you've read thus far, I thank you for hearing me out. Again, I will humbly appreciate any kind of help or advice you can give me.

- Ben

I don't have an answer to your OChem requirement question.

Have a plan B in case dentistry doesnt work out (optometry, MBA, MSc, PhD, pharmacy, etc..)

I think university of western ontario looks at best two years. so you could be in good shape assuming that u will do well at York U for next two or three years.

After finishing you BSc from York U, hopefully your GPA would be good enough for US Dental schools. so apply to US dental schools if you are willing to move.

few things to think about in next two to three years:

-Write both Canadian and US DAT in the near future and do well on both of them.

-Write any other exams necessary for a back up plan?

-Plan out Pre-reqs (you will have to check the website for each school)?

-Have extra-curricular activities that interest you to make you a well rounded applicant for future application cycles; work experience or research work also helps. US Dental Schools look at overall package. Thus, it is important to be well-rounded.

- Will two years at YorkU be sufficient to bring up your cumulative GPA?

The only way you will know if you can/will get into dental school down the road is by sending you application. so please do try!!

You have started a new life at york and sounds like you have made a good start. keep up the good work!

i wish you success.

good luck.

If you want to help people with their teeth but don't want to/can't do a DDS, then you can become a Dental Hygienist or a Certified Dental Assistant. If it is true that all you want to do is "help people with their teeth" these two options may be better for you.

I think given the current demand in Western Canada for hygienists, it would be a good career choice. I advised one of my friends to choose hygiene over pharmacy and since graduating this year, she hasn't regret it. Minimum salary in BC is $45/hour while in Alberta it is $55/hour. A number of hygienists I know do not work full time because of the financial benefits of this career.

Hygiene is taught at a number of colleges, etc and will allow you to avoid university though some do go through a university. In addition, it isn't as competitive as a DDS/DMD program and will take you about 2 years to complete.

If you find scaling/root planing boring after a while, you can complete your masters in hygiene and move onto teaching, etc. My doctor, patient, and society course coordinator, albeit an idiot, was a hygienist with a Phd. He has since moved onto working with the Faculty of Medicine. Finally, you can go back and teach hygiene students or dental students (scaling/root planing at UBC was taught by a hygienist).

If you really want a career as a dentist, you can also consider schools outside of North America including Australia, Europe. Students from those countries apply to Dental school right out of highschool so given that you completed your degree, you will have some advantage.

Archived