Premed 101 Forums

MMI stations that dont count..?

I've heard about how they sometimes put in stations that dont actually count..but they're trying to see how you'd do at them to design things for future years.. is that true? is that from within the 12 stations? and do they do that every year?

I just had my MMI and can tell you that that is certainly not the case. There are 6 categories of station x 2 stations per category (to increase reliability). There is one additional "rest" station that doesn't count, but it involves sitting on a couch, drinking water/going to the bathroom, and chatting with your med student guides if you wish to do so.

There is a separate study you can agree to participate in which is not marked (it's anonymous and aims to help them correlate people's MMI scores with their success once they get into med school if they are accepted) and takes place afterward.

I just had my MMI and can tell you that that is certainly not the case. There are 6 categories of station x 2 stations per category (to increase reliability). There is one additional "rest" station that doesn't count, but it involves sitting on a couch, drinking water/going to the bathroom, and chatting with your med student guides if you wish to do so.

There is a separate study you can agree to participate in which is not marked (it's anonymous and aims to help them correlate people's MMI scores with their success once they get into med school if they are accepted) and takes place afterward.

I don't believe there were any test stations this year that the applicants were made aware of... however, they did have such stations in the past years.

As for the research study... it has nothing to do with the MMI and doesn't have any affect on the admissions process, but is certainly not anonymous! In fact, your OMSAS ID is used to identify the research participant, so the tin-foil hat wearing types may want to defer (or participate and hope they will take you to further their research from your med school performance:D )

So does that mean that I can wear jeans and a t-shirt to this research study? I actually have to jet off to a concert right after the session and don't want to dress up if I don't really have to. I'm hoping that they just send us into individual cubicles so we can do our own thing on the computer for an hour or so without having someone judging our physical nuances or our attire during the session.

So does that mean that I can wear jeans and a t-shirt to this research study? I actually have to jet off to a concert right after the session and don't want to dress up if I don't really have to. I'm hoping that they just send us into individual cubicles so we can do our own thing on the computer for an hour or so without having someone judging our physical nuances or our attire during the session.

You can wear what you want - no one is marking your attire :). You go in, sign your life away, do your thing independently, get your compensation and then head out.

As for the research study... it has nothing to do with the MMI and doesn't have any affect on the admissions process, but is certainly not anonymous! In fact, your OMSAS ID is used to identify the research participant, so the tin-foil hat wearing types may want to defer (or participate and hope they will take you to further their research from your med school performance:D )

Of course, I didn't mean that it's anonymous. I meant to say that the MMI/admissions people never know that you did it. They only find out once you've been admitted.

Archived