Premed 101 Forums

Canadians @ London (UK) Medical Schools

Guest JaneUK

Guest Diana

Dear Jane,

Thanks once more for your detailed and always thoughtful replies. Your information has been invaluable in my decision-making process and your advice has really meant a lot to me. I have been accepted for Sept 2003 entry into the MBBS/F programme (I have to reply by July 1), but am still trying to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of the overall programme. I'm 18 and decided to apply to UK med schools because I don't want to wait 3-4 years to get into a Canadian or American one...I guess it's as simple as that. I really love the biological sciences and I've always considered medicine to fulfill my need of pursuing both a science and an art. About King's, I think it's an excellent programme, but I still fear that I may not learn as well if it involves PBL to a great degree. I guess I'm looking for a more classic education in medicine with separate pre-clinical and clinical years, with a lot of focus on the study of the sciences. I agree with that a lot of students tend to go the memorization route and let it all slip away in a few years. This is a pity, but with me, I think I learn better when the material is presented to me in full. Anyways, I wish you much happiness in the upcoming years and luck in all your studies and beyond. Thanks for helping me out.

-Diana

Guest JaneUK

Hi Diana,

I hope that I didn't mislead you with the PBL talk. GKT IS a traditional med school. The teaching methods include small group teaching, practical classes, clinical demonstrations, traditional lectures and problem solving. There is also computer/information technology training. The first two years are pre-clinical and the remaining three years are clinical (but there are still lectures and symposia). If you are really concerned about the GKT curriculum, try calling Dr. Stolkin or Dr. Gahan.

I can appreciate that it is a very difficult decision and the expense only adds to the pressure.

What other schools are you considering (if any)?

Jane

Guest mttxn12

--------------------------------------------

If you are really concerned about the GKT curriculum, try calling Dr. Stolkin or Dr. Gahan.

--------------------------------------------

Dr. Stolkin was a good teacher.

He loved to grill us in Neuro lab.

Guest JaneUK

Hi Mttxn12,

So are you Canadian? Are you still at GKT? What are you doing now - are you considering residency in Canada?

Any tips for survival at GKT?

Cheers, Jane

Guest mttxn12
So are you Canadian?

Nope. American.

Are you still at GKT?

I'm with the St Chris program. I just finished my studies at King's College.

What are you doing now - are you considering residency in Canada?

I'm a couple semesters from clinicals. Next term I'll be training in clinics in Luton and then I'll be doing preclinicals at Ealing Hospital. I'm considering doing some clinicals in the UK before I'm off to the US.

Any tips for survival at GKT?

Study hard. GKT's class sizes are large and competitive. We get special training from King's faculty and have small private sessions. Their system is more oral and essay based compared to the MCQ system. I enjoyed my anatomy and neuro classes there. Their facilities are nice too.

Best wishes to you.

Guest Tartuffe

Hello JaneUK,

I have a question for you regarding admission at GKT and Saint George. Maybe you can help me ;)

I have a Eu citizenship and I have completed a French Engineering program in a "grande école" in Paris. (I do not even how french always have to do things in a different way than the rest of the world).. Anyway, I also completed a master in Canada, I am now trying to attend med school in Canada but here it seems that they have trouble to assess my EU studies...and with no undergrad gpa things get tricky.

As I have few hope of being accepted in Mac or Ottawa U... I am thinking now of doing it in england or Ireland (i will also apply in Quebec med school since they seem able to assess my EU undergrad). Could you please to explain me how I should process? Also, as you have some experience, I wonder if you would be able to tell me what are my chances to get a spot.

My stat:

French Science-Engineering school-Escpi (paris)

Master in canada - A average - dean's list

In france, I received a 70 000euro allowance for academic perf during my 5 years of studies.

I also received a scholarship that included the payment of my Master's tuition and a stipen.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Guest JaneUK

mttxn12,

Thank you very much for the advice. Good luck in all your endeavours.

Cheers, Jane

Tartuffe,

Sorry, but I don't think that I have the information you are looking for....might want to try posting on StudentDoctor.net or valuemd forums.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Clipper

It is good to hear that so many Canadian are interested in going to the UK to study medicine. I myself am a Canadian and just finished first year at Cambridge. If anyone has questions on the applications, I'll be glad to help.

