Premed 101 Forums

First AID/CPR

Guest bigbuffblackboy

Guest bigbuffblackboy

Do the med schools look for this too? Is it essential/recommended to have updated and recent training for First AID and CPR?

Thanks

Guest summervirus

I think it varies from school to school; some ask that students take the course before starting year 1. At the UofA (where I did med school), the school arranges for students to do it before clerkship in year 3.

Guest Melisende

When you start medical school, you need to have a valid First AID and CPR certificate. The registration package you get will explain exactly what you need. You do not need to have those certificates in order to gain acceptance into medical school.

Guest leviathan

They want it after you're accepted, but most places aren't going to care if you are applying with a 2 day course in first aid. Although it is just good to have that knowledge for yourself in general, so I would recommend taking it.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Just took mine for UofC. I like the idea of doing it before starting regardless of what the school requires. Frankly, I would feel a little nervous having people know I was a med student and not knowing basic first-aid. I'd sure feel stupid if someone had a heart attack next to me and I didn't know what to do. Of Course a refresher before clerkship when you might actually start using it would be nice too.

BTW, I took standard FA (CPR + other general injury). The instructor was happy that I was not just doing CPR. She said she had a long practicing doctor who took her course once and was amazed when he finally learned all the tricks with triangular bandages on major wounds and such. He told her he'd always wondered how they managed to do that before they were brought to the hospital - apparently bleeding that took 2 bandages for a first aider to stop, took him about $200 worth of gauze to deal with. Good stuff for anyone to know in any case, whether you get into med or not.

Guest leviathan

The problem with Standard First Aid is that you aren't tested on your practical knowledge, so it is almost all forgotten within months from taking the course unless you are using it in some form on a constant basis (eg. practicing). If you have the time, I would recommend taking a one or even two week course such as the Medical First Responder, or Occupational First Aid Level2/3 depending on what is available in your province. You'll end up forgetting the more detailed stuff (eg, how do I correctly secure the tubular gauze after applying to a finger lac?), but the basics of ABCs are drilled into your head for 40-80 hours and so that will stick with you for a long time.

Archived