Premed 101 Forums

Apply to American schools now?

Hi guys,

So I've heard that it's best to apply to American schools early... I want to apply to as many schools as possible so that I'm definately in dental school September 2009. These are the schools that I've heard from various forums that are good for Canadians to apply to (let me know if I should add or remove any):

BU

NYU

Tufts

Pittsburgh

Case Western

Columbia

Temple

UPenn

Nova

Detroit Mercy

Michigan

VCU

I have a cumulative average of 84.06, best 2 years of 85.1, cumulative OMSAS GPA of 3.70, best 2 year OMSAS GPA of 3.77.

Canadian DAT of Reading 22, Bio 21, Chem 17, TS 19, PAT 21, Carving 18, AA 20.

So my problem is that I don't have any good references... I basicly have never talked to a prof for more than a 2 second question, and haven't done any job shadowing for a dentist or anything. I have talked to my dentist about dental school and am going to do some job shadowing this summer. In September I'm going to do a 4th year thesis project so I'll definately get to know some profs better by then, so should I wait until September to apply once I've done my shadowing and a prof actually knows who I am? Or should I apply early now with no real references other than the typical "good mark" ones from profs?

Let me know what you think guys! Thanks :)

This is just an idea.. maybe you can shadow for a bit.. and wait until june or july to apply? I heard as long as you get it in by september you have good chances

get ref from your 'good mark' profs, as they definately have known you longer than your thesis prof will get to know you coming september. go to your profs and explain about your career plans and hopefully they will write a good reference.

Use may-june to talk to these profs and give them time to write the reference. At the same time shadow a dentist, so you will be able to include that experience in your application. Sumbit your application in june/july.

This way, your application will be better than if you just submit it coming May. And it will be early also (june/july is early enough? right? - what do you guys think?)

mrsweasley, I'm in a similar situation as you and looking to apply for this upcoming cycle. Like you, I don't know any of my profs very well. A few days ago, I sent out some emails to ask if they would be willing to meet with me to just discuss the idea of a reference letter. About half of them said no they would not because it's their personal policy regarding reference letters. The other half were very happy to meet. Although these probably won't be stellar reference letters, I don't think it will make all that much of a difference in the long run especially for you considering you have really good stats. A lot of people have different opinions on the matter but I think that reference letters are probably one of the last things the admissions people look at after you GPA, DAT, and EC's.

If your goal is to be accepted to schools for sure by 2009, I'd suggest applying as soon as possible. Hopefully this way you can be accepted before December and even interview at some Canadian schools and at least have a backup plan with the American schools you were accepted at.

One thing to note is that you will still need to fulfill the shadowing hour requirements before you apply. Many schools indicate a minimum number of hours they want you to shadow (whether it is required or recommended depends on the school itself). But also, many schools require a letter of reference from a dentist, which you can really only get after having spent enough time in their office.

Ultimately it is up to you, but my thinking is that if you have to wait until you have done the shadowing to meet both the shadowing requirements and to get the letter of reference from the dentist (which from the sounds of your post would be by the end of the summer), then it is not that much longer to wait to get a stronger letter of reference from your thesis prof.

That's just my two cents...:P Good luck!

APPLY ASAP!!!!! you can always put your application in and then have the LOR's sent later. The LOR's do not hold up your application from being sent to schools. If i was you i would complete the whole application and have it sent in...then once you get to know your profs better see if they (at least one) will send a follow-up LOR directly to the schools. That way you will have your application in early and you will have the benefit of a nice little follow up letter in the fall. You need to have your application in by July to really be competitive. I i couldn't submit mine until Aug 1 (i was finishing up a Masters degree...and my technical graduation date was July 31)...for many schools i was being considered a late applicant. I am from the US, but i don't think that makes any difference timing wise.

This is not a direct response to the OP, but I thought I'd mention it.

Applying early and applying broadly are important, but in my opinion, these two aspects are over-hyped.

The best strategy is to apply smartly. This means submitting your applications when you feel you are the best applicant you can be, and are submitting the absolute best reflection of yourself.

If it means waiting another year to get better DAT scores, or taking a few more bird courses to boost GPA, or taking a year off to shadow a dentist and earn an outstanding LOR, DO IT. Do not force your apps onto the AdCom just for the sake of getting things done early.

Applying early and broadly with a sub-par app is a poor strategy, and will waste hundreds of dollars.

Consider the following:

'Applicant A ' applies to 15 schools, and is an overall rating of 8/10 (theoretical, whatever you want that to mean) .

'Applicant B' applies a month earlier than 'A', to 30 schools, and is an overall rating of 6/10.

I'd bet Applicant A has more success.

Then we get into the grey area of the 'how late is late?'.

You avoid all that conjecture and shadyness by taking a year off to polish your app and making it the best it can be, then submitting it on the first day as soon as ADSAS opens. It'll increase your chances for schools you really want to get into.

I realize that this approach might not sit well for some who would rather take the gamble and apply early, hoping to get in without their best app. I prefer to take the time to do things right, then take my shot.

This is not a direct response to the OP, but I thought I'd mention it.

Applying early and applying broadly are important, but in my opinion, these two aspects are over-hyped.

The best strategy is to apply smartly. This means submitting your applications when you feel you are the best applicant you can be, and are submitting the absolute best reflection of yourself.

If it means waiting another year to get better DAT scores, or taking a few more bird courses to boost GPA, or taking a year off to shadow a dentist and earn an outstanding LOR, DO IT. Do not force your apps onto the AdCom just for the sake of getting things done early.

Applying early and broadly with a sub-par app is a poor strategy, and will waste hundreds of dollars.

Consider the following:

'Applicant A ' applies to 15 schools, and is an overall rating of 8/10 (theoretical, whatever you want that to mean) .

'Applicant B' applies a month earlier than 'A', to 30 schools, and is an overall rating of 6/10.

I'd bet Applicant A has more success.

Then we get into the grey area of the 'how late is late?'.

You avoid all that conjecture and shadyness by taking a year off to polish your app and making it the best it can be, then submitting it on the first day as soon as ADSAS opens. It'll increase your chances for schools you really want to get into.

I realize that this approach might not sit well for some who would rather take the gamble and apply early, hoping to get in without their best app. I prefer to take the time to do things right, then take my shot.

the opportunity cost of taking a year off to work on your application is much more than the few hundred dollars of the applicant who applied too early.

Archived