Premed 101 Forums

Anybody taken Prep 101?

Fade2Black

I came across their program and I am seriously considering it as an alternate to TPR and Kaplan. I haven't spoken to anyone who has taken the program, so Im hoping there are some people here who can give me some feedback.

It's cheaper price (still not cheap per se, at $1295) and flexible class schedule are what appeal to me most... What I'm really considered about is the quality. :confused:

BTW here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.prep101.com/mcat/comprehensive_toronto.php

I came across their program and I am seriously considering it as an alternate to TPR and Kaplan. I haven't spoken to anyone who has taken the program, so Im hoping there are some people here who can give me some feedback.

It's cheaper price (still not cheap per se, at $1295) and flexible class schedule are what appeal to me most... What I'm really considered about is the quality. :confused:

BTW here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.prep101.com/mcat/comprehensive_toronto.php

Courses are useless IMO. The only good thing about them is that you get thousands questions with like 11 practice exams. These people don't seem to offer that. Kaplan is the way to go.

I am strongly against Prep101 mostly for how they handle their Undergraduate courses. I can only speak from my experiences at UWO, but there have been a number of issues with them including

Unqualified instructors (I know of a few personally who shouldn't have been teaching based on their own comprehension of course material)

Plagiarism of professors notes. Using course material without the permission of the instructor.

Teaching WRONG information. That one I only know of as limited to the 2nd year Organic Chemistry courses at Western, but there was an issue with material being taught incorrectly in the Prep101 sessions that caused problems with several questions on the mid-term exam.

Maybe their MCAT-prep course is considerably better, and I am sure that for some people the courses are actually useful, but based on the experiences I have seen at Western, I wouldn't go near them, especially when paying $1300 for someone to tell me how to read a book.

Good to hear that guys. Thanks for the heads up. I was really thinking that these instructors were definitely qualified, with their bio's and evaluations all posted online. But if one of their programs is like this, then it speaks for the rest of em too.

I would say that one isn't representative of the rest.... but in the case of the MCAT.... if one is weak that could ruin the rest of your test no matter how good the rest of them are....

So it sounds like one should be weary but does anyone else have any experience with this company??

Personally I think that you shouldn't rely on the classes so much. Next summer I plan to take a class and write the MCAT, but I only plan to use it like how one would use Audio Osmosis. The real work that gets you the grade comes from the hours you spend studying outside. These courses in my opinion provide strategy and help you to put everything together (not to mention giving you a reason to get up and study- you know :P ).

From everyone I know, most took the course for structure. Its easier to keep studying if you have guidance. I personally took the course because I needed someone to push me, I didn't know anything about the MCAT or what was on it, and I wanted access to all the old tests etc. But seeing as how Kaplan is now 1800, I don't think I would go for it, I'm still mad about 1300- I can't believe the prices went up!

And as for ALL of the courses, I think you will find there are bad teachers everywhere, the only qualifications most of them have are that they did well on the MCAT and are done (or near done) their degrees. That really doesn't say much about intelligence tho, you can do well on the MCAT and be a terrible instructor...

Archived