Premed 101 Forums

*Applying to Carribbean schools

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***10/7/2000 8:04 pm*PST

I honestly don't know of any such people. However, I have a couple people in my Links page who deal in that. Check out John Po's site for Canadians getting into US Med Schools, and Asad Raza's site for Canadians going to the Caribbean.

If you are American, and are looking into US schools, then pretty much all the web-sites on my Links page are relevant.

One thing you will want to check out before doing so, is whether you see yourself practicing in Canada. If you go to the Caribbean, you will be relegated to the second round of the Canadian CaRMS Match, which means that you probably won't get into a specialty. If you go to a US school, you can apply into the NMRP, the US Match, but I don't know about getting into the first round of CaRMS. Check out that site at: http://www.carms.ca

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*jane doe

Date:***10/6/2000 5:49 pm*PST

Has anyone looked into being admitted to US medschools or the off-shore (Caribbean) medschools?

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked into Carribean medical schools and found a website that has quite a lot of accurate information. (www.geocities.com/College...#contents)

It is important to find a med school that will allow you to get back into the U.S. (apparently it is difficult if not impossible to get matched to a Canadian residency program). There are about 6 Carribean schools that are up to standard and the website I mentioned discusses them. I have met students from the U.S. that have gone to Carribean med schools and completed their MD and are now practicing in the States. It is possible and it is a real option if medicine in Canada doesn't work out!!

Guest Ian Wong

I actually have that web-site in my links section, but I just clicked on it, and it doesn't work anymore. I'll update it today so that it DOES work.

What everyone should consider, as far as going international goes, is the amount of debt load, and your ability to practice medicine in the specialty that you want, and in the location that you want. Med school is hard enough as it is, and I'm apparently going to one of the high-end schools in Canada.

I just can't imagine having this same desire to practice medicine if:

- I was paying a heavily-inflated tuition. UBC is $4000 Cdn a year.

- I was so far away that regularly visiting my friends and family became unrealistic.

- The quality of teaching was far below the level of what I'm getting in UBC.

- The inability to do my residency in Canada. After all, training using low-tech hospitals means that you don't get the familiarity with new technology.

- The high likelihood that I wouldn't get the specialty that I wanted.

- The even higher likelihood that I wouldn't get to practise where I wanted, that being somewhere on the west coast of British Columbia.

With all those considerations, I don't know that I'd still want to practise medicine. Knowing what I know now, I personally probably wouldn't apply to a Caribbean school even if it was my only chance at acceptance. I think I would look into other careers, either in healthcare, or not. Medicine has enough hurdles to clear and hoops to jump without adding those extra problems. This is, of course, just my personal opinion, but it's my honest opinion.

Ian

UBC, MS2

• 2 weeks later...

I think that your comment is an honest one Ian. Yes, you have to be willing to say goodbye to practicing in Canada (in all liklihood anyways). However, a few myths that I know first hand that aren't true:

-Caribbean med students (accredited schools) do their clinical rotations in the United States, therefore they are experiencing the same if not better training than in Canada

-Rotations are also completed in England and Ireland-I have observed first hand the quality of education and the International students receive the same training as students from more 'prestigious' schools

-Faculty at schools such as AUC are very much accredited (not just PhD's that are teaching)

All this said, you do have to be willing to relocate to the US and pay a hefty price for the opportunity to pursue a career in medicine. In all honesty I know that I will go anywhere I have to to practice medicine and so it doesn't matter to me. I think that it is ridiculous that intelligent, qualified students have to complete 2 degrees or masters and PhDs to be accepted into Canadian schools. Good luck to all those who have made it though, you are a very worthy group of people with many great talents!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

Here's a link to a fairly extensive web-site about Saba medical school. It includes a large amount of resources about the Caribbean medical schools, and match lists for many of Saba's graduates. However, I don't think the number of matched applicants in those lists is representative of the number of medical students enrolled in each of those years.

www.geocities.com/muha223/index.htm

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 6 months later...
Guest Thewonderer

If you go get to do clinical rotations in the states, then that's a nice option (however that's a big IF because Carribeans do weed out many people). St George's should be a pretty good bet.

And American hospitals in general are higher-tech than Canadian hospitals.

Lastly, visa might be a sticky issue. Americans who go down to the Carribean's can come back to work in the US no problem as residents. But Canadians grads, when matched in the states, need working visa when they continue to work and train as residents in the states. You might be forced to go on J-class visa and have the two-year home residence requirement. But if you are willing to work in very much underserved area in the states, that's probably a high probability that the US government will convert your J into a H1B-class visa (i.e. greencard). For more detail on J1 v.s. H1B see www.international.duke.ed...ml#clstaff

Guest Thewonderer

something cut and pasted from Ross web site... they should know more about US visa situation for Canadians.