Guest hringrose

I'd be very interested in learning more about Cambridge. I am most interested in the application process, requirements, acceptance rates for Canadians, fees, and financial aid.

Thanks

Guest Safrican

>: From looking at their website, Cambridge and Oxford have a new standardised test called the BMAT (?similar to the MCAT) in order to apply to these schools. Did you have to take it Clipper? Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Safrican

>:

Guest Clipper

Hi hringrose and safrican

The application process to Cambridge is the same as applying to any other medical school in the UK. All applications are processed through UCAS (similar to OMSAS in Ontario) Here is the website: http://www.ucas.com

You will also have to contact one of the colleges of Cambridge so they can send you the application specific for Cambridge medicine. When you are applying to Cambridge, you have to apply to a specific college of Cambridge and not the university as a whole. Each college has its own admission committee and work independently of the other colleges. I know it is a little strange and different to other universities, but that is just the way they do things here.

I am assuming you already have a degree from Canada, so please correct me if I am wrong coz the following will not apply to you if you are not already a graduate. As graduates, there are only 4 colleges that admit graduate students to study medicine. These colleges are: Hughs Hall, Wolfson College, Lucy Cavendish (women only) and St Edmunds. You should take a look at the websites of these colleges to figure out which one suits you the most.

As you have already heard, Cambridge has its own admission test. Back when I wrote the test, it was called the MVAT. I understand it is now called the BMAT. I am not sure how the BMAT differs from the MVAT. When I wrote the MVAT, the questions were somewhat similar to MCAT questions. They mainly tested your reasoning and your ability to apply simple scientific concepts. Check out the Cambridge website for more info on this test. They should have a sample of the test available so you know what to expect. I know they had a previous years test on the website when I was applying.

As to the requirements of Cambridge, it is difficult to say what they are looking for from a North American applicant. They don’t have official cut-offs like how the Ontario medical schools have. Since the British education system is different from Canada and also the fact that they admit students right out of high school you will be judged differently. From what I know of the other graduate students in my class, they all had 1st class degrees from their undergrad universities.

I know Cambridge has not really had that many applicants for medicine coming from Canada. So I am not really sure about the acceptance rates of Canadians. However, there are 3 other Canadians in my class. Two of them did their undergrad and postgrad degrees here in the UK and myself and the other student are graduates of U of T.

The bad thing about coming here for medicine is that fees are expensive. It is probably at par with a private university in the US. The preclinical years are around £13000 per year and the clinical years are around £22000 per year. However, there is some financial aid. The two main ones are the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust and the Gates Cambridge Trust. I know that if you can impress the Gates people enough, you may even get a free ride!

Hope this all helps…and good luck

Guest ReanaUK

Hello Everyone,

I have so many questions I don't know were to begin. I guess I could start writing a little about my sitiuation:

I am a Canadian Student desperately wanting to get into Medical School. I am applying to the UK for 2004. I have finished a degree in Biochem/Biotech. Didn't do very well. Just made a final average of 70%. I decided to do a Masters in Cellular Medicine and I will be graduating with an A average. I have alot of extra curricular activities (11 years) so I'm not to worried about that. My concern are my gradesfrom my BSc.H. Any advice on my chances. Also I am not too sure about the differences between each Medical school and since I can only apply to 4 could you recommended which schools I may have a better chance at. I would like to study in and around London. But honestly any medical school will do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Reana:D

Guest Safrican

Thanks for the info Clipper....much appreciated! May I ask what kind of grades/experiences you had prior to applying? Do you enjoy living in the Cambridge environment? Also, are there minimum requirements to get in the BMAT before you're considered? It sounds like a different world from which you would certainly learn alot. I hope you're having fun....

Safrican

Guest ReanaUK

Hi Jane,

I am applying to the UK for 2004. I really need some advice on a bunch of questions on the application process, which school is best to apply to and the requirements for a Canadian. If you could email me I would really aprreciate it.

