Premed 101 Forums

2003 Rejection/Acceptance - Irish Medical Schools

Guest RAPIDPULSE

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Badkarma25

you got mail on Easter Monday? or was it via Fedex??

congrats by the way....i've heard great things about Cork...cheaper to live, lots of fun, great people, and the school has a good rep.

Guest sporter1992

hey,

1) probably will accept UCC, but still waiting to hear from some other schools in canada

2) fedex for sure

still trying to register that I'm going to med school. strange feeling...

Guest RAPIDPULSE

congratulations to everyone who got accepted recently - my best wishes with you throughout your journey of becoming an MD.

out of curiosity; has anyone applied to University of Galway? for medicine ofcourse.

godspeed...

-stay in touch guys.

Hey all,

Just got my last rejection from UofT, and considering going international...anyone know if UK, Irish schools are still accepting applications? Much appreciated, and congratulations! Your all GOING to be DOCTORS! :D

Guest RAPIDPULSE

hi DMacLach, thats what i heard from AB.

they [galway] sure take a lifetime. i was thinking, aren't they the same admission's committee as the UCD?

phew, its not very pleasant waiting for it... hope it turns out to be ok. i dont think they have sent even ONE rejection/acceptance so far.

whereabouts are you from DMacLach? i am from mississauga, canada.

and the rest of my stats are roaming around somewhere in the above few posts.

stay in touch w/. any news you might get.

Guest DMacLach

Hey Rapidpulse, I'm not sure about the admissions committee. I applied at the very last minute (March 31st), so I guess one month isn't very long. I'm from Cape Breton and finishing up my last year at Acadia. Have you been in touch with Mr. Keenan lately? I haven't received my acceptance in the mail yet; I found out because I emailed AB yesterday. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some good news soon!! Let us know!

Hey Dmac,

I suppose you could try but I wouldn't waste anytime getting on it now. I know last year when I was in Dublin I talked with some people at the various schools and they said I could probably still apply but that they wouldn't hold your breath (that was early April last year). However, I wasn't ready to apply last year so I didn't bother following through. Regarding the UK schools, I know that they are in clearing right now which means people who haven't matched up to a program are eligible to choose different programs/schools. Knowing how many N. American students many of the UK schools take I think you would probably be too late - some of the schools had interviews starting in late December. You could call up a school or two directly if you are still intersted but I know most of the schools I am sure have made most of their decisions - especially for a competitive program like medicine. :\

By no means am I an expert, so there is no harm calling up a couple of places....

Good-luck,

J.

As I side note, I would just like to say that I have been thoughly impressed with the Irish schools. :D Mr. Keenan at Atlantic Bridge has been so helpful, fast to reply, and polite. So if anyone has any doubts about their application rest assurred that if you need to talk to him that he will be helpful - at least that is what I have found....

J.

Guest Badkarma25

Hi all,

Just got my rejection from trinity today...dated april 10, post-marked april 14th from california...i'm in ontario canada, GTA...just in case anyone else is waiting! hope you all have better luck than me!

Guest UofA man

Hey badkarma, the best site to look up info is [link=http://www.acer.edu.au/]www.acer.edu.au/[/link] . Play around in there until you find the med application stuff they have a guide for all the 4 year programs. if you apply through ACER you can only have one interview, however a few of the schools have direct applications as well which can increase the number of interviews you can get. They usually offer interviews in North America an this year for the Early desicion program Flinders is doing intervies in Canada as well. You can email the schools directly for more info and some schools are very quick, some responces were given within 30 mins.

I only applied to one school and will interview with them in may. To be competitve you need 3.4-3.5 and MCAT 30. This is what I was told for Flinders at least for the Early desicion program.

The schools are cheaper than Irish and American schools ($30 000 in canadian funds).

Guest tappety tap

J100...

I have also had wonderful experiences communicating with the Atlantic Bridge People and in particualr Peter Nealon. They are so polite and helpful...(and gotta love the accent!) It's quite different from calling a Canadian med school admissions office!!