"As a Canadian RUSM graduate, will I be allowed to practice or conduct residency?

All questions regarding residency and clerkship placements, as well as, other details regarding our Canadian student population may be addressed to our Clinical Sciences program via email at clinical@rossmed.edu "

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MDCY

I'd like to hear from anyone who interviewed at SGU in Grenada. What did they ask and did you interview in Grenada or else where? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

If you want some information on St. George's University or on general issues with going to med school in the Carribean, I'll see what I can do to help. I got my acceptance letter about 2 weeks after my interview. I start in August 19, 2002.

Cheers!

Guest Ian Wong

Hi MDCY,

Congrats on your acceptance. I ran into an SGU grad this year at the UBC med bookstore who matched into a Surgery residency in New York this year. Not sure if it was a preliminary spot or a categorical spot (prelim spots don't guarantee that you can continue on in Surgery the following year), nor what surgical specialty it was in (probably General Surgery), but it still sounded pretty cool.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest AppleJacks

Ian there's no point to belittle people who graduate from Carib. schools. with subtle insults (prelim spots, probably general surgery)

MDCY I'm sure you will do great and get a great residency, don't listen to Ian's subtle jabs about prelim spots etc, I think the elitism of UBC has warped his otherwise intelligent mind.

Good luck MDCY, enjoy the sun dude

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

There was no intention of being condescending. I don't know much about SGU, but I have a SABA match list from one of the websites I've posted below. When I last looked at it, it seemed as if most surgical matchees were in preliminary spots. As far as I am aware, matching into a surgical subspecialty (ie. Urology, ENT, Categorical Plastics) is impossible for an IMG matching into Canada, and extremely, extremely difficult for an IMG matching into the US, and the vast majority of IMG's who do match into surgery in the US match into General Surgery. General Surgery, of course, serves as the launching pad for all sorts of subspecialties fellowships afterwards.

I'm not trying to be a jerk; this is just what I've observed from reading SDN and browsing some websites. There is no doubt in my mind that getting into certain residencies is going to be more difficult when graduating from an international medical school; I would hope that you would give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not trying to be elitist when I say this; the facts hurts sometimes.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

www.geocities.com/muha223/match2001.htm

Edit: Forgot to include the URL. -Ian

I think ppl should be aware about reading too much when reading posts. The subtleties in speech such intonation, tone, and facial expression are lost. To make such sweeping statements accusing someone of elitism is unjust and unfounded.

seno

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dfenst

That's why emoticons were invented :b

I have been accepted at St. George's for the January 2003 start date. I am a Montreal who was waitlisted this year at McGill and unless they call me tomorrow, I expect that I will not be going there this year :\

If anyone is interested in the interview process, drop me a line on this thread...I'll reply to you. Also, feel free to check out www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/10067 . This is a St. George's forum, much like this one, but there is a moderator there who is more knowledgeable than I on pretty much every aspect of the application process, the life down there, and probably even the post grad stuff. Her name is Steph and she is all over that site.

I odn't know if I'm going there or not, but I'm rewriting my MCATs in case I want to reapply to schools on the continent.

Dan

Well, I just arrived in Grenada on Wednesday, Aug 14 and it's a beautifuly campus with really friendly staff and faculty. We haven't started lectures just yet and the school has given different types of tours to places around the island for the week before school starts. One of today's tour was to an island/beach for snorkeling, food and some drinks. I didn't go but I heard it was really good. I've met lots of Americans down here but I've also met a dozen or so Canadians too-from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto. I met some senior year students. The facilities are state-of-the-art and is really quite good. Anyway, if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

Cheers!

Guest dfenst

Hey MDCY - have fun down there! Is there any way I can get your email address to ask you some questions. I may be coming down there for the January term.

Dan

Guest cradlecrotch

Also, if anyone's interested, I'll be heading out to Ross University on Aug 24. Ross is located on the island of Dominica...I'm from Toronto.

Yup, email me at drcy@hotmail.com but be sure to put in the subject line that's it's info about SGU you want because I tend to delete emails from people I don't recognize. Email me your questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Lectures begin for real tomorrow morning. I just bought my SGU scrubs today for our gross anatomy lab that begins tomorrow. Little things that reminds me I'm in med school now. So you're thinking of coming for the January term? Cool, I've met about a dozen or so Canadians down here. The majority is naturally from the US but there are over 80 different nationalities represented in our classes. We just got introduced to the profs here and they are all very helpful and friendly. Anyway, I'll give you more info when you email me.

Cheers!

Archived