Premed 101 Forums

2003 Rejection/Acceptance - Irish Medical Schools

Guest RAPIDPULSE

Guest RAPIDPULSE

Dear fellow Pre-Meds;

I am using this new post in order to hear from all of you who have applied to an Irish Medical School, for 2003's admission.

Please exchange your information re; What schools you have applied to, and if so far you have been accepted or rejected.

I myself have applied to University College Dublin [uCD], and Trinity College.

March is almost close to an end, no news yet...

I am keeping faith in the old adage; No news is a good news.

Edited the subject to get rid of the all-caps. -Ian

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Badkarma25

I've applied to UCD, TCD, UCC, and RCSI...heard nothing yet, but was told by AB that I wouldn't likely hear until April or May. I hope it's sooner as I hate waiting. Did not pay extra to have my answers couriered to me. That would be a real kick in the pants to have rejection(s) sent to me EXTRA fast. Peace out, and happy St. Patty's day to everyone.

Guest tappety tap

That subject made my heart jump! Anyways, I applied to UCD, Trinity and RCS. My mcat wasn't great (27R) and my gpa is roughly 3.7

Guest sporter1992

Wow I didn't realize that its already mar17. We should be getting some news in the next 2 weeks! I applied to UCD, UCC, TCD and RSCI. Has anyone given some serious thought to how you would rank these 4 schools? Mine is:

(1) TCD

(2) UCD

(3) UCC

(4) RSCI (last, unfortunately because of its small size and higher cost)

Best of luck to everyone. Lets hope the fedex guys brings some good news to us all.

Guest M0ses

Applied to :

UCD

Trin

UCC

RCSI

Haven't heard anything :). Kind of surprising since applicants last year heard back in early Feb.

-Andrew

Guest M0ses

Hmm...funny i posted that today - anyhow I went to the front door of my apartment just now and there was a FedEx notice saying they missed me - looks like I might know something tomorrow.

Everyone else keep their heads up - could be sending out notices!

Guest RAPIDPULSE

ayee yayee ya moses... haha.

they only send ACCEPTANCE by courier... so if you are not expecting anything else to be delivered, its your irish med school acceptance my friend... GOODLUCK!!!

btw, whereabouts are you moses?

to your last comment, i hear ya... last year by mid march - 80% of the potential candidates for admission knew their fate.

well, keep 'em coming guys - hope its a good news for everyone. [long shot, but no harm in well wishes]

Guest M0ses

Are you sure they only send acceptances by courier? I can't remember what it said on the application when I gave my cc#. Anyhow, I hope you're right. I called FedEx and they say it was from "Atlantic Bridge" in Cali.

To answer your question Rapid, I'm living in London, Ontario and currently in my last year at UWO (Bsc Hons).

Well, I will be sure to post the results tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes! Much appreciated, and good luck to you.

- Andrew

Guest M0ses

4 year Bio (hons) degree <upon completion this year>

3 year GPA = 3.36

MCAT = 11 (verbal) , 9 (bio), 8 (phys), P

If there's anything else you would like to know don't hesitate to ask.

Guest newbee

Hello Andrew:

I appreciate the information. Actually I do have a few things to ask you if you don't mind.

I'm going to assume that you always wanted to go to medschool and although I've tried to get answers from others on this board, most seem to be in a different stratosphere. How hard is it to achieve the marks necessary to go to medschool. I'll assume you gave it your all and ended up with a really good GPA but short of what the medschools look for. I think there are a ton of people that fall into this category (almost but just can't quite cross the hurdle.) The advice from alot of the keeners on the board is just try harder or study harder anything's possible, yet these people also speak of GPA's hovering around 3.8-4.00 range. One person even said, My GPA wasn't great it was only a 3.7ish. I think these people are a little out of touch with the common folk here on earth. I think they were probably the kids who skipped grades and were always assigned to the gifted class. My question to you is what strategies worked or didn't work when it came to studying ( strategies for us everyday folks)

Secondly have you heard of success stories from people who did venture off to Ireland? Were they able to land residencies in the US? How hard was it?

