Premed 101 Forums

Appropriate etiquette while waiting to hear from Med School

I was just wondering what those of you who haven't yet heard from Dal are doing in the interim. More specifically, what are all you 4th years that have only applied to Dal doing in terms of job search? Is it kosher to accept a job offer only to quit once you get into Dal? Anyone else going through a similar problem period?

My advice: always have at least three back-up plans just in case you don't get in. Usually something that will last preferably one but even two years. So one-year masters programs are sweet. Any job is good, health-related is even better. Be optimistic, but be realistic. There is nothing worse that realizing you have no plans for the upcoming year while you re-apply. In terms of jobs, don't worry, put yourself first - they'll understand.

If I were you I'd start doing a job search. Backups are important and don't stress if you don't find a good job for awhile. There's nothing wrong with serving or working at a temp job for the time being. I accepted a 2 year internship as a clinical trial coordinator that I started in November with them fully knowing that I had applied to medical school and will leave them in August if I get accepted. I would just be honest with your possible employer. Let them know that you applied to medical school and when you will leave if you get accepted. It's true that it might hurt your chances of getting accepted but there is no reason to burn bridges.

My advice: If you are applying for jobs, don't tell them that you plan to leave in a few months if all goes well, especially if it's a full time "real" job. It's only going to hurt your chances of getting it.

As for ethics, people leave employers all the time because they have a better offer. They're used to it.

Besides in more cynical terms, businesses are only about one thing: cash. If screwing you over made them more of it, they would do it in a second. For that reason, I see no reason to feel any loyalty to them either. It's the nature of the new employer-employee relationship. AKA "look out for number one".

Archived