Premed 101 Forums

UK Medical Schools

Guest j100

Hey Everyone,

I have been noticing on this international forum that most people mention applying to Irish, Australian and Caribbean medical schools. Are there any people out there that have applied to English schools? I have applied, and would like to know if there are any fellow applicants out there? :D

Cheers,

J.

Guest mcgillsweetie

Yes, I also have applied to UK schools for admission for September 2003. I have been invited for interviews at the University of Southampton and Barts and the London, rejected from nottingham and king's college.

Is anyone familiar with the interview process in England (i.e. is it a "stress" interview, is it focused on bioethics, etc?)8o

Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm also considering applying to UK med schools..:D do you guys mind putting up your stats? (i,e, gpa, MCATs) and any info you have with regards to how they treat Canadian students? Good luck with your interviews!!

Hey McGillsweetie,

I have already been over to my interview in the UK. Prior to leaving for my interview I had no idea what to expect and thought the worst (I knew what a N. American interview was like). However, I thought carefully about the typical questions regarding why medicine, why me, and some of the big ethical questions in medicine today. The whole interview process was a refreshing change from the 'typical' North American interview. They make you feel so much at ease, want to see why you want medicine, and see what sort of person you are like.

While waiting to be called all of us candidates chatted among ourselves and encourage each other. Then to finish it all off we all went for a pint at the campus bar after!

Your interviews may be different than mine, but at least this was how it was for me. While there was definitely nervousness in the air everyone was so pleasant and great to chat to. :)

Good-luck!!

J.

Guest mcgillsweetie

Thanks j100 for the encouragement. My interview is this Wednesday, and you have helped to put me at ease!

By the way, at what school did you interview at?

I interviewed at The Leicester-Warwick Medical school. It is quite a new school. I applied here because it offers a graduate entry program, which is what I want. I also applied to Burmingham (also a graduate entry) but wasn't offerred an interview, but found out after applying that they only have 30 spots!:\

I found out I was accepted at Leicester-Warwick so I am really excited :D . They let you know really soon after the interview if you are accepted or rejected.

Best of luck at your interviews. Let me know how they go. You must be leaving soon?

J.

Guest sporter1992

hey j100,

Can you tell us what sort of stats you need to have in order to apply to LW? Do you need an mcat? What sort of GPA?...

thanks.

Guest Badkarma25

Hey there,

I looked into LW, among other schools. None of the UK schools require the MCAT, and I THINK LW said the GPA requirement was upwards of 3.5,3.6 but j100 will fill you in on that for sure.

Hey Sporster,

To be honest I don't know if there is an exact cut-off, and if there is I am not sure what it is. They do mention having a minimum upper second class honors degree in biological sciences (which is their grading scale). I do know that you MUST have a degree in biological sciences and they asked me to outline what I had taken in my University courses in the areas of Cell Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology. I have a 4-year degree and a Masters degree so they were very interested in all my courses. Badkarma is probably right around the 3.5-3.6 mark, however, their application process seems to cover so much more.

There are about three stages to the application process :\ . One stage involves filling in a lengthy form with answers to many personal questions, and scenarios - very much like McMaster does. I get the feeling from the who process at the school that they are looking for people not only with a good biological science background but also with experiences in life.

Hope this helps, if you need/want more info let me know.

Oh yes, you also asked about the MCAT. No, I do not think you need it - although I have written it.

J.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mymomthinksimacatch

I applied to England. I targeted 4 of the schools with 4 year programs. Interviewed with Warwick, but rejected. Nothing from the others. The interview was 25 minutes, moderately intense (challenging questions, but not antagonistic). 2 member panel. Warwick looks pretty extensively at your non-academic qualifications. Cost: ~$25,000 for the first year, ~$45,000 for the other three. This will vary with school, and is an approximation.

All the best.

• 3 months later...
Guest ReanaUK

Hello,

I am applying to the UK for 2004. This all very new to me. Iam excited and nervous. I have been doing so much research on each school but I still feel lost. I have a BSc.H in Biochem/Biotech (70%) and a Masters in Cellular Medicine (86% grad in December). I am worried about my undergrad grades. Do you think I have a chance academically. My extracurricular actives are pretty good. I'm only concerned about my undergrad grades. Any advice on which schools I should apply too. I just want to get in! :(

Thanks

Reana

Archived