How will you pay for the schooling? Are loans readily available?

Sorry for the questions assault. If it's too much of a bother I totally understand ;)

In any case good luck on your acceptance. I hope things work out for the best. BTW did you apply to Mac?

Cheers

Newbee:p

Guest M0ses

Hey Newbee,

No worries about the questions, I'm more than happy to answer them.

1. How hard is it to get the marks?

- well, they take in each class when they calculate GPA, so a 3.7 = 80% but a 79% = 3.3 (remember not total avg. but individual class avg.)

- with that in mind, you have to really push for the 80% in EACH class

- my first year total avg. was 70% (that destroyed my GPA), every year after was above 80% (but in 2nd year I had some 90's with some high 70's - a worse trade off than just 80's...unfortunate but that's how it goes)

- why the low first year gpa? I was young, didn't know what I wanted to do, and also played a varsity sport and did a lot of ... social activities (ie. drinking). I don't regret what I did in first year (there is more to getting an education than just studying), but it sure has made things tougher.

- now with that in mind, I know a lot of ppl who studied ALL the time (3-4 hours a week night, 6-7 on weekends), and hence they got the >3.7 GPA. There is a direct correlation with studying and marks (in my humble opinion)

- so to answer your question, how to get the marks? Well to be safe - study all the time. To be less safe, aim for 80% but don't fall under it (riskier, but probably more fun).

2. What strategies worked with studying?

- I always had lots of roommates who played on the rugby team with me so we partied way too much. That's a bad strategy unless you're really strong (hence, choose appropriate roommates). I also suggest you make a time-table and follow it pretty strictly - that way you make room for other stuff. E.g. Make each school day at least an 8 hour day (hence if you're at class from 9am-5pm, don't bother studying). But if you're at class 9am-2pm one day, then finish it off with some studying until 5pm.

3. Success stories

- I know a peds. neurosurgeon who went to trinity, came back 4 years ago to Canada and is working in T.O.

- Other than that I don't know personally any other ppl., but from what I've heard from 2 students that are at UCD tell me getting a residency is a lot easier in the USA. However, it all depends on what you're going for. I know that if you go Family Medicine and are willing to work in an undermanned area, it's a lot easier. Keep in mind you will be graduating quite a few years from now and IMG's are being looked at more favourably as time passes.

4. How will you pay for the schooling?

- Well, from the initial papers Atlantic Bridge sent me, it seems you can get (with a co-signer) a loan that covers all your expenses but without a co-signer you can only get around 100k (this is off the top of my head mind you).

5. How readily available are the loans?

- seems pretty available, but I won't know until I actually try to get them

6. Did I apply to Mac - yes and was waitlisted then rejected ... before the interview! never knew they did that

I think that is everything, if some stuff doesn't make sense or is wrong plz point it out - it's 4:30am here and I'm pretty exhausted.

Cheers,

Andrew

Guest newbee

Good Morning Andrew, Sorry you stayed up too late |I

I really appreciate the great answer. I'm just curious as to why you didn't apply to Western (looks at only your best year and then your last-need 3.7 in those two years) or Queens (looks at last two years needs 3.55)? Perhaps these schools may give you an excellent shot.

I really appreciate the thorough answer, it sounds like you've really made a big turnaround in terms of your academics. Are you considering any other careers at this point (ie pharmacy, Physiotherapy ,Law etc.) or are you heading to Ireland once that acceptance letter rolls in?

I'm curious as to the career plans of your rugby roomates. Did you all make the turnaround at the same time and are you all focused on heading to medschool. I can really understand that who you live with plays a huge factor in one's focus and concentration on school (and one's consumption of Bacardi and other assorted hooch).

Anyways thanks again Andrew. I hope you kick ass whatever you do. I appreciate all of your input :)

Have a great day

Newbee :P

Guest Badkarma25

hi everyone,

it sounds like the answers are starting to roll in...a guy from buffalo on the SDN message board got his acceptance from UCD yesterday (monday). one thing i wnat clarified though; they don't send ALL acceptances by courier...i didn't pay the extra (didn't want to jinx myself)...now i probably won't hear anything until next week...grrr...anyway i'm glad someone else in ontario got a response...i'm just up the 401 from moses so hopefully i'll hear soon! hang in there everyone, the waiting will be over soon!

