Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letter Timing

Im not too familiar with how the LOR process works. There's a prof who taught me this semester, and I think I can get a good academic LOR from him. I just have the course exam left at the end of April.

Any advice on when and how I should approach him?...Im not sure if you have to wait until you're actually sending out applications, to get a dated LOR :confused:

For OMSAS, they have to mail in their LOR along with the confidential assessment forms (CAF) - every new application requires you to get them to fill out a new CAF.

As for timing, I think you should ask the referee first to see how available they are. If they are willing and have time (and this is really important, because you don't want an unhappy or rushed referee), give them at least a 2 month window before the deadlines (so August is a good time if you're going for OMSAS). Some might be busy during the summer, so it might be beneficial to let them know even earlier.

How to approach?

Tell them that you have been thinking about a career choice and that you have come to the conclusion that medicine is the best choice for you. (Have good reasons on hand.) Then, discuss the need for reference letters and that you think that the potential referee could write a strong statement about your academic abilities. Ask the potential referee if (s)he would be kind enough to write a letter of reference for you.

After that - if the answer is yes - inquire as to what the referee would like you to provide (personal statement, resume, list of points that you'd like them to mention, stamped envelopes, etc.) for them to comfortably write the letter.

If you're going to do this, I hope that your potential referee knows you beyond just your grades on paper. If they have nothing to comment about your personality, it's usually going to be a pretty weak letter. If anything, try to get a research position over the summer with a prof that you've studied under - that way they would get to know you well enough to comment about your character.

Im doing research this summer, but it is with a Dr with whom i have not done coursework (she teaches at UofT and I go to Mac). My academic letter is coming from a Political Science prof I've had this past semester. We've talked for extended periods several times after class about the US election etc. I'm still debating on whether this is enough for him to credibly comment on my character and personality...

Should I inform him now that I would like an ROP for the future?...I'm unsure.

Archived