Premed 101 Forums

Ireland

Guest Jimbo

hey kara,

oh really. i am from toronto i live in richmond hill. i know the money thing but see in due time everybody makes that back. thats the other thing i just dont want to take the mcats. i am sure you will get accepted to trinity. i was planning to finish my degree in biochem and then apply but then i came to know that i could apply to only one the universities without the mcats so i decided to apply this year. maybe this is the reason why they told me in may because i am applying to the six year program. if you go decide to go to ireland would you want to practice in europe or come back to NA or even australia.

talk to you soon

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sporter1992

Hi avaid,

I already have a degree in biochemistry and wrote the MCAT, so I applied to the other schools in ireland as well. I'm also in the toronto area.

The money thing is also somewhat concerning. And the euro/canada exchange rate is getting worse these days.

avaid,

My problem is not so much about getting the money back after I graduate but finding the $200,000 that I will need over the 5 years. That's a lot of money for me.

If I was a physician, I would practise in Europe if I had to pick one place between the three but would prefer to work both in Europe and Canada. I have no interest in practising in the States.

Guest tappety tap

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of options in terms of loans...There are very few people that actually have that kind of money! I think with the acceptance, they will send info on loans available.

hey everybody

how is it goin?

yeah they send the info how to get the loans. i know there is one that you can receive close to your yearly expenses you just have to have a second borroweror something of that kind.

kara, i totally agree with you about working either in canada or europe. i would not want to work in the states. well working in canada is kinda impossible unless if they happen to change the rules which seems to be possible because of the large number of doctors that will be retiring eventually and also maybe because of the shortage.

does anyone now what the situation is for working in europe or australia. do graduates from the ireland schools have to give exams.

talk to you soon

Guest Badkarma25

hi everyone,

just submitted my apps with atlantic bridge to ucd, ucc, tcd, and royal college...was told by them i could expect to hear from ucd and tcd in april/may but the other two would be later because i haven't written the mcat yet...i'm a little nervous because i have seen things about a 3.3 average and honestly if i had that, i would have done a masters and gotten into a canadian or american school...anyone have any input? i was told by ab that the reputation of the school you are coming from does matter a great deal and that the irish schools are not nearly as numbers oriented as north american...what i'm saying is i hope my way less than stellar grades are offset by letters of reference etc. i didn't apply late by the way, i had my app in by january 15 and my supporting documents in before february 15th. any input or info would be much appreciated!!!

hi badkarma

hey i thought the aplication were due by feb 15 and supporting documents by feb 28 thats what it says on the sheet i got. did u apply to the five or six year program. maybe that could be the difference. yeah thats what i heard the school you have gone is of importance to them but not as much as te mark. this is what people told me i dont know they maybe wrong. everybody says different stuff and i asked the people in the office in california and they said they look at everything. i hope this helps.

Guest Badkarma25

hi there avaid,

i thought about applying with ab a few years ago but just put it off, and then i just kind of remembered it in early january of this year. i e-mailed them in the first week of january and the guy told me the applications were due on january 15 (just the application form) with the letters of reference and personal statement due on february 15th. he didn't say it was different for a 5 or 6 year program, but i've got a degree so i'm definitely trying for the 5 year. i guess i'm just wondering how long it will take for them to get back to me...i guess it really depends on when you got your stuff in...i'm also worried about marks...mine aren't that great to be honest so i really don't know...i've been told that they're not that important but who knows...hpoe this helps, thanks for writing.

hey badkarma,

what i heard before applying was that they send the replies in march or so. but then i got an email from them telling me i will hear from them in may for ucd and tcd and for rcsi in june. i am right now in my second year of a biochem degree. i have heard that marks matter to a certain degree. where are u at badkarma?

i came to know about the atlantic bridge program in late january and i send them an email and they told me i could apply to the six year program. i dont know lets see what happens. so how does your friend like it over there.

