Premed 101 Forums

Not really important, but it fills my time

Hello all.

I'm wondering if anybody knows how the assigned score for GPA calculation works? Is the GPA calculated on a linear scale? Is a cumulative OOP GPA calculated relative to the OOP minimum GPA (3.6) and the IP calculated relative to the IP minimum GPA (3.2)? ie: a OOP student with a 3.6 is given 0 points out of 50, and a student with a 4.0 average gets 50? Or does the scale use a 0.0 GPA for 0 points, and the 4.0 for 50. Is there another scale used? Both of these options seem to have their difficulties. Any insight?

From what I've heard, it's just a general global assessment of what they think of your transcript, not anything as consistent as you're suggesting. There were quite a few threads with people speculating about this a while back, but basically I don't think anyone knows exactly how they calculate the academic score. Sorry I can't satisfy your curiosity!

<conjecture>

It wouldn't make much sense to me to scale it... if OOP GPA was 3.6=0 and 4.0=50 (or IP GPA was 3.2=0 and 4.0=50), that would imply that every 0.008 points in GPA (0.016 for IP) is roughly equivalent to 1% of the pre-interview score, which would make for some wildly varied pre-I scores (and/or would mean that the other sections of the application are roughly meaningless, as anyone with a 4.0 could slaughter anyone with a 3.6 regardless of essays or references). It just seems to me that if GPA was going to be scaled like that, it would need to comprise a much smaller % of the overall pre-interview score.</conjecture>

<hearsay>

From what I gather (mainly from this forum) is that the academic record component of the pre-I score is more of a "rating" of your academic record - that is, the file reviewers have a look at your record and score it out of 50 based on an overall impression (pre-req's? upward trends? "breadth" courses? "bird" courses? etc) </hearsay>

all that considered, none of what I'm saying has any conclusive value - my speculation is as good as anyone else's... unless someone in the know (admissions officer, uc med student, dr lemay) cares to weigh in? :D

Archived