Guest M0ses

Looks like you guys were right ! I got my acceptance at 9:30am here. A nice big package from Atlantic Bridge program. I hope you all get your acceptances soon.

If anyone has any questions, I'll be near the computer for the next couple of hours, reading all the documents.

Letter is dated March 21st.

Good luck. Sincerely,

Andrew

Guest M0ses

Hey Newbee,

I did apply to UWO but was rejected b/c I didn't have a Q on my essay portion (min. requirements). They cut a lot of people who don't meet GPA or MCAT right away. It's an easy method to reduce the numbers. In retrospect, I should have applied to Queens...if I would do it again I most certainly would. T.O. was another school that I missed the min. requiremenst b/c of MCAT - believe you needed all 9's min.

I'm not really considering other careers at this point. Ofcourse if I hadn't been accepted I would have had to do something else. I had planned on doing grad school and getting my masters. I had an offer in the pathology department. If I was going to do something though, it would have been dentistry. Incidently there are 6 year programs that gets you a DDS and MD. But I'm not sure if I would have done that, just a little tidbit of info for you.

My rugby roommates - well 2 of them are twins and brilliant - so they only needed to study the absolute BARE min. This led me to believe I only needed to study when they did....took me a while to figure that one out. Hard to study when they aren't (we were in the same program). They are now both in dentistry at UWO. In fact one of them teaches the MCAT for fun... My other roommates - 1 in Physio, the other received an ACS (think that's it) degree and now works in T.O. So did they all make a turn-around? Well, probably not - they just did the same thing they were always doing...I just needed to pick up the slack b/c I had the most ambitious requirements to meet. They all did what they had to do to get by. That is key.

Again Newbee - no problem for the input - these are questions I wish I had asked a while ago...

- Andrew

Guest Badkarma25

hey moses,

i hope hte mail comes here soon, but i didn't select the courier option so who knows...when do you have to send in your deposit to hold your place? when do classes start in the fall? ummmm...what else...let's see...is there any indication of when other offers might be sent out? ok that was a stupid question, it's obvious that i'm grasping at straws...if you have msn, add me to your contact list, badkarma_25@hotmail.com

Guest RAPIDPULSE

Hey moses... Congratulations a ton.

well, alongwith my best wishes... you are among my foes now, i am envious! hehe.

lets see when the deliver the other ones.

just out of curiosity; do you think the 'rejections' are sent out first or 'acceptances' ... if that even correlates... I am not sure... is it?

keep them coming guys, moses' was pretty uplifting [yeah yeah]

Guest RAPIDPULSE

oh one more thing. it appears as if there is a confusion in the board whether the acceptance/rejections are both sent via courier.

only 'acceptances' are sent via courier... not the rejections.

:) hope it helps.

Guest M0ses

Hey Rapid,

I really can't tell you - but I do know that there is a waiting-list and it will move according to the ppl. who don't accept the offer in time or reject it. With that in mind, I know some ppl got offers to UCD last year in Feb. and others in April (3 month difference). So, if you don't hear anything...good news could be on the way!!!

-Andrew

Guest avaid

hey guys,

Congrads Moses. i hope we all will be getting our letters of acceptance soon. by the way where did u get accepted to. i am soo scared im just sitting here and waiting i just acting real stupid.

good luck to everybody out there hopefully everybody has good news on the way

later

Guest RAPIDPULSE

Thanks Andrew [M0ses]... Lets see what the god's of fate hold in store for us.

so in your opinion, if i haven't heard anything; it could be a good sign? :D

btw, you don't seem very stoked about your acceptance! ;) emmm, i mean, you can put your spot on sale if needs be. haha... j/k.

on a serious note now, are you up for it now andrew? when and how much have the asked to deposit, monetarily?

Archived