Premed 101 Forums

Curriculum questions

I have a couple of quick questions about the curriculum - just to satisfy my curiosity really. :)

Does anyone know whether the whole Med Skills program (e.g. Ethics, Culture/Health/Wellness, etc.) is in the tiny groups of 5, or is that just for clinical correlations and communication? Also, are the small group sessions basically the same as the PBL and CBL that Ontario schools use? I know the groups are a little larger (I think it said 15-20 somewhere?), but other than that they sounded fairly similar. I was a bit surprised that only a quarter of the instruction is in small groups - that doesn't seem like very much time. Thanks for any input!

Yup, we have small groups of 5 for Communications and Clinical Core. We have groups of about 14 for PBL learning, and a different group of 14 for Physicianship, Ethics and Global Health. It's a bit confusing at the beginning ("which small group are we in today??!"), but it's a great way to get to know your classmates. :)

We learn from predissected prosections that are tied to whichever unit we are learning. It's vastly different from more traditional anatomy classes where a dissection class runs throughout the year but most of the time is spent cutting off fat to get to the anatomical structures you're interested in. Studies have shown that students get similar marks on exams regardless of which teaching method they've gone through. That being said, there are extracurricular dissection small groups that you can sign up for and learn to dissect cadavers more traditionally.

Archived