Thanks

Reana

reana72000@yahoo.com

Guest ReanaUK

Hello Clipper,

I too am Canadian and will be applying for 2004 in the UK. Could you tell me if its a little easier to get into medical school in the UK. In Canada I got a 70% in my undergrad Biochem/Biotech and an A in my Masters in Cellular Medicine. Canadian schools don't even look at my masters until I have a decent undergrad grade. Is the UK similar? Do you think I would have a chance. Also, if you have any pointers for the application process I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Reana

Guest Clipper

Hi Safrican

Yeah I’m having a great time here in Cambridge. Even though I have never worked this hard in my life, I really did enjoy this past year. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in the university societies and college sports. Plus there is always something happening somewhere in any day of the week. So it is quite easy to get distracted away from all the work we have (good thing and a bad thing). Medical school isn’t all work and no play as many people think. Actually, there was quite a lot of time to just take it easy.

I’m not really sure about the BMAT. I’m guessing they use it as a tool to eliminate the mass numbers of applications. I really haven’t heard of how they use this test, so I can’t really comment. But I do know that they use this test on the admitted students to see if the marks they get on the BMAT are reflective of the grades they get in medical school.

As to my stats before applying, I was a graduate of University of Toronto in human biology. I had a GPA (OMSAS): 3.8, 1 year of research experience with a NSERC research fellowship (but no publications), the usual volunteer experience in hospitals, and 1 summer worth of experience as a MCAT teacher for Princeton. Although I did write the MCAT, Cambridge didn’t bother asking the grades.

If there is anything else let me know

Clipper

Guest Ian Wong

Just a quick suggestion guys. :) If you are going to set up a discussion about Cambridge, consider starting up a new thread entitled "Info about Medicine at Cambridge", or something like that.

In the future, if someone is just quickly skimming through the forum looking for information on Cambridge, it'll be a lot easier to find that information. You might also flag more interest from people who might be able to contribute their point of view, but didn't, because they skipped over this thread. :)

Thanks for all your insight Clipper!

Ian

Guest Clipper

Hey ReanaUK

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Firstly, don’t get disheartened by your undergraduate grades. You have done well in your masters so I think you will have a good shot. Many medical schools have started to realize that a lot of students who previously had no interest in medicine or who did not have the grades in high school but did well in university are applying to medicine. I guess they see such applicant as having a genuine desire to enter medicine and better equipped to make that decision than some one out of high school. As a result they will be quite receptive to you.

It is difficult to say if it is easier or harder to get in compared to Canada. The education system and application process in the UK is different so it can work for you or against you. I think it really depends on the applicant. For example, I know a few students in Canada who were absolutely brilliant with stellar GPAs, good extra curriculars, good LORs and who would make good doctors being rejected just because they weren’t able to make the grade in a section of the MCAT. Because UK schools don’t require the MCAT, the system may work in favour of these students. However, there are many schools here that have their own admission test.

At the same time, Britain has a strict quota as to the number of international medical students they accept. As a result many medical school websites do warn international applicants that they will be competing for a fewer number of spots from a larger applicant pool than the British applicants have to. Having said that, you shouldn’t get disappointed either. You really don’t know until you actually apply. After all I did get in and so many other students as well.

Traditionally, most Canadians and Americans who apply to this part of the world go for Ireland. I am not sure why they choose Ireland over UK. It was rumoured in the SDN forum that UK schools favour international applicants from third world countries because students from such countries may not have the opportunity or access to good medical training in their own country where as in North America, this is not the case. I really don’t know if this is true. Although most of the international students in my class are from third world countries, it may be because the schools receive many more applications from the third world.

There are many universities now offering graduate medical programs. I think these programs will be the best choice for you. Oxford, Warwick, Leicester, Nottingham, Bristol, and Sheffield are just to name a few. I think all of these accept international students to their graduate medical programs but make sure you check before you apply. I almost applied to the grad program at Newcastle. I checked all over their website to see if they accepted international students and no where did they say they didn’t. They even sent me a brochure all the way to Canada for the grad program. Only when I called them and asked specifically about international students did they tell me that they didn’t accept internationals to the grad program! You can only apply to 4 medical schools on the UCAS form so make sure each one counts. Also surf around this forum and also SDN to get an idea where people are applying. If I recall, there were some old threds with people talking about applying to UK.

Good luck to you…let me know if there is anything else you would like to know

Clipper

Archived