keep in touch

Guest Badkarma25

Hey avaid,

thanks for getting back...we should get in touch via e-mail...just to give you some background on me, i have a b.sc. biology from mcmaster and i'm working on a second degree right now...bio marks aren't great (better in the last 2 years bu still not great)...i hope i didn't sound like i thought marks don't matter for these schools...im sure they do but they don't set cutoffs like canadian schools...i was told by an AB admissions officer that they aren't very numbers-oriented in ireland...he said they use gpa for only a very general guideline...anyway my application was due jan. 15 with supporting documents by february 15 which i faxed on valentine's day...i got an e-mail that day saying that ucd and tcd would review my materials and i could expect to hear from them in april or may, but it would be later for rcsi and ucc as i'm writing the mcat this april so they will wait until they get my scores which won't be til june likely. i have spoken to 3 people over there (one is a friend, two are friends of friends), and they all love it and say that the programs are tough but they enjoy it (they are all at UCD). anyway have you written the mcat yet and what school are you at? so they told you that you could expect to hear in march?????

hey badkarma,

hey my email address is avaid76@hotmail.com i am planning to take the mcats maybe this summer. depending on what happens really. no actually they told me that i will get a reply in may or so for ucd and tcd. and in june for rcsi. what would u do if u graduate from there i know we are thinkin ahead but would you work in north america or plan to stay in europe.

i was talkin somebody who has already graduated from ucc and he told me he loved it. he said that their teaching methods are really outstanding.

talk to u soon

Guest cangirl82

hi, what is everyone's grades like. I am applying for the six year program and i go to ubc. i have a 3.61 cumulative (which is like a 82%) and 93% from high school. does anyone know if that is good enough?

hey cangirl,

those are real good marks. i guess we both are in the same boat, in university and applying to the six year program. what year are u in. in am in second year. my high school avg was not the greatest and my gpa is close to 3.7.

talk to u soon

hey cangirl

i am at u of s. its a good place to study but its boring my sis is in dentistry over here thats why i came here. i am doing a biochem degree what about you.

why are u not applying to the five year program if you are in your third year that way you save a year.

talk to you soon

Guest cangirl82

hi avaid,

i didn't specify whether i was applying for the six year or five year program. I'm just assuming that i would be entering the six year if accepted.

see ya

Hey there,

My due date was also Nov. 15th - I'm guessing that the 6 year program has a later due date...but that's just a wild guess.

Anyhow, about acceptances - I know 2 students currently at ucd, whom last year received their acceptances in mid-feb. and early-march, respectively. Ofcourse, that was last year, and the email i received from The Atlantic Bridge Program stated:

"Their first rounds of offers are usually finalized during the month of March each year. However, this is very much dependent upon the number of applications received and it is possible that it will be later than March in 2003. [Royal College being somewhat later...]"

Cheers,

Andrew

Guest sporter1992

I dont understand how rsci is going to interview in june when TCD/UCD give out offers in march. I heard that if you are accepted in march, you need to respond with a deposit (~$4500) shortly after that. The timing is all off.

Guest Badkarma25

Hey there sporter,

You heard right...at least for me. My application and fees were due January 15 with personal statement and letters of reference due February 15...yours was due in November? Go figure!

Guest sporter1992

hi badkarma,

(hey maybe you should change your name to goodkarma?) Anyways, are you going for the 5 or 6 year program? I'm going for the 5 year, although I dont actually remember saying that anywhere on my application. These dates are bizzare!

Guest Badkarma25

Hey sporter,

maybe you're right, i should change my name...couldn't hurt! i didn't actually specify whether i was going for the 5 or the 6 year program but since i have one degree already and am finishing another this april, i guess it will be the 5 unless i send in my high school transcripts (which were GREAT by the way) and tell them i want the 6 year...i'd probably have a better chance lol. but yeah the dates are weird...everyone seems to have different ones...not sure why though...i just want to hear back one way or the other. Do you have a degree already? I guess you must if you're going for the 5 year...drop me an e-mail if you like, badkarma25@hotmail.com

Guest DMacLach

Hey, I was wondering if you all you guys sent your highschool transcripts? All my stuff was due January 15, but I wasn't aware that we had to send highschool transcripts. Thanks!

Guest Badkarma25

hey,

i don't think you need to send your high school transcripts in...i mean no one asked me to, but like i said, it was made clear from the get go that i was applying to the 5 year program...basically, i think if you're applying and you already have a uni degree, your high school transcripts won't do anything...i think they only want them if you're not done undergrad or if you're coming right out of high school...i think i'll e-mail AB and find out though.

Archived