Guest red bull17

hi everyone

i've applied into galway as well. actually it is my first choice for med schools in ireland as i know loads of people in that med program who LOVE it and they have a small tight knit class. does anyone know of how many North American applications Galway accepts? Good luck to everyone!

Guest RAPIDPULSE

hi redbull, i too have applied to galway - i dont think it gets many northamerican applications, as the school isn't that widely popular among north americans as the trinity and ucd's bunch.

just my own prediction, not very sure!

the other thing i noticed was, that UCD is in the same group as galway. that is to say; they are both National University of Ireland [NUI] - just two different colleges.

due to which i thought that the admission committee for galway would be the same as for the ucd.

... sad thought, since i rcvd. a rejection from ucd - and don't want the same story to repeat with galway.

if anyone have any thoughts regarding this matter, share them please. also, if am wrong with my philosophy up there, pls correct me! ;)

all the best.

Guest sporter1992

I don't know what happened, but my original msg got erased...

anyways, what I said was that all med degrees from ireland are from NUI, including RSCI. At least that's what I heard from AB.

Guest leafs2oo4

Hi folks, quick question: Galway?

After seeing it here I looked it up. Is this another Irish school that Canadians can apply to outside of Atlantic Bridge? I only ask because I've never seen it on the AB website. How come Galway doesn't go through AB as well? Anyways, thanks for the new resource, and good luck to anyone who hasn't goten any admissions news yet!

Guest red bull17

hello

just talked to galway today. the reason AB doesn't deal with it is that there are only 8 spots for North American places. the standard is very high for galway, and i know of 4 neurosurgeon's at Beaumont hosp. who came out of galway and say that the program is EXCELLENT! the other tremendous surgeon's have come out of UCC. the NUI does not mean it is on the same line as UCD nor does it have anything to do with the admissions process. each individual school determines what they are looking for in it's med applicant. Galway also told me that all of the spot's were filled as of the 8th of April and letter's have now been sent out. good luck to all!!!!! i hope we all got a spot at galway!

Guest red bull17

ok i've just talked to the Dean of med for Galway---there are more than 8 spots they have sent out acceptances for 8 spots at the moment. the rest have not been decided, they will be sent out for the first week of may.

Guest cangirl82

hi everyone,

this is not meant to offend anyone or anything of the sort. but i truely hope that all the people applying to ireland are people who want to go and not people who are just applying because they can't get in anywhere else, even though the standard in ireland is just as high.

its just something that has been bothering me lately, as i see that there are people that come on to this post being like "i just got rejected at {insert any canadian med school} and i'm wondering if i can still apply at ireland"

Most people on this post seem very genuine about wanting to go, but i'm sure there are some that are just applying cause they are desperate to get in anywhere.

I just want to let those people know that there are some people like myself who really really badly want to go to ireland for the experience or whatever good reason - for myself, i also have a long term boyfriend there. Yes, that bit makes the process more exciting, but all the more heartbreaking if things don't turn out (for anyone who is doing long distance or who has done it knows how painful it is)

so, i just wanted to say that and i hope that people just take into consideration that some of us have sincere reasons for going and not just to get in somewhere.

good luck in all your future endeavours...

Guest tappety tap

Cangirl...

Canadian medical school is clearly brutally competitive. Most Canadians who want med would OBVIOUSLY choose a Canadian school over an overseas one, because of the cost, proximity to home, and ability to practice in Canada afterwards. But if they can't get into a Canadian school, there is nothing wrong with applying to schools in Ireland, England, Australia or wherever else they please. There is nothing wrong with applying overseas "just to get in somewhere." Medicine is competitive and, often times, that is what has to be done!!!!

So if someone wants med that badly, but can not get into a Canadian school, they are fully justified in getting their education in another country, regardless of how badly they really want to live in that country.

Obviously with a boyfriend there, you have more motivation than most us to live in Ireland but that does not give you the right to put down people who are applying to Irish schools just to get a medical education, even if Ireland is not their first choice!

Archived