Premed 101 Forums

why can't they end our misery?

What is it about May 15th? Do you think Mac has already figured out whose in and whose not? If so, why don't they end the misery of those who are for sure not going to get in? This waiting is driving me insane:)

haha it seems cruel doesn't it? Only a little while left though, so I guess our best course of action is just to relax, be proud of everything we've accomplished, and hope that the Med School Lords are good to us ;)

Good luck to everyone, be confident!

What is it about May 15th? Do you think Mac has already figured out whose in and whose not? If so, why don't they end the misery of those who are for sure not going to get in? This waiting is driving me insane:)

They have probably figured out everything; however, most medical schools in Canada have an agreement that this is the date that students will find out which schools they have been accepted to. This is to prevent medical schools from rushing their selection process to scoop up the best students before other schools have had a chance to complete their admissions process.

They have probably figured out everything; however, most medical schools in Canada have an agreement that this is the date that students will find out which schools they have been accepted to. This is to prevent medical schools from rushing their selection process to scoop up the best students before other schools have had a chance to complete their admissions process.

That doesn't mean that they couldn't agree on a new, closer date, like May 1st.

I do understand, though, that setting it as the 15th means that they can be sure everyone is finished their winter semester-related work (except for deferred exams). My thesis isn't due until May 5th, and in all honesty, if I heard I was accepted before then, I wouldn't have very much motivation to polish it any further! And of course, if the date was set back to late April, I'm sure there would be a lot of half-assed exam writing from accepted applicants!

Hello,

I agree the waiting generates a lot of anxiety. At least they notify us via email so we won't have to wait around for snail mail, if that were true I'd probably stock the poor mail man/woman everyday! Last year the email came on the morning of the 15th, for accepted, waitlisted and unsuccessful applicants letting you know your status.Going to sleep on the 14th is the hardest!

We've got good chances..... 176 spots and probably another 100 or so waitlisted =276. 500 interviewed thats >1 in 2 chance of getting in and or being waitlisted.

Cheers and Good Luck!

From the booklet:

About 550 applicants were interviewed.

From this pool, 146 interviewees received an offer of admission and decided to attend Mac. 5 interviewees successfully received a deferral. 75 received an offer of admission, but decided there was a school elsewhere with a better "fit".

All in all, 146+5+75 = 226 offers were made in order to fill the class of 2011, meaning the odds of acceptance post-interview were ~41%?

From the booklet:

About 550 applicants were interviewed.

From this pool, 146 interviewees received an offer of admission and decided to attend Mac. 5 interviewees successfully received a deferral. 75 received an offer of admission, but decided there was a school elsewhere with a better "fit".

All in all, 146+5+75 = 226 offers were made in order to fill the class of 2011, meaning the odds of acceptance post-interview were ~41%?

Your math appears correct but just to clarify, it was approximately 41% to fill the class of 2009, not the class of 2011 (which will be determined starting next week). Also, it's hard to say what your chances are because we do not have a clear idea as to how many people will defer or reject their offer. The number of seats has gone up since 2 years ago (now 176), and the number of interviewees has remained the same. So the chances should potentially go up for admission depending again upon the number of people who are deferred or reject their offer of admission.

Honestly, I think that crunching all of these potential numbers is a futile process and a complete waste of time which will only add to anxiety. I like simplistic terms so to me regardless of waitlist or deferrals, at the end of the day my chances of getting in are 50%. Either I'm in, or I'm out. At this point, there isn't much else I can do to aid my chances, so I prefer to see what cards I'm dealt ;) Only 6 more days people...

My bad. I'm not an applicant to Mac. Forgot it's a 3 year program, although the data from the booklet is from the 2006/2007 application cycle, which is LAST year, so it is valid for the class of 2010.

Of course number crunching is futile, but given I'm not even a Mac applicant, I still find these numbers interesting. And you are correct, my money would be that the stats this year will be even friendlier since there has been a moderate increase in spots.

Just to make this even more confusing: I have the suspicion, based on how there's an initial May 15th round of offers and an informal one two weeks later, 95% of the ~%50 of interviees who will ultimately receive an offer of admission will know by around June 1st

Just to make this even more confusing: I have the suspicion, based on how there's an initial May 15th round of offers and an informal one two weeks later, 95% of the ~%50 of interviees who will ultimately receive an offer of admission will know by around June 1st

You're right - now I am confused! What do you mean an "informal offer two weeks later"? I was under the impression that all the offers came out on May 15 - am I missing something?

They're not informal offers. :P The person just meant that since students have two weeks to respond to the offers of admission that go out on May 15, there's another "informal" round of offers (informal as in the date is not published) about two weeks later, when a bunch of people are accepted off waitlists, and then not so many after that.

My bad. I'm not an applicant to Mac. Forgot it's a 3 year program, although the data from the booklet is from the 2006/2007 application cycle, which is LAST year, so it is valid for the class of 2010.

Just one further clarification, actually LAST year was the 2007/08 entry. This is not even listed in the booklet. Also last year there were 162 seats for the class of 2010 and the year before (2006/07 entry that the booklet is quoting) there were 146.

Just one further clarification, actually LAST year was the 2007/08 entry. This is not even listed in the booklet. Also last year there were 162 seats for the class of 2010 and the year before (2006/07 entry that the booklet is quoting) there were 146.

Whoah, I didn't know that! I wonder how many came off the waitlist last year.

Whoah, I didn't know that! I wonder how many came off the waitlist last year.

Ya, I've wondered the same thing. If you contacted McMaster they might be able to divulge this information, I'm not sure. Alternatively, they will definitely be published in the 2009 admissions booklet. But many of us aren't quite ready to look at this booklet just yet :)

Am I correct in believing that we will only get an email if we are accepted to let us know that a package is in the mail? And if we are rejected or wait listed then we have to wait for the snail mail letter? When I spoke with the admissions office that is the impression I got ...

Thanks Beekeeper! I hope that's the way they do it this year but from the wording on the email I received, it doesn't sound like it.

I wish they could just send them out at a specified time as well. I can't imagine waiting until 4:30 pm to get an email - the waiting leading up to May 15th is bad enough! :rolleyes:

you said you were fine when we were talking in the lab earlier H&O!

I'm sure you're not the only one freaking out though. Just take some deep breaths and try to get some sleep.

Pray about it, relax, trust, hope, and all the rest. God has a plan.

you said you were fine when we were talking in the lab earlier H&O!

I'm sure you're not the only one freaking out though. Just take some deep breaths and try to get some sleep.

Pray about it, relax, trust, hope, and all the rest. God has a plan.

I say a lot of things "Macster"/my spiritual mentor. Earlier today I was googling stuff on patterned breathing during labour but it said you need a uterus to exercise it. So breathing is pretty much out of the question for me.

I'll keep praying.

Archived